PDA

View Full Version : A newbie in search of accurate info on LC.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Juliekins
Thu, Nov-13-03, 15:28
Now, don't boo me out of the forums...but...here's my story. I've lost 25 pounds doing Weight Watchers. I'm not low-carbing it, although I do make an effort to stay away from refined flours, sugars, etc etc. That's not, however, why I am here.

I'm here because I'm irritated. At what, you ask? WW, actually. WW and their "The Truth About Carbs" pamphlet they handed out. (It's on their website, I'm sure a lot of you have read it but I'm not linking to it as I don't think it deserves the hits from here.) They handed that pamphlet out at my meeting and proceeded to spread lots and lots of what sounded like half-truths (putting it generously) about low-carb diets. My leader specifically named Atkins, South Beach, and the Zone. She made it out like all low-carb diets are just like the "induction" phase of Atkins, which I know is BS. I thought it was unfair and really uncool, since up until now WW hasn't had much to say about low-carb diets. I figured the LC and WW camps could just exist apart from one another and everyone could play nice. I guess I figured incorrectly.

My dad lost 50 pounds and got rid of his diabetes doing a low-carb plan that his doctor prescribed, so I was pretty sure all the stuff I was hearing at my meeting was pretty bogus. So I'm here to learn about LC diets. I want to see how they work for people who are doing them and even learn how I can apply some of the principles to my own life. I'm also planning on reading some LC diet books this winter just to make myself better informed--definitely Atkins, and maybe South Beach. Got any recommendations on books to read and books to avoid?

Thanks for having such a great resource available to everyone, LC and non-LC alike.

Rosebud
Thu, Nov-13-03, 15:40
Hi Juliekins,

It's good to know evryone isn't swallowing the nonsense WW is putting out about low carbing. They are obviously running scared that their profit margins may be affected by people losing weight without turning up to their meetings every week. :daze:

And yes, we already have several links to that article. ;)

If you go to "Which low carb plan is right for me?" at the right side of the screen, you'll find summaries of some of the major plans. That may help you decide which book(s) to buy. You'll also find some good info about low carb in Low Carb Studies on the orange bar that runs across the top of the screen.

Cheers.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

mischa
Thu, Nov-13-03, 15:44
Hello and welcome :wave:

I think it is great that you are doing more research into low carb diets and not just believing the stereo type crap you hear about it :D

I can recommend a great book..it also compares the different low carb diets

Check it out: The Secret to Low Carb Success!: How to Get the Most Out of Your Low Carbohydrate Diet (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1575668955/002-0680892-3215223?v=glance)

Take care

shortstuff
Thu, Nov-13-03, 20:47
Juliekins, thank you for being open-minded enough to want to learn the truth about low carb. Rosebud and Mischa have directed you well.

You also asked what has low carb done for some of us. Well, I can only speak for myself.

I'm losing weight while not being hungry. I'm eating more veggies and whole, natural foods than I have ever done in my life. My blood pressure is down, my blood sugar is normal and my cholesterol is dropping. I'm not losing weight quickly, but then I didn't expect to.

The extra unlooked for bonus? The tremendous feeling of well being and the incredible energy I have from this way of eating. I don't consider this just a weight loss diet, I consider it a way of eating for life and health.

Enjoy your research. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised by what you find.

shortstuff

mb99
Fri, Nov-14-03, 05:15
If Weight Watchers is working for you but you are worried about long term, I would suggest incorporating some lower-carb principles that effect hunger.

Firstly, the old cutting out refined sugar, potatoes etc.

Incorporating some Low GI foods in the start might help - switch your low cal cereal for something like oatmeal with wheat bran (a nutritional wonder food, in my opinion) and a boiled egg. I have some friends who have benefited greatly in terms of energy levels, avoiding junky mid morning snacks etc just by doing this - even a vegetarian friend, on a traditoinally very high carb diet, helped amazingly. I am not converting anyone to Atkins (they don't need to lose weight).. but I have started some crazy GI trend!!

Substitute rice with lower GI varietes... like bismati (sp??) I think... or with couscous. Ditch the pasta, or have smaller portins.

Instead of thinking points, it is a shift to think about nutrition. What is that pasta getting you, nutrition wise?

I think WW fails by encouraging 'spending' of calorie-fat ponts (on anything), rather then targetting the key to keeping weight off: hunger. By learning about how to control hunger might be the best bet. A google search on 'Glycemic index' (spelling? again!!) turns up heaps of stuff...

cheryle
Mon, Aug-16-04, 20:02
I cannot begin to tell you how much I have gained and lost on WW ! That's why I'm trying Atkins now. I am excited because I really feel that this will work! I am so impressed with all the success stories I've read on this website. Even though I'm losing very slowly...I will not give up the fight! :D

I just checked out FitDay. I logged in everything I ate today and was alarmed by the number of calories. Broken down,I was at 70% fat,4% carbs,and 26% protein. Does that sound about right? :q: