PDA

View Full Version : thyroid results/??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

stella j
Mon, Nov-03-03, 02:32
Grr. I have now had 3 thyroid tests and they all came back negative for any sign of a problem. HoWEVER my grandmother and mother both have the disease. My mother was always over weight and just last year they finally diagnosed her and gave her medication and now she's a stick.

I am wondering, can i have it, even though they can't trace it in a urinalysis? Im just boggled by this weight loss problem and im seeming to be a turtle losing this weight even on this highly productive diet. Besides before this diet I was hiking, swimming, stairstepping,, and no results. So basically i burned out beer, fried stuff,, all carbs.. except a couple for this regimen.

If i am able to have it; whats my next step; if i feel confident that i am an applicant for this disease???? My mom jokes around and says
just take my medication and see if it works!" LOL of course she's kidding. We would never do that. But; her and i are at a loss with me! Please help! Thanks

stella j
Mon, Nov-03-03, 03:06
I guess im too quick to jump and ask questions. hehe. After I posted I read around this section and I guess it IS possible. But 3 times?? Thats a lot of times to come up negative. hmmmm~~

Paleoanth
Mon, Nov-03-03, 20:55
Didn't they take blood? You don't test thyroid through urine tests.

stella j
Mon, Nov-03-03, 20:59
OOPs. yes I am sorry, I was tired last night. :-) But all three were blood tests. I am going to try the over the counter thryoid jumpstart. Have you heard of that and how it might work? I was reading about that coconut oil last night, will be trying that tomorrow too! :-) It was weird, today I accidentally drank some sweet tea, it was my boyfriends, thought it was mine, and later on i checked ketosis and it was deeper. Strange. :-)

Paleoanth
Mon, Nov-03-03, 21:10
Hmmm, you wouldn't happen to have your blood test results? You could always post them and let us look at them.

You might want to check out this site, if you haven't already:

http://thyroid.about.com/mbody.htm

stella j
Mon, Nov-03-03, 21:19
Hi Paleo! No I surely don't have them on me. I could ask my mother. These tests were at least 3 years ago, then 5 years ago and 7. Like I said I had three when I was living at home. I'll try to obtain them. Have you heard anything about those thyro max over the counter thing a majiggeez?

Paleoanth
Tue, Nov-04-03, 09:23
I haven't-sorry. If you haven't had a test in three years-it might be good to get another one done. I know that when I was first diagnosed with hypothyroid-my T3 and T4 levels were fine, my TSH was just slightly elevated. BUT I also slept all the time and my right foot and calf were swollen. Weird.

Bonzlee
Tue, Nov-04-03, 23:13
Did they check your TSH, or did they also check for free T3?

Recently I had my thyroid checked by a doctor who understands that TSH is not an accurate indicator to tell if there is a problem with the thyroid. He did TSH, free T3, free T4 and reverse T3 analysis. He found that my TSH was within normal, BUT, my T3 was way below normal. He started me on a combination of T4 & T3 six weeks ago, and I feel so much better!

The other question is, have you ever checked your body temperature? What prompted me to go to this doctor is I discovered the site www.wilsonsthyroidsyndrome.com. On it they talk about low body temperature being an indicator of hypothyroid, even when the thyroid tests come back normal.

I hope you find the solution!!
Take care,
Bonnie

SylviaUK
Thu, Nov-06-03, 05:20
Stella, I also think you should get a new test done, a lot can happen in three years. I had a "normal" result last summer, and have just been re-tested by a naturopath who believes in treating the patient not the test results ;). This one did the free T3 instead of the TSH with a different outcome.