PDA

View Full Version : Another New Person

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ladybug
Wed, Aug-01-01, 21:44
Hello There

I have only been doing the low-carb diet for three days. I have been looking at this site. I have a couple of questions. I have the carb counting book suggested, but when i see som people post the carbs are they subtracting the protein? How does that work? Also what about sugar-free popscile and jello are they ok to eat as a snack? Any help would be great

thanks everyone

Ladybug

wannabthin
Wed, Aug-01-01, 21:50
Not sure about the subtracting protein??? Pretty sure it's just up to 20grams of carbs per day - period (during Induction).

I do know that SF jello is perfect - zero fat, zero carbs - 100% good taste! Add some creme to the top - woo wee! : )

Good luck to you and your success!:)

ladybug
Wed, Aug-01-01, 22:30
Hello Again

I meant to say subtracting fiber not protein? Let me know how this is done thanks again.

Ladybug

Karen
Thu, Aug-02-01, 00:16
Welcome to the Forum Ladybug!

To subract fiber from carbs, look up the carb count and the fiber count which should be on the same line, depending on what book you have. If it says:

Almonds, 1 oz.
Protein: 3 gr
Carbohydrates: 3.2 gr
Fiber: 1 gr

Subtract the 1 gr of fiber from the 3.2 grams of carbohydrates for an effective carbohydrate count of 2.2.

You're following Atkins induction right now, so the best way to do it is follow it to the letter. So, that means no Jell-o or popsicles. You can decide later on if it is something that you really want to have in your new way of eating.

Karen

sushi
Thu, Aug-02-01, 08:31
Hello from London, England!
I've just discovered Dr Atkin's New Revoltionary Diet and bought the book today. I'm going on holiday to Florida in 4 weeks and want to fit into my shorts! So hello to all you Dr Atkin's dieters and I hope I can come to you with any questions I may have.
Good luck to you all!
Susie

tamarian
Thu, Aug-02-01, 09:00
Welcome aboard Susie!

Good luck reading the book, it's a great investment to prepare your for the ins and outs of this lifestyle. Keep us posted on your progress.

Wa'il

p.s. I removed your email address, as they are captyred atomatically by spam-bots. Feel free to use the pm icon to exchange email addresses.

sushi
Thu, Aug-02-01, 09:49
Thanks for that..Tamarian I didnt realise it wasnt a good idea to put email addresses on. I'm new to all this forum business and havent got the hang of it yet.
Susie

doreen T
Thu, Aug-02-01, 10:09
I agree with Karen .... the Atkins 2-week Induction is based on 20g TOTAL carbs, not carbs minus fiber. The Protein Power program is based on effective carbs, or the carb-count that's left after you subtract fiber grams.

In later stages of the Atkins program, you may subtract fiber grams, as long as you keep an eye on your overall carb count, and choose your carbs wisely. One of the biggest stallers for lowcarbers is the lowcarb snack bars, and "sugar-free" chocolates and candy. These are sweetened with glycerine, maltitol and/or other sweeteners which do not technically raise insluin levels, and therefore are often not included in the counts on the product label. But they are carbs nonetheless, and do contribute calories ... so beware! Best to avoid these completely during Induction.

SF Jello is permitted during Induction, but again, limit yourself to the 1/2 cup serving size, not the whole box. Karen has a good point though about avoiding ALL sweet tastes, even if it's a zero-carb sweet ..... it just perpetuates the cravings and psychological dependence.

Doreen

doreen T
Thu, Aug-02-01, 10:12
Welcome aboard!

I'm glad you're starting off with reading the book and wanting to do things right from the start. I just know you'll reach your goal.

Looking forward to reading your posts of your lowcarb success.

Doreen

ladybug
Thu, Aug-02-01, 22:42
hey everyone

thanks Karen for the info about the fiber. Its makes more sense to me now. I am a carb nut trying to avoid anything sweet for two weeks is going to be hard. Right i know i eat 2 popscile's a day each has 3 carb. But it just seems to make my day feel satisfied. During the two week induction are you not supposed to have anything sweet? Help all these cookies and candy and coca-cola driving me crazy. Im already looking for sweet Substitute. Any suggetions would be great

Thanks Again

Ladybug

Sharon
Fri, Aug-03-01, 07:55
HI, I'm interested in your popsicles. I've seen sugar-free popsicles here, but they are made with fruit juice. I'm not sure of the carb count. These might be okay for later on after induction for a treat on a hot day or for a sore throat.

I know it's hard, but we can't give into the sugar monster cravings.

You'll be so proud of yourself after you're finished induction. Remember this two week period is to cleanse your body.

It will get easier. Good luck, I know you can do it.

debbiedobson
Fri, Aug-03-01, 08:46
welcome aboard susie and ladybug! :D you'll find lots of support here and a wealth of knowledge! glad to have ya!:D

sushi
Mon, Aug-06-01, 02:45
Thanks everyone for your warm welcome and support. It's my third day now on the induction. Feeling good but my keto-stix haven't turned from beige yet. Is this normal?

Is there anyone out there in Florida? If so, do you think I should cancel my holiday to go there on 30th August for 2 weeks? It looks like it's going to be stormy weather and nothing to do if thats the case. I'm booked to go to Miami Beach, Everglades, Key West and Gulf Coast. Any suggestions?

Susie

Karen
Mon, Aug-06-01, 09:40
Some peoples stix never turn and they still lose weight. If you drink a lot of water - which you should - they may never turn or never go above trace.

Go to California instead, or Vancouver (your dollar goes very far here)! It should stop raining by then. ;)

Karen

sushi
Mon, Aug-06-01, 10:08
Thanks Karen
Well I do drink a lot of water. Hopefully in a day or so i will see some change.

I would love to come to Vancouver...maybe once I've done Florida as it's all booked and paid for now. Keeping my fingers crossed I get good weather.

Susie