PDA

View Full Version : Gained 2 lbs

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tampa_girl
Fri, Oct-31-03, 06:21
I know that the road to losing interest in any diet is not seeing weight loss. I did great during induction and lost 9 lbs. In my third week now and have only made 1 change to my diet.....I added a glass of wine in the evening. (2 carbs). I have been doing a brisk walk every day and yet I have gained 2 lbs. this week. Now I'm discouraged and that's not a good sign for me! :(
Does this mean I need to eliminate the wine....?? Please say NO! :cry:

Colleen1
Fri, Oct-31-03, 07:02
That's something only you can answer, through trial and error. Everyone has different food and drinks that make them stall.

Read other people's stories on this forum. You will see that most people's weight loss is not a straight downward linear thing. That number on the scale can bounce around some before it starts going down again.

MaryToU
Fri, Oct-31-03, 07:53
Colleen is right, many times you will see the scale move both up and down. Any sudden gain of pounds over night is almost always water weight! So don't read to much into it.

Also it is very common to hold still on the weight loss shortly after induction. Many, many, people go through this. I myself didn't see the scale move for a bit over three weeks. :lol: You can tell that this bothered me because months and months later I still remember it well.

You body may be just taking time to readjust to all the sudden changes. This is a good time to measure yourself though. A lot of people may not be losing numbers on the scale but are losing inches at this time.

Its up to you what you want to do about the glass of wine at the end of the day. You can keep drinking it and see if it matters or not over time. Or you can cut it out. But I would give yourself and your body more time before I started worring about it.

jaykay
Fri, Oct-31-03, 08:03
Its the wine! It does just that to me - a glass of wine can make the scales jump by anything up to 3 pounds. It's mainly water, but still.
So - you either have to decide you're sensitive to it and are going to leave alcohol alone, or you can continue, which will likely slow your weight loss down but may not reduce it altogether - its one of those YMMV things.

Interestingly, carb-addicts often struggle with alcohol - our bodies seem to react in similar ways to it. I know personally, that whilst I haven't 'cheated' in any other way since I started LC-ing, I just don't seem to be able to leave alcohol (specifically wine) alone. I keep saying I will, then slipping. I never drink more than a glass or so, but when DH has a bottle of wine on the table, can I find the willpower to resist?! The most difficult thing is finding something as pleasant to drink - all soft drinks seem to be sweet, which I don't like.

Hope you find your own way - I think mine, for the umpteenth time, is to avoid it except for special occasions.
Jay

ccarter25
Fri, Oct-31-03, 08:17
I lost 8 pounds the first 2 weeks and it's now week 5 and I'm finally starting to lose more (1-2 lbs)

Dont give up.

tampa_girl
Fri, Oct-31-03, 08:53
Thanks everyone....I think I'll stay away from the wine this week-end (ugh! did I really say that?) and see what happens. I'm committed to this WOE for at least 2 more weeks......if no weight loss at that time, I don't know.
I haven't been measuring; perhaps I should do that.
As always, you all have been helpful!

LilaCotton
Sat, Nov-01-03, 02:17
Tampa Girl, DON'T GIVE UP!

During Induction I lost 7 pounds. Then I lost one more pound, to get down to 221, then within a day or two it was back up to 222 and it stayed there for a week! I finally gave up and posted 222 in my stats instead of 221 (which was really humiliating!). Then the next day, voila! My scales were back down at 221 again. Then several more days went by and I was beginning to think they were never going to move again (thus my new mini-mini goal). Well, thankfully just yesterday I managed to break 220, but it took me all week to lose that extra couple of pounds to get there!

Just remember, each one of is unique and is going to respond to this WOE in our own fashion. Some of us will lose more quickly, and some more slowly, but I really believe in the end, everyone can lose, which makes us all winners! :)

Isiar
Sat, Nov-01-03, 08:23
[QUOTE=tampa_girl]I know that the road to losing interest in any diet is not seeing weight loss.

One of the things that I have learned the hard way during my 5 months of low carbing is NOT to rely on the scale as a measure of progress except over the long haul. In a given week a woman might have lost 2 pounds of fat but retained 3 pounds of water. When she steps on the scale, all she see is a 1 pound gain.
A MUCH more reliable measure is your volume.
Believe me, I have measure at the same weight and I have notice inches lost.

For some people wine not only doesn't hurt (particularly red dry wine), it actually helps. Several recent studies have shown wine to be an effective agent for increasing the body s sensitive to insuline.

Again, you need patience to know your body and rely on the scale could send you back easily.

Cheers, Isiar

tampa_girl
Sat, Nov-01-03, 11:19
Isiar - Thanks....I increased my water yesterday and think I was retaining so will wait til tomorrow to check the scales. I know, I know, the scales don't tell the whole story BUT it's hard to break old habits!
Thanks for being there.

nobread!?
Sun, Nov-02-03, 23:28
found a good article in womans world NOV. 4,03 issue on this. They were'nt LCing the atkins way in this particular article but they had some great tips from a top trainer, Michael George. His hollyood tricks are all about fooling a smart body that ADJUSTS to overcome new changes. Try alternating your fat burners(workouts! not nasty yucky pills!) Eat a little something every 2-3 hours to rev up metabolism and yes.......up those carbs a little when you need too. Even Dr. A said so to break up a log jam(plateau). I am trying these out now and so far it's working, also it makes me feel better that there's something I can still try before all else fails! discouragement IS the kiss of death!!!!

tampa_girl
Mon, Nov-03-03, 10:51
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=tampa%5Fgirl

Isiar
Mon, Nov-03-03, 12:17
Hi Tampagirl
How are you doing? I found a thread that is very inspirational and useful regarding ups and downs.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=32372 BTW I;m in UP today
There is another one in the section Best Of, called why scales lie.
Cheers, Isiar