PDA

View Full Version : week 3 in Induction no weight loss ??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

paully33
Tue, Nov-11-03, 09:18
Hi there ... I decided to give Atkins a try... to lose about 10lbs... My husband is doing it and doing great... ( and he cheats) me on the other hand unless atkins bar a couple times a week is cheating then I am puzzled...I figured at least a lb or two should have been by now... right from the start I test for ketones and yup i am in ketosis and remain ther med colour... I am ready to give up... it makes no sense??has any one ever need to lose just a little... yes I measured my self nothing...Its really a puzzle??
Any I dea some one help?

padruga
Tue, Nov-11-03, 11:00
Paully, post your typical menu...that'll help identify if there's a problem there.

paully33
Tue, Nov-11-03, 11:33
Thanks here goes...
Firstly just some in put... I am a Flight Attendant so I need to be able to pack things that will last a bout 4 days long and do not need to be heated or cooked because I have to eat it cold...
morning consits of 2 boiled eggs when on the road unless i have access to a restaurant or at home then its a 2 egg omelete...lunch usually when on the road roasted turkey or beef lunch meet rolled around a small cheese stick...a few olives celery with cream cheese... or cucumbers miday maybe a snack ( atikins bar2carbs) or atkins 2carb muffin.. some times I have an endulgence treat...atkins one over the entire day when I am working long shift....dinner meat of some sort, salad ceasar or greek..., I have cut out caffine but do drink decaf coff with cream...aprox 2 cups a day...?? I do exersice 30 min run on treadmill when able to depending on sched... and do toneing exercises abs/ legs squats etc... Oh and yes I do drink Lots of water approx 3 litres a day...
any sugestions

Isiar
Tue, Nov-11-03, 11:43
Paully
Have you think that maybe you are not loosing weight because you do not have any weight to loose?
At your 110 pds and 5 feet you are already in the low end of a healthy weight.
Although, if you decide to keep going it probably will be very slowly for the reason that you donīt have too much to loose.
Cheers, isiar

LilaCotton
Tue, Nov-11-03, 18:28
Hi, Paully! Do you know what your body fat percentage is? If not, you can measure yourself (you need waist and hips), and enter it at this website: http://www.zoneperfect.com/Site/content/Calculator_Women.asp to find if you really do need to lose any weight. I am thinking a healthy body fat for a woman is somewhere around 24%. Hopefully if I'm wrong, someone will correct me.

A lot of time what happens with Atkins is that you increase your protein intake to a healthy amount, so that your body uses that protein to repair damaged or grow new muscle, so instead of losing pounds, you actually end up gaining muscle mass while at the same time losing weight.

WendyLynn
Tue, Nov-11-03, 22:22
paully, I am also 5 feet tall and weigh 95 lbs. I have a very petite bone structure so 95 lbs is perfect and not anorexic :) I started more than two years ago at 112 just like you. It took me a year and a half of controlled carb eating to drop those 17 lbs. I think the thing that made the most difference to my body shape was weight training. I have always done the treadmill but after a while it had no external impact. Maybe my heart was healthy but my butt wasn't budging. I started working out with weights and machines at a gym and that is what got my weight to find a perfect spot to stay...and it has for over a year now. I don't know how you can work it into your busy schedule as a flight attendant but if you can find a way to increase your exercise you will see a slow but sure change. Good luck.

paully33
Tue, Nov-11-03, 23:07
dear wendy lynn thankyou.... for your support... for most trying to lose weight they feel that I am the right weight but for people our size putting 5-10lbs on our small frames is like 30-40 for some one taller ... thanks again...when you said strict carb control.. did you mean a year of induction??

WendyLynn
Wed, Nov-12-03, 11:57
Hi paully, I do know what you mean about a few pounds on a small short frame. Its a percentage thing. Not fair, but we just don't have as much room to spread the weight out! lol. No, I am sorry if I was unclear in my previous post. I was not on induction at all for my weight loss. My controlled carb program was a lot like South Beach. I rarely ate things made with white flour or sugar(plus no white rice or pasta or potatoes). My carbs came almost completely from the veggies and occasional fruits that I ate along with meats, poultry, and cheese. Plus, I really don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners, so I don't use diet drinks and sf desserts. Every body and every metabolism is different. Some people really have to watch every carb others can get away with much more. My 5 ft tall daughter (whose stats are under my name here) has been eating 25-30 carbs a day for 8 weeks now. The good news is that she stopped gaining. The bad news is that she has lost, gained, and lost again 2 pounds total. For a 15 yr old who is trying very hard, that is very frustrating. But thats her body and her metabolism. Its going to take time. Plus she has to find time to exercise. I really believe that is the key.
Good luck on your journey! Be patient and look at it as a life style change. You will see change over time. Perhaps it would be better to weigh yourself less often. Work toward a (small) monthly goal of a pound or two (depending on how many special occasions are in that month that might create opportunities for being off track). Slow but sure wins the race. Keep writing and let me know how its going! Oh, one more thing...does the 33 after your name mean your age? If so, congrats on working on this before you hit the big 40. It sounds crazy but the moment you turn 40 the warrenty on your body runs out and you are dealing with a body that doesn't respond the way it use to. Don't get me wrong. I love being in my 40's BUT it gets harder to fight your body's natural tendency to store fat in the middle. So get to it! :)

paully33
Wed, Nov-12-03, 17:34
Hi wendylynn...
thanks for the imput... :) Your right slow and steady wins the race... but its so much more exciting if you win the sprint as apose to the marathon...lol
Actually I am turning 38 on the 17th of this month... and very anxious to get back into my wardrobe... :thup: Do you take any suppliments?
talk soon
Paully

WendyLynn
Thu, Nov-13-03, 10:11
hi paully,
I have always been really bad about suppliments and vitamins in general. I know that I should be taking more than I am (esp. calcium) but I HATE taking vitamins. If I take them in the morning they make me nausious. Then I forget to take them later (thats another thing that goes at a rapid pace after 40....your brain lol) I am trying to at least take a multi-vitamin. But if I am completely honest with you, my answer would be a simple, "No, I don't take any suppliments." :)
Have a great day !
Wendy

ALEKA
Fri, Nov-14-03, 00:06
Hi Paulie--The less weight you have to lose the harder and longer it takes to lose it. If you look at peoples journals--you will see that the last few pounds are the hardest to get off. Hang in there!! Alice