PDA

View Full Version : Hello :)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

TeeLopez
Sun, Nov-09-03, 12:59
Hello, I'm a newbie.

I started South Beach Diet last Monday. I don't like to weigh myself because I get frustrated easily by fluctuations. I've been known to call it quits if I feel I've been working hard and then the scale says I've gained, or not lost. So I think it's best I don't get on too often. For some reason, measuring inches doesn't upset me as much. I have lost 3 inches.

I read the Dr. Phil book, (I know a lot of people think he's a bit of a dolt), but I needed to do that first. I needed to work out some of the "therapy" aspects of why I don't lose weight. Forgiving people who made fun of me as a child - and all that other hokey stuff.

Then I read the South Beach Diet, (although I see most everyone is on Atkins.) I am starting my second week of induction with no cheats! YAY ME! :) I have done Atkins before (just like every other diet on the planet), and it worked, but South Beach Diet just works better for me personally.

I am trying to view this as rehab. Just like people commit themselves to a hospital to get over heroin or cocaine - that is how I feel about carboyhdrates... I don't know what I'll do at the end of this next week when I can start adding things back in. The idea of it scares me.

I am a SAHM (Stay-at-home-mom), with a 5 yr old boy and a 2 yr old boy. They still have a full plastic pumpkin full of Halloween candy. I want to cry when I think about it.

Luckily, my mom is doing this with me - so we try to keep each other in check and we talk daily. My husband is supportive of the idea of weightloss, but not so much so that he'll do it with me. :p --- Maybe he'll change his mind when I'm a skinny minny and he's worried about if he's good enough looking to keep me? ;)

I hope to make some new, supportive friends!
Hugs to all.
Tee Lopez

stephiewil
Sun, Nov-09-03, 13:38
Welcome Tee, I am a new member too. I have come and gone a few times but plan on staying around this time. I like all the information there is here and so many nice people. I have been a stay at home mom for twenty years. I now work at home since all but one of our kids is out on thier own, and he is fourteen so Mom can have a life for really the first time. Our third oldest is also the third one to get married and they are getting married tomorrow. I never thought at 43 we would have three married kids and one grand kid and one on the way, no, not the one getting married, her soon to be hubby is getting deployed to Iraq and they want to be married before he goes.
It is wonderful you get to be home with your kids too, I have never regretted staying home with our four, I was very lucky to have been able to and loved being home with them.
I loved your rehab comments, that is really how I am looking at it too. I am as addicted to carbs as others are to drugs or alchohol. It is very bad, and it is starting to cause me some health issues. I have to stay off the carbs. My body is telling me in no uncertain terms that I just cannot eat them anymore.
Glad to meet you and look forward to watching you post your progress. Stephie :)

TeeLopez
Tue, Nov-11-03, 12:56
Thanks for replying, Stephie.

See you around!
Tee

Tekcor1
Sun, Nov-16-03, 11:31
Tee,

Welcome to the forum! Your "addict checking into the hospital" is an excellent analogy. The hard part is realizing that an addict will always be an addict, and part of addiction is staying in recovery permanently. This means that you can't just do South Beach until you're feeling better (i.e. lost the weight) and then go back on carbs. That would be like a coke addict going into rehab until he kicks the habit and then promply snorting another line. Just doesn't make sense, does it?

Anyway, good luck with continued success and welcome again to the forum!