PDA

View Full Version : Cavewoman Travel Tips

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Shazzer
Wed, Nov-12-03, 23:13
Recently, I've traveled quite a bit for work. I mostly enjoy travel and actually do it quite extensively. For future trips, however, I would like some advice on maintaining my diet while on the road. Despite trying my best, I have not been totally successful at being Neanderthin although I have been low carb.

I always pack seeds and nuts and for the first day of travel will pack veggie slices and meat for snacks. After that, I seem to be out of luck as I don't take a refrigerator as one of my carry-ons. Most restaurants serve acceptable food if I pick through the menu. But for snacks and while at airports I can't win. Often I find myself in a place that doesn't have a near-by grocery store or really anyplace I can scavenge for good wholesome portable food.

Tonight, for instance, I tried to get something for a dinner at the airport, but could find nothing. In my terminal, there was a stand with candy, a TCBY, and a bagel place. I found nothing suitable and boarded the plane with just my container of nuts. They didn't serve anything except drinks on that flight.

That flight got in very late and I ran to make my connection. On board they served pretzels. So I ate more nuts. I'm kind of sick of nuts right now.

I know I can make stuff like pemmican and I plan to once I get a food dehydrator for Christmas. In the meantime, Help!

Hellistile
Thu, Nov-13-03, 10:30
Shazzer:
Snacks that are non-perishable are raw nuts (not salted, canned or roasted, no peanuts and cashews) (raw nuts I never get tired of because they contain no salt and the pure flavour of each nut comes through beautifully), raw pumpkin and sunflower seeds (or packages of the salted if you can't get raw)(if you are sitting at the airport, crunching on these will keep your mouth and fingers busy for quite a while), bacon rinds (preferrably low sodium) and they don't weigh a ton, canned tuna, sardines and herring that have pull tops (as opposed to using can openers, although you will need a plastic fork and a ton of serviettes), small jars of olives, or pickled peppers/mushrooms/or other pickled veggies (if you like them non-refrigerated), fruits such as avocados, apricots, plums, apples and mandarins, sometimes jerkey that is made by a local butcher without all the sugar and preservatives, canned tomato or vegetable juices (you can buy these in any shop on the road), tiny boxes of raisons or dried fruit (to be used very sparingly but to break the monotony), dried sliced coconut (you could make a trail mix of seeds, coconut, some dried fruit and lots of raw nuts).
BTW what does TCBY mean?

Shazzer
Thu, Nov-13-03, 20:44
TCBY is a chain. It stands for "The Country's Best Yougurt."

I already do the seed/nut thing and it gets quite tiring (I don't eat dried fruit at all because of carbs and only eat fruit once every few days). In eating the way I do, I try to eat as fresh of food as possible. Many canned or packed products like tuna and jerky have way too much sodium and preservatives. Most sit-down restaurants work out well but in my recent travels, I have not been able to find a good restaurant at an airport, or have not had a chance to even look between flights.

Anyway, I feel like I'm stuck. It is so easy to follow this diet at home when I prepare my own foods. But traveling for work makes it very difficult.

sunkist
Fri, Nov-14-03, 07:52
I guess that's where pemmican comes in - for travelling. I have yet to make it -0 but my brother is visiting in February - so I will have him show me how our grandfather taught him to do it. It would really help because it's hard to just carry around meat in the car!!

I also carry nuts and I do carry an apple or two. My big worry is when we go to Brazil if they will have fresh enough eggs for raw egg yolks - I just don't know if they will - I hate to be without them for 2 weeks but I would also hate to eat raw eggs that didn't come from the right conditions. Maybe if I was going to France on a farm or something - that would be different. :cry:

I will see what kind of foods they have and try to adjust as much as possible. I don't want to go overboard on the meat because it can be too much for me personally. I think also I am going to try and stick to paleo as much as possible for the majority of the trip and then splurge a little bit towards the end :wiggle:

I think we'll be doing alot of hiking in the jungles behind the beach so I hope to get in plenty of exercise :yay: