PDA

View Full Version : okay...kick all sweeteners...NOW what's WRONG??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sherrybee
Sat, Aug-04-01, 17:20
okay...i'm getting a little impatient...i have been the same weight for months and EVEN kicked ALL artificial sweeteners (finally!!!)...i am STILL stuck around 173.....WHY????????....any clues???????????????????

tamarian
Sat, Aug-04-01, 17:28
Hi Sherry,

I usually have a list of things to mention for newbies, but I know you're an experienced low-carber, so further digging in to the details is called for. Few months is a long time for a stall, it's usually 6 weeks-2 months max, I think.

Have you thought of opening a daily food journal to record your daily intake? Someone may spot a culprit, or a possible food allergy.

Just a thought.

Wa'il

sherrybee
Sat, Aug-04-01, 17:37
i basically eat the same stuff.....since i'm a busy person i make lunch and dinner at the same time (morning)....that would be one of two things....chicken with no marinate whatsoever....or ground beef with a little green peppers mixed....break fast is either eggs and bacon or a soy protein isolate baking mix made into pancakes (no sweetner nothing on top--great finger food throughout the day too)....if i snack it's usually olives or pickles and sometimes cheese.......the only one thing i KNOW is wrong is that my water intake could be better....does this help??????

tamarian
Sat, Aug-04-01, 17:43
So, if you reflect back on those few months, you did eat a minumum of 3 meals a day? No under eating?

It's great that you nixed the seetners, you might want to experiment without the baking mix.

Have you tried any stall busters? Such as the Fat fast, if you're following Atkins?

Wa'il

sherrybee
Sat, Aug-04-01, 17:48
now no baking mix????....what's wrong with that????....are you talking about reducing fat intake????......i'm really getting frustrated because if i go above 30 carbs per day here and there i start to gain.....i'm pertty much staying on induction level because it seems that's right below "breaking point" where i start to gain if i go any higher...after 5 months of this i'm starting to think it really may not be for me

tamarian
Sat, Aug-04-01, 17:53
Hi Sherry,

Why not list the ingredients of the baking mix? Just to see if some of the ingredients are possible culprits?

You forgot to answer my other questions. I remember a few times you mentioned you skip meals because you have no time? Right? This is a common staller, since it slows down your metabolism.

Wa'il

sherrybee
Sat, Aug-04-01, 17:58
i have made it a point to get 3 meals a day....this i have been doing for a couple of months now....

tamarian
Sat, Aug-04-01, 18:13
Sherry, you seem to be always in a hurry! :)

First, from other posts you posted, you are not stalled for several months, a recent post you mentioned you lost 5 lbs in 4 days of induction?

I understand the frustration one feels when there are no immediate results, but it's a good practice to keep track of your progress and food intakes, maybe draw a chart along with a journal of daily intake, and include the times you cheated (most of us cheat now and then!).

I know you mentioned your life is busy with work, but your are more important, and a few minuted a day for your health isn't too much to ask if you want to succede!

Wa'il

doreen T
Sat, Aug-04-01, 18:14
I understand though .... I was stalled out from mid-December to the end of May ... and I swear I did everythign right too ..... but by keeping an honest daily diary at fitday.com (I thought I was too busy too ... but it's amazing how you can find a few minutes in another window while yer job is open in another ;)) .. anyway I discovered I was consuming under 1,100 calories a day on a fairly consistent basis. I thought I was eating lots. Go figure :rolleyes:

So, I added fat. Not gobs of flab on my meat .. I still pull the skin off my chicken .... but I added an extra Tbsp x.virgin olive oil to my salad (or season it and use as a dip for the strips of pancake stuff) .. also 1 Tbsp fresh flax oil every day. The 2 Tbsp oil will add about 240 calories. The monounsaturated fat in olive oil will boost fat-burning and weight loss. Wa'il's posted a study on his Studies page about the benefits of olive oil. The omega-3 fatty acids in Flax oil are known to inhibit certain prostaglandins which block the enzyme that burns fat. That too has been published, although I confess at the moment I can't remember .... oh yes, Udo Erasmus, Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill.

Sher, I tell ya, within 2 weeks, the weight started losing again. Slow, but steady. I went from 185 first of May, to 176 in July. That was a big deal for me, being stalled for nearly 6 months.

It's something to consider. your menu really does look too way low in calories. Your metabolism must be slowed to a stand-still.

Doreen

Karen
Sat, Aug-04-01, 18:15
Hi Sherry,

I'm in the same boat as you (extremely long plateau of many months) so what I have done is nixed all dairy products as of 5 days ago. I think this is working because I have lots of opportunity to nibble on dairy throughout the day and when it comes time to journal it, I've forgotten that I ate it.

Do you eat any more vegetables than what you've indicated in your post? Switching to vegetables in place of the pancakes is something to try. Other things: It looks like you may not be eating enough and follow Wa'ils suggestion of the fat fast. It works for a lot of people.

As I recall in your first posts, you indicated that you were a yo-yo dieter. This sets up metabolic resistance and it takes a while to get your body back to "normal". This could be part of it too. It's really helpful to keep a journal, so you really know what you're eating.

Karen

numberonewendy
Sun, Aug-05-01, 07:14
The support here is wonderful guys.

Sherry hang in there. Try what is suggested....don't give up because of a stall.