PDA

View Full Version : Already stalling?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

hey_toast
Wed, Nov-12-03, 20:40
I've been in Induction for 9 days now. It's been great, but the past few days I've noticed something. The first week or actually the first 6 days I was really surprised when I dropped 12 lbs. My job is a bit physical (carpet installer), but aside from that during the first week I was doing sets of sit-ups, push-ups and some light weightlifting ( have a few sets of dumbbells).

Since Monday I've started running 2 miles a day as well as the other exercise. I have not changed my eating habits and have been taking my vitamins religiously. For 3 days now I've been stuck at the same weight, I don't understand this as I thought for sure once I started running again it would only fuel the weight loss even more. Is this normal or has it happened to others and how long did the "stall" last?

I'm not letting it get to me too much as I plan to stay in Induction for another 2 weeks maybe 3, so I think I'll have plenty of time to burn. But was just curious as it seems like it happened so quick. Thank you all for any help or comments.

Lori H
Wed, Nov-12-03, 22:11
First of all, a true stall is 6 weeks with no pounds OR inches lost. You have nothing to worry about. You are doing great! You may be replacing fat with muscle which weighs more but takes up less room on the body. Muscle is good! Also your body won't lose weight every day like it does at first. It is entirely normal for it to slow down as your body adjusts to a new weight. Just keep up the good work. You have no worries!

LilaCotton
Thu, Nov-13-03, 02:18
Hi there! This way of eating really seems to do that! It seems like a person loses quite a few pounds during the first couple of weeks, then either stops for a while (a week or two) or slows way down. Basically what is happening is that your body went *poof*, lost a bunch of pounds, and now it's starting to take all that good protein you're eating and build muscle.

I posted an interesting tidbit about what happened with my two daughters and their lean body mass over the past couple of weeks in my journal. Needless to say, we were all surprised and very happy. :)

tampa_girl
Thu, Nov-13-03, 05:57
I'd also suggest not weighing yourself every day....you're bound to be disappointed that way because our weight fluctuates so much. Try once or twice a week. I know it takes discipline to stay off the scales because we want so much to see a loss but you can do it! :wiggle:

4beans4me
Thu, Nov-13-03, 08:10
Stay focused toast! It WILL work! :)

Maurice
Thu, Nov-13-03, 09:26
Hey toast. If you look at my weight loss pattern, and many others around hear, it pretty much follows your. We all loss a lot the first week to 10 days then slow down. And I am not so sure that a bad thing. If it all came off so quickly, well, I would just go out and have me some fries or other junk food to celibrate. ha ha. I do think having it come off 1-2 lbs per week is more healthy. Also, every time I think I have quit losing, within the next couple of days another pound or so comes off. I felt the same as you to start with, WOW.. I will be at my prefered weight within 6 weeks... Let me assure you it is not a straight down hill run, you may even have days when you may have gained back a pound or two. But what I have observed as this is the only program that has go me under 200 lbs since I went over about 4 years ago.

Best of luck with it. I admire your exercise regime.

hey_toast
Thu, Nov-13-03, 14:10
(maybe a long post coming, sorry!)
Thanks everyone for the words and reassurance 8)

Maurice, that's pretty close to my weight situation. 3 or 4 years ago I was in incredible shape, weight lifted, trained in martial arts heavily and had no problems with what, when or how much I ate. Then I had some personal problems that put training and things on hold for a while. And before I knew it I was 30 lbs over what I used to be! I was too depressed at the time to even notice (the weight wasn't the reason for the depression mind you). And I wasn't active at all during that time (unless you call getting up to go to the bathroom active).

I will be honest and say that I started Atkins because of the amount of weight loss I know people have had with it. To me even knowing how much overweight I was, I didn't really look it. But I could tell, even when I wanted to I couldn't muster up the energy to go and train. Thats where I planned on Atkins coming in. To give me a quick drop in weight (even a bit) to get back some of my energy and stamina. I have to say, so far losing only the 12-13 lbs I have I feel a big difference. I know I will be back up to the active level I was previously. But right now I still feel a little ashamed, so that's one reason I put off getting back into training. I feel I owe it to my teachers to come back in good shape and ready to go with no baggage attached. Will I continue through all the phases of Atkins even after I reach my weight? To be honest again, I don't know maybe, maybe not. I do know however I won't eat pizza 4 days out of the week or eat out everyday of the week. It's starting to feel too good right now to go back to that. Sorry for rambling, thanks for listening.