PDA

View Full Version : My name Is Mike, and I'm a fat slob.....

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Serrecko25
Wed, Nov-12-03, 21:54
There, I have said it. I'm overweight, out of shape and taking control for the first time in many many years.

Back in the glory days (high school years) I played football and baseball and some basketball. Totally in shape, 5'10" and 171 pounds of mean, lean muscle.

Now, after travelling around the world for Uncle Sam for 5 years, working in the Internet World for a few years, and now working as a loan officer at a mortgage company, my weight has ballooned to 251 pounds.

So here I am, on Atkins for the last 3 days and have already started to see some weight peel off, but more importantly my mindset has changed. I no longer look at a bag of potato chips and think "Oh yeah, I gotta have that!". I have found the best way to control whatever urges I have to stuff my piehole and it's called "a full length mirror".

I have decided no one can control my weight but me. I found this site just today and joined www.fitday.com tonight to help me in this fight. Tomorrow I see my doctor to make sure I am ready for this thing BUT there is no turning back, there are no excuses, the time is NOW!

As the Hall of Fame football coach, George Allen, once said "The future is now"......

Hello future, my you are looking slimmer by the day....

Max

Lori H
Wed, Nov-12-03, 22:03
Hi and welcome! No more calling yourself names though! :nono: We have all been there, done that. What is important is that we are making lifestyle changes to better ourselves. You will like it here. Lots of support and nice people. We are glad to have you with us!

Mua'Dib
Wed, Nov-12-03, 22:06
I know how you feel man. When I look back at pictures of myself at my old weight it disguists me. I have so much more confidence in myself now. Keep it up!

Serrecko25
Wed, Nov-12-03, 22:07
Thanks Lori H. I only called myself a slob cause no one else will!!!!

I run a huge local web site with a forum like this and part of my online persona is rather self-effacing. I started a thread on my site just tonight about Atkins. I am sure I will get beat over the head tomorrow about it..... but I like this place and look forward to being someone others can look to as a success story....

Now where did I put them Pork Rinds?

Max

Lori H
Wed, Nov-12-03, 22:16
I like your attitude!

Mua'Dib
Wed, Nov-12-03, 22:17
Thanks Lori H. I only called myself a slob cause no one else will!!!!

I run a huge local web site with a forum like this and part of my online persona is rather self-effacing. I started a thread on my site just tonight about Atkins. I am sure I will get beat over the head tomorrow about it..... but I like this place and look forward to being someone others can look to as a success story....

Now where did I put them Pork Rinds?

Max
what's your forum?

Serrecko25
Wed, Nov-12-03, 22:28
Well, my little web page, with pictures of me is www.mikeswebspot.com

My other site with the forum is http://www.shenandoahvalley.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

I am Mike - WM there....... If you want to jump in the thread I started about the Atkins diet, by all means please do. Not looking to promote anything here other than this diet program, the bennies and some success stories.

I know we have a few members on my site that are searching for an answer to their weight problems, but seem to be shut-ins because of it. Anything that gives them hope is a good thing.

The Atkins thread is located at http://www.shenandoahvalley.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=General;action=display;num=1068694877;start=1

Thanks for asking...and thanks for all the great answers and the welcome!!!

Max

horty
Wed, Nov-12-03, 23:48
I know how you feel, when I was in high school and college I too was in shape from playing both high school and college hockey, but after the last 6 years of managing bars and night clubs the beer and chicken wings have decided to make a home around my waist. I ve been going strong for 2 months now and have dropped about 17 lbs. When I saw my dr. he advised against atkins; but when I go to see him next month I know he will be shocked. Good luck

Maurice
Thu, Nov-13-03, 00:36
Hi Max. Welcome, and a few words of caution, stalk up on some flax seek, spinage and possible some phylsium (sp?) husk.. A quick change in diet can bring on a case of the big "C", and having been there!, I take to warning new folks. Also look at getting some vitamin supplements, of potassium, Calcium and Magnesuim. With the gallon or so of water that we are to drink daily we tend to flush a lot of these required nutrients out of our system. The loss of the nutrients tend to cause cramping in your legs in the morning. And one last think..buy the book,,I can say that now cause I did. So I hope I have not scared you off,( I know I ahve not as you sound very committed) but these "effects" can turn folks off if not anticipated in some fashion.

Best wish, and look forward to your posts,

LilaCotton
Thu, Nov-13-03, 01:59
Hiya, Max! I posted to your other thread and hadn't even been formally introduced! ;)

It sounds like you have a super attitude and a super plan! I had to come to the point myself where I stopped saying, 'Wow, I wish I could do something about my weight,' and finally just do it!

I bopped over to your forum, and one thing I think is really important to bring to people's attention, is HOW this way of eating works at reducing cholesterol, and emphasize all of the healthy vegetables we eat! It's about so much more than steak, eggs, bacon and pork rinds and so many people just miss that completely. :)

Best of luck to you!

4beans4me
Thu, Nov-13-03, 08:32
Hi Max! (Mike? What are we supposed to call you? LOL!!) Welcome to the forum!!

I'm off to take a peek at your site :)

Iowagirl
Thu, Nov-13-03, 09:20
Welcome Mike! Congrats on your success so far.

Are you back to exercising?

Serrecko25
Thu, Nov-13-03, 09:44
Hi ya folks, ya I am excerising more. Hell I actually walked to the curb this morning to pick up my trash cans!!!!!

I know, it's not the Boston Marathon, but ya gotta walk before you can run.

I actually am one of those guys that grew up hearing their old man saying "Walk it off, you're young, you'll heal." meaning I played sports, got banged up and felt great until about 20 minutes past my 31st birthday.

Broke both ankles playing high school football, along with an elbow, blew out a knee water skiing and took a baseball to the eye. Now, not sure how taking a ball to the head has anything to do with this, but I gave up running a few years ago.

My excerise program, for what it's worth, revolves around letting the dogs take me for a drag in the evenings or just walking more.....

I want to get down to around 220 before hitting the gym to heavy. I was a weight lifter in my younger days, read as before the age of 25, and I hope one day to get back in there and get into better shape.

Max

PS. My friends call me Max from the old days, my mother calls me too often.

Yesican
Thu, Nov-13-03, 09:46
Welcome!

I can just tell that you are going to do great!
:thup:

Leslie

Iowagirl
Thu, Nov-13-03, 09:48
Max -
Good for you and the dogs! A daily drag is great exercise.

Have you considered working out at home?

There is an exercise thread on this forum, lots of good information.