PDA

View Full Version : splenda confusion!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

dmjd2
Sun, Nov-09-03, 09:02
okay, i enjoy induction and i'm in my fourth wk. if 3pks of splenda a day is the max, how is it that other memebers are able to have all these recipes and splenda sweetened drinks but don't complain of being kicked out of ketosis. Is it me?

waist watchers is a splenda sweetened soda, 0 carbs, but how many cups of this stuff can i have and stay at the 3pk splenda a day rule??????

Kristine
Sun, Nov-09-03, 13:09
Moderate amounts of splenda shouldn't kick someone out of ketosis - the point of limiting them on induction is to break your sweets addiction. :thup: Adding them back in occasionally is okay once you're in OWL.

I'm not sure about the packet vs the diet soda, but a cup of the soda probably has a lot more than in a packet. :(

TAK
Sun, Nov-09-03, 13:53
Now, I'm confused. I though Splenda was okay. Are those limits in the Atkins book?

nawchem
Sun, Nov-09-03, 13:59
For induction Dr. Atkins limits the total amount of artificial sweetners to 3 per day, so if you drink sweetened drinks that counts in your total.

dmjd2
Sun, Nov-09-03, 15:33
but how much of the sweetened drink is equivalent to the total?

nawchem
Sun, Nov-09-03, 20:11
I usually count one can of diet rite as 1 carb, I figure if it is more than 1 they would have to print it on the label. But I don't know if that's actually the right answer. Does anyone know this one?

I just started getting into cooking, I don't know how people can use so much splenda and stay in ketosis. I think we're better off if we save the sweets for maintenance or those moments when we would cheat if we didn't have something to fall back on. I'm planning on making desserts for Thanksgiving and Christmas for that reason.

Tiawyn
Sun, Nov-09-03, 22:08
I usually count one can of diet rite as 1 carb, I figure if it is more than 1 they would have to print it on the label. But I don't know if that's actually the right answer. Does anyone know this one?

I just started getting into cooking, I don't know how people can use so much splenda and stay in ketosis. I think we're better off if we save the sweets for maintenance or those moments when we would cheat if we didn't have something to fall back on. I'm planning on making desserts for Thanksgiving and Christmas for that reason.

Diet Rite should be virtually 0 carbs, because they use the liquid splenda (which is only officially available to manufacturers) instead of the packets (or bulk - both of which contain malodextrin as a bulking agent, which is what adds the carbs) It certainly wont hurt you to count it as 1 carb though.

Splenda shouldn't kick you out of Ketosis - like someone else said, limiting splenda is more to break addictions to sweet tastes in general. Splenda wont raise your blood sugar like real sugar - which in turn doesn't cause insulin reactions. Your body also can't store splenda as glycogen, (the lack of stores of glycogen is, from what I know, the what kicks us into ketosis)

potatofree
Mon, Nov-10-03, 15:39
Tiawyn-- you took the words right out of my mouth. The three packet a day rule serves two purposes... both to limit your intake of sweet-tasting thing to help break the sweet addiction, AND because the packets are 1 gram each due to the bulking agents. You don't want to "spend" all your carbs on that, rather get them from FOOD.

Some people ARE sensitive to sweeteners, myself included. I lose much better when I limit them, since for me, they set off cravings for more sweets. It's an individual thing.

Tekcor1
Sun, Nov-16-03, 11:36
The other thing to remember is that while too much Splenda may not kick you out of ketosis, for some people it will cause them to stall out anyway. So be aware that if you are having lots of spenda and stalling out, that may be the reason. Try cutting it out for a week and see if it makes a difference.

I personally don't have a problem with artifical sweeteners. I cut out diet soda for the first month I was on Atkins, and then slowly introduced it back in (still making sure I got all my water in for the day), and it hasn't slowed my progress. Good luck!