PDA

View Full Version : Scared to leave induction

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Supermommy
Mon, Nov-10-03, 12:56
I have been on induction for almost a month now and have lost 16 pounds.
I am terrified to leave induction !
I honestly do not mind watching my carb intake and have become very good at it thanks to this forum.
My concern is that I will stall as soon as I do and even more concerned that it isn't healthy for me. I was brave enough to add a few sunflower seeds to my salad today but how do I get past this fear of gaining it all back ?
I know it sounds silly but will it harm me if I stay in this limbo until I reach my goal ?

pammiejoe6
Mon, Nov-10-03, 13:43
From what Ive read you are fine in the induction stage for up to 6 months and even more as long as you are taking a vitamin. I am also afraid to go off induction...i am almost to 6 weeks and have lost a solid 20 pounds...i had a few cashews and a couple of drinks, but i have been very good staying under 20 g every day. I think I will also stay in induction for a while longer until i need more options in food. I have so much to lose I want to get it really flowing before I cut back. Good Luck in your quest hon!! You can do it!!!

johnnymo
Mon, Nov-10-03, 14:31
I feel ya !! I've dropped 12 lbs in the first 8 days and I feel like I don't want to get off induction until I get within 10# of my goal. That 11# is 25% the way for me to desired weight, and I too fear I will "stall" if I raise the carb level. It feels great to be here, and I've never tried to eat any differently in my life before. But this way seems to benefit me weight wise, and as I read and research, health wise. I'm finding more variety in foods and preparation every day, and I love it :) peace/out

adkpam
Mon, Nov-10-03, 14:39
Dr. Atkins said it wouldn't be a problem to stay on Induction, as long as those 20 grams of carbs get spent on vegetables and other healthy things.
I can certainly understand wanting to keep the ball rolling, so to speak.

Kathy54
Mon, Nov-10-03, 16:50
To be honest, supermom, I think you should be moving on to OWL,you are only 13 pounds from goal, those can easily be lost during OWL, while at the same time you can be enjoying more foods, BUT do it buy the book, follow the guide for what to introduce and at the rate of 5 grams per week and you'll do just fine.

I attribute a great deal of my success to moving on with the plan, not hanging on to induction. Cause here I am sitting in Maintenance eating all kinds of variety and I can still easliy lose without trying :) my system has gotten used to the variety, many make the mistake of not adding in foods then all of a sudden they get to goal and adding them in at that time can be touching mostly cause they just start eating it rather than introducing them slowly like OWL should be.
Hope that makes sense :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Now if you had 30 plus more to lose. I'd say stick with induction a wee longer :agree: :) :)

Cheers Kathy

NickFender
Mon, Nov-10-03, 17:14
Supermommy:
I agree with Kathy, move on to OWL now in a very controlled manner, so that you'll know for certain what level of carbs you should be targeting when you reach maintenance. Better to lose the weight carefully than quickly.

Katyspice
Tue, Nov-11-03, 03:47
I am sooo glad you posted your concern about leaving induction. I had been on induction from Sept 1st and was verrrry worried that I would "fall all the way down the hill" if I started OWL.

Guess what? You gotta trust Dr A. I boosted my carbs a little (10 grams) and lost 6 more pounds. I also like the idea of slowly discovering a more sensible and sustainable plan for my lifetime.

Give it try....

4beans4me
Tue, Nov-11-03, 08:19
I too was worried about leaving induction. I now eat roughly 25 carbs a day.. some days a bit more, some days a bit less. I am still losing consistently. I needed the variety OWL offers, so many yummy foods come back into your menu! I am a few pounds away from my goal and will try to start upping the carbs to 30-35 over the next few weeks to prepare for maintenance. My goal is to get into a *buffer zone* for the holidays. :)

kevins7189
Tue, Nov-11-03, 08:33
I should have stayed on induction. I spent three weeks on induction, then tried the next stage, added an oz or so of sunflower seeds and almonds, and a little more cheese. I seems to have stalled now... trying to figure out what to do now. Not sure I can get back to induction and start loosing again...

kyrasdad
Tue, Nov-11-03, 19:22
More or less, I haven't left induction in two months and I feel great. I do stray from it a bit, as you'll see below. I was concerned about it, but my feeling is that as long as you're feeling good and losing weight, boost it a bit but no more than you feel comfortable.

Let's see today I had:

* Breakfast - bacon & couple slices of Cracker Barrel Cheddar cheese.

* Lunch - reheated t-bone steak from my last marathon BBQ session & a small salad with lettuce, cucumber, bacon bits (getting lotsa bacon), and a touch of ranch dressing.

* Midafternoon snack - Sugar free Jello.

* Dinner: 2 fajitas made with low-carb tortillas, (3NC each), beef (more leftover grilled steak), onions, bell peppers, cheese, and a bit of sour cream. Then I had a half cup of the Bryer's low-carb ice cream. The low carb tortillas are not great, but not offensive tasting either.

I don't count the carbs at this stage. I have no idea what that day's menu had. Maybe 25-30. Some days it's less than 20. Some days up to 35.

My only advice based on limited experience is to really follow the vitamins regimen. I got the god-awfulest leg cramps when I was not doing it right. One of them I swear I thought a shark had my leg.