PDA

View Full Version : Carb count question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

JoanJ
Sun, Nov-09-03, 17:16
I am setting up my fitday information and that is what I'm going to use to help me figure out how many carbs I'm getting, but wondering if I'm doing something wrong. :confused:

I was reading the forums here and came across this comment:

'I entered 1 cup of cabbage into fitday.com and found these results:
Total Carbohydrate 4.83g Since it contains Dietary Fiber 2.05g in 1 cup, and you subtract that, the Effective Carb Count is only about 2.78 gm for a whole cup. '

So, I went to my fitday daily foods and put in that I ate one cup of cabbage for the day, just as a test. In my total carbs for the cabbage, it said 5. I do see that the cabbage does have Dietary Fiber of 2.05, but it's not being subtracted out in my daily totals.

If you are supposed to subtract out the Dietary Fiber, how do you get fitday to do that? I'm thinking that if fitday doesn't do that, then I won't get an accurate carb count for the day and might really screw up.

Thanks!

Rosebud
Sun, Nov-09-03, 17:43
Hi Joan,

Fitday doesn't subtract fibre, and I don't think there is any way of getting them to do it.
So we just do it ourselves. For example, if the total carbs come to 31, with 10g fibre, you have had 21g net carbs for the day. :)

HTH

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

JoanJ
Sun, Nov-09-03, 17:49
Thanks! :daze: This is so confusing, but I think I'm getting it.

So, if my daily carb totals on fitday say this:
Carbs: 14 55 10%
Fiber: 1 0 0%
...then I really have only had 13 carbs so far today?

Am I doing this right?

Rosebud
Sun, Nov-09-03, 18:02
So, if my daily carb totals on fitday say this:
Carbs: 14 55 10%
Fiber: 1 0 0%
...then I really have only had 13 carbs so far today?
Yep, you're doing it right! :thup:

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

JoanJ
Sun, Nov-09-03, 18:09
Hey, thanks! :bhug: I would never have realized that if it weren't for this site.

Now I can have a tad bit more dressing on my salad tonight, or I can have an extra boiled egg in it, or, or, or... It's kinda fun to figure out how to best use those carbs. :yum:

I'm not enjoying the weighing and measuring though. Dirties too many dishes. :p