PDA

View Full Version : Fiber

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Skyangel
Fri, Nov-07-03, 15:26
When I visited my local health food store yesterday, they had a basket of free sample packets of "Insta Fiber". I took one to look at the ingredients, which it says is "100% Natural"

The ingredient is maltodextrin ... what is this? The entire packet is 3 carbs and 3 fiber with 10 calories.

I haven't used a fiber supplement, as I've had no problem in the, uhm, regularity department. but I am curious about this product. Anybody have information?

Lisa N
Fri, Nov-07-03, 17:21
Hi Skyangel!

Fiber isn't just for those who are constipated...it's also good to help you keep from developing diarrhea as well as just keeping things moving smoothly through your intestines. Having said all that, if we are eating all the veggies we should on low carb, most people shouldn't have a lot of trouble getting all the fiber they need, especially in the OWL and later phases.
If you do find that you are in need of more fiber, there are a lot of products out there that have low or no carbs such as ground flax seed (also a good source of Omega 3 fatty acids, BTW) and fiber caplets.
Maltodextrin is a type of sugar and should probably be avoided if you are still in induction and beware of products labeled "all natural" or "100% natural". Sugar is considered natural, even if it has to be highly processed in order to be usable as is honey. ;)