PDA

View Full Version : Five Days Down - nothing yet

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ImBeck
Fri, Nov-14-03, 14:25
Hi All. I embarked on my lc journey on Monday with the thought that by today I would have struggled through withdrawl and be jumping with joy for a few pounds gone. I've read and reread my book, shopped with all my new guidelines in mind, and drank enough water to float a ship, but only 1/2 lb gone.

Oh well. I'm not discouraged yet. I didn't really experience any major withdrawls. Only a headache one day. It feels so good to have a plan and to actually be doing something that I am committed to sticking with this for awhile. Today I picked up some pictures from a vacation I took a few weeks ago. Wow, talk about inspiration photos. All I need to do to stay committed is look over these shots! Funny how easy it is to believe that I haven't really packed on pounds until the proof is in front of me. I looked at the photos and said, "wait.. who is that person? Oh, that's me."

So, unless I can prove that an imposter really went on vacation and posed for the camera, I'm here to stay for awhile. I'm new to these message boards, but feel free to send me messages! I hope to have some fun with this while I'm at it.

Beck

quibbers
Fri, Nov-14-03, 14:31
Hi Beck :) You hang in there. Everyone is different and it may take a few days for your body to adjust and get things "moving" along there...then soon the "whoosh" fairy will drop in and you'll notice a drop. Have you noticed any difference in the way your clothes fit yet? Some folks see a change in inches before pounds-so it might be enlightening to do some "before" measurements. Good Luck on your new adventure!

ImBeck
Fri, Nov-14-03, 15:19
Wow. A "whoosh" fairy! I'm going to be looking for her/him. That would beat the old tooth fairy by a long shot! Thanks for the encouragement. :)

NickFender
Fri, Nov-14-03, 16:34
Hi Beck:
I bet things will kick into gear any day now. Are you taking any medications or do you have any health problems that might be slowing your progress?

ImBeck
Fri, Nov-14-03, 22:49
Hi there. I am taking medicine to suppress my thyroid function (but I don't have hypo or hyper thyroidism). I had been taking a mild blood pressure med, but have recently stopped that. I started taking a multi vitamin this week.

I'm going to stick with it. I thought this weekend would be tough since my sister and her family are visiting from out of town. But instead of making it tough, she is going to buy the book and try it too.

Serrecko25
Fri, Nov-14-03, 23:21
Beck..... put the scale away for a few days or a week.

We both started the same day. This past Monday. I took the weekend before to sorta ramp up to it. I went out bought the right food, starting figuring out a menu plan, hard boiled more eggs than I needed, and more or less started the diet without really trying.

Now here it is day 5 and I have lost 8 pounds. I didn't lose anything from yesterday but I never thought I would lose a pound a day.

It took ME 21 years to put on 80 pounds, and it will take more than a week to shed it. It will take more than a month to shed it. I have a 10 month plan, more or less to simpply lose weight.

After that (that being my 40th birthday) I will look at where I am, and figure if I need to go further...

One step at a time.... good luck, keep me posted and we both will get through this together.......

Max

Lilbug
Sat, Nov-15-03, 00:54
Hi Beck,

Welcome to the forum. I am new here too, but I really like this place. I haven't posted a lot of questions because looking around I find that I am getting most of my answers by reading.

I have Graves Disease (Hyperthyroidism) so I kind of know the whole thing there you are going through. For the past year I have been working out, haven't lost or gained a single pound. Ofcourse the reason being was because of the way I ate. And especially drank (soda).

I finally decided to clean up what I eat!

But for 2 days now I have been soda free. I started this on the 11th, had one soda, and just one the next day. Although it's not good to have the soda, going from drinking it anytime I was awake, to nothing has been tough!! But I am proud to say that I haven't for 2 days now!

Anyways, good luck and hang in there!!

LilBug

ImBeck
Sat, Nov-15-03, 19:56
Thank you guys for your posts and support. Lilbug, I think cutting back on soda is a great accomplishment in itself. Congratulations! Everything we do that is one step better than what we were doing yesterday is something to be celebrated, I think.

I just finished a family meal with my two sisters from out of town and their families at my parents' house. My family cooks huge meals that are full of everything that I can't have. I had a salad and some of the meat and vegetables from the meal and stopped there. I resisted a table full of my favorite dishes... even black raspberry pie with ice cream! So I'm feeling pretty good about my dedication to this today. In fact, one of my sisters and I spent the day shopping. By the end of the day, she has now bought the same lc book that I'm using, the supplemets, and everything she needs to start lcing on Monday.

Max, thanks for your advice and encouragement. I think it's great that we started this the same day. We will have to keep encouraging each other and comparing experiences. I'm super impressed with what you've lost in this first week... and a little envious. But I have a theory about my lack of weight loss now. I've been taking a mild blood pressure medicine. It's more of a diuretic than anything else. I'm wondering if I just didn't have the water weight to lose that a lot of people lose the first week. I'm interested to see what this next week will bring. Tomorrow is another day.