PDA

View Full Version : new to the world of atkins

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

fritz
Tue, Nov-11-03, 12:24
[/SIZE][SIZE=2]Im hoping somebody out there can give me some advice, I,ve been on the atkins diet for about a month and lost 9lbs yet the weight is very slowly coming off even though i,ve kept to the induction part. Im not sure how much food im allowed to eat, i usually have a large cheese omlette for lunch and a large steak with salad and a bit of brocolli for dinner, in the evenings i,d snack on two pork sausages and i have 5 cups of decaf with whipping cream each day. am i eatting too much. ive also started exercising 3 times a week. please help as i feel im at a stale mate.

lkonzelman
Tue, Nov-11-03, 13:56
This is not a fast weightloss diet this is a healthy way to eat everyday whenever you are hungry and to be satisfied while SLOWLY get to your goal weight.

The slowly teaches you to eat right and patience so this time you keep it off. You will not lose weight everyday. Your body will get into natural stalls where it needs to catch up with the weight it has lost. It is good to take measurements now because usually in a stall (4 weeks of no weightloss) you usually are still losing inches.

Realistic weightloss expectations are 10% of your goal of weight to lose is usually lost during induction then 5% of the remaining weight to lose approx every month.

You only wanted to lose 25lbs which would have been approx 2.5 pounds during induction and about 2 lbs each month after. You are doing awesome and if you have taken measurements i'm sure you have lost many inches.

Relax and enjoy finally eating without guilt.

fritz
Tue, Nov-11-03, 14:13
Thank you for your very quick reply, i take it my diet is ok and shall continue on

lkonzelman
Tue, Nov-11-03, 14:17
You are doing great!

potatofree
Tue, Nov-11-03, 15:59
The five cups of decaf with cream caught my eye... you may want to try cutting back on the cream, althouh it IS allowed. It contributes almost a gram of carbs per 2 tbs. Just a thought... you may find your weightloss picks up if you cut it back.

fritz
Tue, Nov-11-03, 16:08
didnt realise there was so much carbs in cream, do you know of any alternatives as im a real decaf junkie yet dont like it black, any advice on red wine another drink i love and unfortunately havent had a drop, did have a couple of glasses of white yet not to sure on the carb value on that, any ideas more than welcome and thanks for your response

Velvet
Wed, Nov-12-03, 04:38
Try the carb counter on this website for info about red and white wine - you can have some. As for the "whitener" for decaf - I have the same question, so I shall wait for some brilliant ideas!

tampa_girl
Wed, Nov-12-03, 05:59
Red wine has 2 carbs....I know because it's my passion too! :)

lkonzelman
Wed, Nov-12-03, 07:16
alternatives as im a real decaf junkie yet dont like it black
Remember that coffee, decaf or not, has carbs too. Each 8 oz = 1 carb
Each packet of sweetner = 1 carb
Each oz of cream = 1 carb

It does add up but I think 3 a day were always worth it.

adkpam
Wed, Nov-12-03, 07:36
My only suggestion is more veggies? There are so many vegetables suitable for Induction and beyond, and I'm convinced your body lets go of fat faster when it gets enough veggies.
I don't want to hear "I don't like vegetables." You can drench them in butter and sprinkle them with Parmesan cheese. Salads with real dressing.
I'm eating more vegetables than ever before...and loving it!

BLBM
Wed, Nov-12-03, 08:43
Just another quick comment on the coffee part of that as I am a coffee junkie too, I just recently found out on here that FOLGERS brand , even decaf has 3 carbs per tablespoon UNBELIEVABLE . anyway if that is the brand you drink you may want to find a brand lower in carbs. I am still looking for 1 so I will let you know if I find one.

4beans4me
Wed, Nov-12-03, 09:01
Just a comment on the folgers coffee... I am still trying to figure out WHY that brand has more carbs? I mean, isn't a coffee bean a coffee bean???

Serrecko25
Wed, Nov-12-03, 22:22
Actually no. A coffee bean is not a coffee bean.

A lot of what a coffee bean ends up being takes place in the roasting of said coffee bean.

My brother, God love him, runs a coffee bar and I have worked for him over the years and have talked with tons of coffee goobers. The bean starts off as any other bean, but depending on the processing of that bean, the end product can even be decaf.

Funny how things that are equal are only that way before man puts his hands on it.....

Max