PDA

View Full Version : Cheese "Grits" Casserole

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Syd
Fri, Nov-14-03, 12:21
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum but purchased Dr. Atkin's first book when it was first published. I think the main reason I never stuck with it was the lack of support. If this forum had been around then (or even the internet - ha), I might have stuck with it for life. This place has truly motivated me to get back on the "wagon".

I tried one of Fran McCollough's recipes from her LC Cookbook, the "Ricotta Puff". It was suppose to be a a dessert dish but I wasn't real thrilled with it as I guess I had never experienced the grain like texture in ricotta before. Being from the south and growing up on "comfort foods", it did sort of remind me of "grits" and I improvised last night and came up to as close as I could to my old standby - "Grits Casserole". I count the whole recipe as 2 servings - I only ate half and saved the rest for today.

1 cup ricotta cheese
1 egg
1 cup shredded cheddar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
pinch or two of salt
1 tablespoon melted butter.

Mix all together and put into a greased 2 cup individual casserole or ramekin.

Bake at 365 degrees for 35 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes.

31 grams protein per serving
5 grams carbo per serving

It was extremely yummy and did remind me of my old grits casserole. Hope you enjoy!

MURPHY
Fri, Nov-14-03, 16:04
I can't wait to try this. I love grits and miss them with scrambled eggs. I'm not much of an egg eater any way so this is great.

Dawna

CajunCarbr
Mon, Feb-09-04, 13:25
Would this be okay for induction?

leasmom
Tue, Feb-10-04, 14:35
My dd eats grits for breakfast-(We're from TENNESSEE, but temp. in Colorado). I grew up on cream of wheat and miss it. I did sneak a tiny amount, like a tablespoon of dd's grits to eat with my eggs so this would help me feel better and stay on target!!!

simplydawn
Fri, Feb-13-04, 14:45
I just made this for my lunch, it was tasty.. not as filling for me as the person above shared, cause I am hungry enough to go have another peice.. but here are the nutritional totals if anyone is interested:

Calories: 497.95
Fat: 38.95
Sat Fat: 23.15
Cholesterol: 212.72
Sodium: 556.15
Carbs: 6.76
Fiber: 0
Protein: 30.17

I served mine with 1 ounce of sour cream.

Dr.Ray
Mon, Feb-16-04, 20:39
Check out the soy grits post :D

babydoll23
Mon, Mar-15-04, 16:53
oh my god! this sounds fantastic! i love grits & do enjoy plain ricotta cheese so i will probably like this. thanks for sharing!