PDA

View Full Version : I have been Smoke-Free for 8 weeks with NO CRAVINGS!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Linda Love
Fri, Oct-31-03, 11:45
This totally worked for me. I wanted to to a colon cleanse which consisted of a meal replacement drink. The catch was I HAD TO FAST FOR 48 HOURS. This solution was very expensive $149.95 and didn't do much cleansing, but it sure wiped the nicotine from my system. I did get a refund from the company.

Another product which requires a 48-hour fasting period is the Hollywood Diet. In my opinion, it is much better economically and performance. It WILL cleanse your body of backed up toxins (uneliminated meals) and also nicotine and you will lose about 5-10lbs over that time period. It's priced at $19.99 a bottle at Walgreens, Longs, or your supermarket.

Another good product is Colonblow. Now that will cleanse everything, but it's only available on-line at approximately $32.00 a pack. The web site is funny as hell with (ugh!) pictures. You will skip two meals with this product, but your system will sparkle afterwards. You can even order T-shirts! It's a riot! I haven't tried it yet, but am ordering soon.

Fasting with the proper nutrients substituting meals, will cleanse your system of the chemicals of smoking. It only took two days for me to quit an almost 30 year nasty habit. I also used the Six-Way Cleanse (no fasting, just to cleanse the body of wastes). This cleans the lymphatic system, liver, kidneys, colon, blood, etc. It's better for maintanance. The fasting ones are best for nicotine cleansing.

My apartment smells fresh, my teeth are white, my skin glows, and the texture has even changed. Best of all, I can work out 6x a week strenously w/o panting or taking a break.

Maybe this can work for you since you DO want to quit forever, huh?

Rogue
Mon, Nov-03-03, 21:34
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you (in a way) here.

Nicotine takes 2 - 3 days to leave your body regarless of whether you're fastig or cleansing. It's a fact.
That's why the first 3 days are the most difficult, after that there is no more addiction, just habit.

And fasts and those terrible cleansing diets are no good for your health, not to mention what they would do to your LC diet.

Linda Love
Tue, Nov-04-03, 10:48
So what are you disagreeing with me about? I told you it only took 2 days (48hours) for my body to be rid of nicotine and you're an expert on MY body now?

As far as the Low Carb diet, I am NOT on any set low carb plan--I just watch my carb intake and enjoy all of the food groups.

Fasts are NOT terrible. I don't know where you've gotten your information, but the average person has 7-8 uneliminated meals in his intestine.

Before you sprout-off about a subject, you really should investigate facts. I'm not talking about a laxative or the popular "diet" teas they can be harsh and additive. I'm talking about a total body cleanse. I'm talking about herbs that cleanse your digestive tract, the colon, lymphatic system, the skin.

You assumed I was on the same diet as you, which you obviously have not researched. Nicotine even after the maximum you presented will still render cravings as opposed to a total body cleanse.

I have smoked for almost 30 years and have NO cravings whatsoever.

Bottom Line: Research facts before you sprout-off!

Rogue
Tue, Nov-04-03, 18:05
wow, sorry!

Actually I only assumed one thing - that you are low carbing, since this is a LC forum.

What I was disageeing with was that this "cleanse" you did wiped the nicotine from your system. It didn't. The nicotine would have gone away without it. That is a researched fact.
And once nicotine is out of your system, the addiction is gone. The PHYSICAL addiction. FACT!

The cleanse you did and any other fasting type cleansing diets are not healthy - ask any doctor their opinion. And they are completely temporary if you just go back to eating the same way again. So what the point?

The best way to cleanse your body is to let it do it itself - which it tries to do all the time. Just stop putting toxins in so it can get on with the job.

I was not trying to attack you, I think it's great that you quit smoking after so long - however you managed to do it.
I just wanted to let you and others know that a cleanse is not necessary to get rid of nicotine.

Linda Love
Tue, Nov-04-03, 19:37
Please accept my sincere apology. I got upset because I did attribute my 48-hour fast to the cesstation of my smoking. You see, like millions of others, I have "quit" numerous times, but always went back bc of the cravings.

One time I quit cold turkey for 2 weeks, but I was terribly cranky and eventually caved in and started smoking again. I've had the patch, but the cravings were back as the patch strength was reduced. Lastly, accupuncture. No cravings, but I was stupid and didn't change my lifestyle i.e., smoking bars, friends who smoked, and lastly a boyfriend I couldn't kiss unless I smoked, which led me back to that nasty habit.

I understand you're saying that after 48 hours the nicotine is gone. But realistically, it isn't--I'm proof via the cravings. They're not exclusively psychological cravings either.

I don't know what doctors advised against colon cleansing, perhaps you may want to visit www.colonblow.com, it's informative and the site is hilarious. But you can just search "colon cleansing" and thousands of sites many owned by physicians will list.

Rogue
Tue, Nov-04-03, 23:28
Linda, don't worry about it.

It's not that doctors advise against colon cleansing but against fasting cleansers.

I seriously suggest you read Allan Carr's "The easy way to stop smoking" because it will jsut give you those extra motivations and incentives to stay a non-smoker.
The logic of the book really helped me - I had also quit about once a year before than and always succumbed to my "cravings" which I know were psycological. But after reading the book (and having the information sink in - about 1 month) I stopped mmediately and 48 hours later I never had a craving again.

Linda Love
Wed, Nov-05-03, 05:47
I have access to a smoke cesstation class which meets every Friday afternoon and the physician teaching it can write prescriptions for pills, patches, etc. There is also plenty of literature he offers with tips on alternative activities should a craving hit. I don't dispute anyone using literature if that works.

None of those things worked for me. I have been craving/smoke-free since Sept. 22, 2003. The only time I will "think" about a cigarette is if I'm doing a specific activity like drinking like drink coffee or orange juice. I don't even buy coffee anymore and OMG! My wine consumption has declined at least 90% or any alcohol consumption for that matter. I honestly don't crave the habit anymore. Cold turkey worked for you, congrats you applying the information from your book which I think is a tremendous success, but I needed to totally rid my body of toxins in order for me to be successful. I had a bloated abdomen, indigestion, depression, foggy thinking, my joints ached--the works. Fasting with a high caliber formula containing the proper nutrients will destroy and detoxify the body of old feces and parasites, thus further ridding the body of the symptoms decribed above. My skin, hair, nails, breathing, and especially my thinking and concentration is 99.9% improved.

My daily workouts are intense now. I'm no longer tired during the day. I drink my water and take high potency supps and eat 6 small meals, a lot of fruits, per day. Even though I did this while I smoked and pre-detox, I was always tired, my feet hurt, my tongue was coated, and I couldn't figure out why I had continual heartburn and acid reflux. Since I fasted for those two days, my body is cleansed. I cleansed further with a product called The Six-Way Cleanse without fasting. It is NOT a laxative or diaretic. It is an herb-based product that "sweeps" the colon and lymphatic system, blood, lungs, liver, kidneys, skin of old debris and restores the natural flora and healthy mucus to the colon.

Fasting has been a part of history dating back to BC. Many religions use this method as a rest for the digestive tract and to cleanse while praying and meditating. Most fasts begin at dawn and end at dusk. Some last can and do last longer. Fasting without proper nutrients and a clean bill of health from your doctor can cause problems, which is why this undertaking should only be exercised by healthy individuals.

I really am shocked that you would state fasting is dangerous and doctors do not approve of it. Which doctors are you referring to? and why? Like I mentioned to you earlier, have you checked out colon cleansing or even cleansing fasts on the internet yet? If not, please do so and we can discuss your findings afterwards.

I think we both can learn from each other. One more thing, how long has it been since you've stopped smoking? It can't be that long, you are the same age as my son. My daughter is 27. Neither have ever smoked...thank God.

Rogue
Wed, Nov-05-03, 13:21
Linda,

I quit smoking a year ago this month.
Had been smoking for about 14 years (started young)

If you go to webmd.com you will find that most of the doctors there advise against fasting for weight loss or cleansing reasons (they can't disputeit for religious reasons)
When I say fasting I mean NO food (just water) for 2 days or more. That is what most people think of as a fast - especially impressionable youngsters.

2 points:
1) Religious fasting is not always NO food, most allow food at certain times fo the day, like you said.
2) Your cleanse involved a nutritional formula which, I would say, makes it not a fast but rather just a cleanse which is much better.

I used to do a 2 day fast once a month when I first started my weight loss journey and at first I felt great but after 2 months my body started reacting really badly to it. That's when I went to webmd.com and found out why.

Linda Love
Wed, Nov-05-03, 19:00
This reminds me of a true story about a comedian/activist in the 70s named Dick Gregory who was thrown in jail along with the Irish activists (I forget their names) and I believe one of the Black Panther members (I forget his name too) who refused nurishment while incarcerated thus taking a stance for their causes.
Well, within a few weeks they lost their hearing and then the eyesight. They were dead shortly after from just consuming water.

Mr. Gregory also fasted, but he had mixed up special herbs and blended them with vitamins and fruits. He was over 350lbs going in the jail, but left 165lbs. He also patented the Bohemien Diet (protein drink). He did not lose his health or bearings, while the others succumbed.

What I endulge in is called a cleansing fast, but you can take other remedies like the Six-Way Cleanse without fasting. Your idea of fasting with just plain water IS dangerous (see above). Now I see where our misunderstanding occurred. I would never go w/o proper nutrition on my cleansing fasts. But they are great for the digestive system--it gives it a rest. Your skin glows after 48 hours, your system cleanses itself of toxins all day, and you are required to drink plenty of water.

Parasites and toxic buildup are nothing to play with. If not eliminated, the waste and old fecal matter is absorbed into the bloodstream, resulting in parasites, bacteria, back & joint pain, bloated abdomens, acid reflux, insomnia, depression, low concentration, lethargy, dull complexion, drug residue, and a host of other ailments that western medicine simply prescribes more toxic drugs and keeps the patient dependent on it for a lifetime without throughly investigating the true "cause" of the pain instead they prefer to treat the symptom.

I'm serious, people think I am the same age as my children (thank God!). I eat right, workout everyday, take care of my body.

I'll check out that Webmd.com you mention, but I must warn you, I do prefer the homeopathic approach along with the western medicine.

Congratulations to you, big time for your progress. I just discovered my younger sister just re-started after 16 years of non-smoking and she's smoking cloves at best. Talk about a "new kind of stupid."

Caio!