PDA

View Full Version : Pleasant surprise

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

hey_toast
Fri, Nov-07-03, 21:14
Hello,
I've been doing the Atkins diet (or my own take on it) since Monday. I got the book a few weeks ago and have been reading through it. I was a bit nervous at first because of the repeated "follow this menu to the letter, etc" throughout the book regarding induction. So driving myself almost sane with doing all the calculations and everything I decided to sort of "play it by ear", let my body be my guide. I don't know if some would handle a pretty basic and repetitive menu I've been using, but here it is:

Breakfast
3 scrambled eggs
1 6-8oz strip steak
1/2 of a vine tomato
sometimes 1 stick of string cheese (mozzarella 1g of carb per stick)

Lunch
3 boneless, skinless chicken strips (breast meat)
1-2 cups of spinach, cucumbers and green peppers

Snack
1-2 sticks of string cheese
or
1-2 hard-boiled eggs

Dinner
1 6-8oz strip steak
1 hard-boiled egg
1-2 cups of spinach, broccoli and tomatoes
1-2 sticks of string cheese

Supplements I've been taking are the Atkins Basic3 3x daily and Kaizen Precision EFA 2x daily. I might switch the meals around some days but the above is pretty much all I've been consuming; eggs, beef, chicken, cheese and raw vegetables. Water is all I drink and drink anywhere from 6-8L a day (wow I never went to the bathroom so much!)

I thought it was going to be extremely hard, because I'm a big bread eater and I absolutely love pizza. But aside from the first 2 days, which I understand are tough because of the transition, it's been a breeze. Since Monday I've dropped 9-10lbs. The plan is to drop 20 more pounds before I come out of Induction and open up my menu a little bit. I've used the Ketone strips a couple times now. I don't know how much weight they carry (no pun intended), but each time they showed what seemed like the 160 mark. Though I'm not sure, I know the color was darker than the 80 mark, but it didn't seem quite like the 160.

I've also found that after the 3rd day, my appetite wasn't what it was. The first 2 days, I could eat the breakfast I mentioned and think about having more. On the 3rd day I had to put half of the steak in the fridge for later! Another thing is now when I get hungry, it doesn't bother me at all. Meaning I don't need to eat anything right away, I can keep working or whatever. Unlike before, when I got hungry I had to eat. I tried one of those low carb bars earlier today. That was nasty, it certainly isn't going to trigger any cravings here.

Anyways, I know there are many different types of people. While something might work great for one, it might not for others. Just sharing my experiences so far. I'm also not trying to take away from anyone else's hard work by making it sound like it's a piece of cake. It isn't easy, but I thought I was in for a tougher time getting adjusted.

Thanks for listening.

Lori H
Sat, Nov-08-03, 00:35
Congratulations on your success! A lot of this diet is finding out what works for you and what doesn't. Keep up the good work!