PDA

View Full Version : Hair loss? Is this a side effect?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

paully33
Wed, Nov-05-03, 14:19
Is hair loss a side effect of low carb?? Fact or Fiction? has anyone female experienced this???

4beans4me
Wed, Nov-05-03, 14:30
Taking biotin supplements can help slow/stop hairloss. I personally have not experienced any problems with it, but I know of people who have.

If you have been under a lot of stress or are vitamin deficient it can cause hair loss. It works in a cycle --- it takes 6 to 8 weeks after a change/event for the loss to appear and then it can take another 6 to 8 weeks for the loss to be reversed.

tgill32177
Wed, Nov-05-03, 14:31
I have. It slowly comes back. I promise!
Tanya

24fan
Thu, Nov-06-03, 15:49
tgill32177,

What did you go thru??? Did your hair just start coming out by the hand-full and did you do anything special to get it to come back???? I have read on this site that some recommend biotin and some recommend virgin cocoanut oil.... I was informed by my hair stylist that I have a problem and she suggested I get my thyroid checked.... Did so and it was ok.... I then decided to go with the biotin tabs and the cocoanut oil.... That stuff doesn't taste good though..... But anyway, I am still seeing a lot of long brown hair all around the sink and in the tub after showering, as well as in the hairbrush..... How long did it take before your hair stopped coming out????

wiseyb
Wed, Nov-03-04, 12:56
I lost a stone in 2 weeks, but i would rather have the stone than a bald patch, the one on my crown is around the size of a 50p, the one just starting is like a penny.

how long was your hair affected for?

Breda

angeljandy
Wed, Nov-03-04, 15:48
I was losing hair prior to LCing so I'm prone to it, it is a hormonal condition for me. However, I have not had any problems with it and I've been doing it over 2 months now!

LukeA
Wed, Nov-03-04, 16:13
I've almost gone bald in past weight loss when i have gone the low fat, or low calorie ways. So far no loss of hair while lcing, but if it does start to happen i wouldnt be surprised. Hair loss is a common thing while losing weight in any fashion, but it should grow back to normal eventually once your weight maintains for awhile.

missaec
Wed, Nov-03-04, 16:56
I, personally, have lost a lot of hair. I mean, usually people don't notice. My grandmother noticed.. but she's supposed to notice stuff like that.

Biotin will definitely help though. Hair loss eventually slows. It's not really continual. It's just your body getting over the shock of the diet. My hair has been growing back.

4biddenEve
Wed, Nov-03-04, 17:04
Biotin by mouth and biotin and jojoba shampoo & conditioners are a plus for this situation. Also, you can use small amounts of Jojoba oil and rub it in your scalp. Any health food/vitamin place will have these. I have hair loss due to PCOs. So, if I had some loss while LCing, was not noticeable by me. I use the biotin shampoo and the jojoba conditioner. As well as the oil and the pills. It seems to work well. Jojoba is awesome for your hair!
Good luck!!

MissScruff
Thu, Nov-04-04, 17:50
http://teacher2k.com/hello-tag01.gif

Jaana100
Thu, Nov-04-04, 19:26
I did not experience this as a side effect of LC. I did however have this from stress.

patricia52
Thu, Nov-04-04, 19:48
I read somewhere, in an old Shape magazine, that if you lose over 10% of your body weight in less an 6 months, you will lose hair.
But my hair kept falling out, and it turns out that losing your hair is also a symptom of hypothyroidism (which I have). You can read about it on the thyroid thread and see if you have any other symptoms.

amers
Thu, Nov-04-04, 21:25
I used to have really thick hair, now only about 1/3rd of it remains. I've been taking 1000mg of biotin a day.. I'm waiting for it to start coming back.