PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mcteerg
Tue, Nov-11-03, 14:40
I have tried many diet plans and am now desperate! My daughter is getting married in seven months and I want to lose a lot between now and then. I just can't get on anything that seems to work and have been very overweight for over twenty years. I clicked on this support group basically to find out how it works. Sorry to be a bother and so lengthy; I guess I should have read the book first. I can do that after Christmas, but right now I am overwhelmed with school. What should I do between now and then? Any advice would be greatly be appreciated, and I am anxious to receive some replies.

lkonzelman
Tue, Nov-11-03, 14:50
You do need to do some reading to figure what you are willing to stick to.

Click on the quick links on the right and see some low carb plans that may be good for you.

livingintn
Tue, Nov-11-03, 15:06
First, you've taken a good first step in finding this board! It really is invaluable in getting support and getting your questions answered.
However, you do really need to read and do some research into which diet plan you think is right for you. I'm a bit biased, but I prefer Atkins. You can pick up the book (Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution) at Wal-Mart for around 5 bucks. You could prob even get it at the library.
You don't seem to have a ton of weight to lose, so it's definitely possible to be at your goal weight after 7 months after doing a low carb plan. HOWEVER, just so you know, low carb plans like Atkins are NOT temporary fixes. You should keep this in mind before you start; these plans are for life. You have to commit to it to be successful.
I wish you luck, and if you have any specific questions, there are always people here to help you! :)

woolina
Tue, Nov-11-03, 15:14
I agree with the posts above. You have to decide this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. You will see it referred to here as WOE (way of eating) or WOL (way of life) because we are commiting to it for our health for the rest of our lives. When I started this WOE I was thinking, I can do this long enough to lose weight and then someday my CCL (critical carb level) might be high enough that I can have a treat now and then. But I have to tell you that after eating this way and feeling the energy and health benefits I do, it reinforced that I could do it forever. I will never go back to the refined products and treats I used to eat, they are not worth me not feeling this good. You will also notice people posting about how they would continue this WOE even if they didnt lose weight and how some people go through stalls of no weight loss for months. The overall good feeling you get from eating healthy is worth it alone. Look into a couple of plans and decide what is right for you, but I certainly recomend jumping on the "low carb bandwagon"!!!

downscale
Tue, Nov-11-03, 16:34
My original motivation was Mother-of-the-Bride, too, so I can sympathize. I love this diet because I find the underlying principles so simple. If you want a quick version -- stay away from sugar and sugar substitutes and starches (another form of sugar), and stay away from grains. Control your portions. Drink lots of water. That's all there is to it:
If it's sweet, don't eat.
If it's white, don't bite.
Drink water 'til you float.

That said, you will do a lot better the more you read -- if you understand how this diet works, it is a lot simplier to make decisions.

Also -- exercise helps a lot, and I don't eat anything after dinner.

And don't underestimate how important the water is. Whatever you are drinking now, drink water instead. It's dull, but it's a great start.

Part of your success depends on how much you want this. Good luck.

tofi
Tue, Nov-11-03, 16:46
You can also go to www.atkincenter.com and click on "How to do Atkins". There's also a section on "The Science Behind Atkins".

THis is a change to your whole way of eating and your view of food. You DON'T go hungry, you DO lose and your health improves.