PDA

View Full Version : ORANGE PROTEIN BARS

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Calli777
Sun, Mar-16-03, 20:05
ORANGE PROTEIN BARS

14 scoops of Protein Powder
8oz. cream cheese
1 stick of butter
small package of diet orange jello
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Soften the cream cheese and the butter, then other ingredients. Place it in a 9/13 buttered pan and "score" them into serving pieces. Put in the freezer, when firm remove from the pan and put in ziploc bag, for breakfast or snacks. You can use chocolate protein powder, you can add peanut butter, just use your imagination! They are hands down better than anything I have bought!

noelle1275
Fri, Jan-11-08, 13:49
anyone ever try these? any clue on the carb count?
sounds yummy!

surrealme
Sat, Jan-12-08, 21:17
I made these and loved them!
I don't like nuts/sweet together so instead I threw in a bunch of
unsweetened coconut, divine!
thanx!

zorra_1
Sat, Jan-12-08, 21:22
Thanks for bumping this...I've got some Orange Kool-Aid and I need an excuse to use it (probably will mix it with Knox to get that SF jello this calls for).

And 14 scoops of protein powder! <I've been looking for a way to use some up!>

rightnow
Sun, Jan-13-08, 10:01
The calories in jello vary radically apparently, from my web search. Can you please give the entire box title for that particular jello? There are tons of variants on sugarfree / 'diet' jello, and some have massive carbs; I'm trying to find the one that doesn't lol.

rightnow
Sun, Jan-13-08, 10:02
Never mind, I found it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Jell-O-Sugar-Free-Gelatin-Dessert-0-6-Ounce/dp/B000E1HVAC

rightnow
Sun, Jan-13-08, 10:06
dang it, same problem. The nutrition info for a package of sugar free jello on various sites that list it, is really carb high -- like 70-odd. On amazon they list the SF jello, with 0 carbs, but when you look at the serving size, it says "0.125 package". Which is 1/8 of a package. So I guess worst-case, it could have up to 8 carbs -- they may have chosen that serving size to be super minimal on calories/carbs for all I know, and it could be 'nearly 1 carb' and be marked as zero. Still, 8 carbs isn't bad.

But, it's 80 calories. With 8 g of protein. That's 32 calories from protein. This is a fruit mix so it's unlikely it's got fat in it (even the regular high-carb doesn't have any). That would leave the rest of the calories to carbs, which is 48 cal which divided by 4 cal per carb, would be 12 carbs.

So I'm listing that on the count I'm posting shortly, below.

rightnow
Sun, Jan-13-08, 10:29
You may need to adjust this. Protein powders have different scoop sizes and carbs. Your jello may have fewer carbs. Measuring almonds when already chopped would have a higher carb count. (I was using USDA which didn't have that option.) Using 'lite' cream cheese would slightly reduce the carb count. This is just my mockup for ref in case it's helpful.

http://blog.firedocs.com/rn/orange_protein_bars.jpg