PDA

View Full Version : Brand New and SO Confused!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

katlynweb
Thu, Oct-30-03, 07:28
:dazzle: : Calling all veteran low carbers!!! HELP!!!!! Just starting on low carb eating and heading out to the local "Geengrocery" to stock up! Can you please give me a list of things I should have on hand? Basics to start out with..safe snacks for emergencies, etc.? I have always bought low [U]CAL and never been on a real "diet" before,but just went through menopause and stopped smoking and gained 50 lbs.! Please help me get started on this before I throw up my hands and say "it's too complicated!" Thanks!! :rolleyes: [COLOR=Indigo]

Kristine
Thu, Oct-30-03, 07:58
Hi and welcome! :wave:

The first thing on your list will be a copy of one of the LC books. :thup: If it was a long time ago that you read the Atkins book, you'll need a refresher.

What you can do in the meantime, which is what I did before I decided on a plan, is simply get rid of the obvious carby stuff - bread, pasta, sugar, rice. Replace that stuff with extra veggies and meat. Just doing this will help stabilize your blood sugar, and you'll probably feel really good. (You probably won't lose any weight, though...)

Once you're ready to buckle down and stick to one plan, there are several "grocery list" threads here, and if you want to check out the contents of my kitchen, it's posted at my website. The link is at the 'www' icon below this post. :thup:

Good luck! I know it's a lot of information at first, but you'll be a pro in no time. :cool:

MaryToU
Thu, Oct-30-03, 08:01
Cheese
Pork rinds
Diet Jello
cream cheese

I love celery stuffed with cream cheese then wrapped with a piece of ham!

popeye
Thu, Oct-30-03, 13:14
Welcome
Here is a useful link, list of acceptable food:
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html

ccarter25
Fri, Oct-31-03, 08:24
In my fridge all the time:
Eggs
Bacon
Meat Meat Meat!
block cheese
sf jello
whipped cream in a can
More MEAT!
salad
tomatoes
cucumbers
salad dressing (hidden valley ranch)
green beans
broccoli

Kathy54
Fri, Oct-31-03, 10:11
Pork rinds
Diet Jello
cream cheese

Sorry not during induction 8>(

MaryToU
Fri, Oct-31-03, 13:13
Actually cream cheese is a listed induction food, and if you read in the DANDR book when just coming into the recipes section, there is a Typical Induction Menu listed. With the dinner menu there is diet jell-o with a spoonful of whipped, artificially sweetened heavy cream. This leads me to believe that even though it is not directly listed on the accapatble food, it is allowed during induction.

Also in the Dr. Atkins New Diet Cookbook, there is a weeks worth of menus for each stage. Durning induction stage there is pork rinds with a sour cream clam dip. (By the way, it wasn't very good) Where pork rinds are in a way meat (0 carbs) than I am assuming they just count it under the free food (meat) colum.

BIZZYGIRL
Sun, Nov-02-03, 20:29
Exactly my thoughts - And CCarter25 Stole my Refrigerator!
Canned whipped creme makes me feel better when you are just about at wits end. Real Sharp Cheddar Cheese and Pickles are my snack food of choice (finger food).
The Atkins' NDR has by-day menu's (minus the breakfast - I don't like smoked salmon for breakfast). I just followed them mindlessly until I figured it our for myself.

adkpam
Mon, Nov-03-03, 08:04
I got the good advice to shop around the edges of the supermarket.
All those great veggies can have butter, parmesan cheese, and dill sauce on them...not to mention all the great full fat salad dressings you can have. I don't get tired of salads now.
Go back to the meat department. Remember when dinner was meat/2 vegetables? (I do.) Well, revive it.
Explore the cheese department. I get a new flavor every week. Shredded cheese over vegetables (or even meats) taste so good!

drewopolis
Mon, Nov-03-03, 16:14
dressing is always good if you've just had it with bland veggies. carrots are prob the worst vegetable if you're looking into cutting out A LOT of carbs. try celery. peanut butter is full of protein, but watch what kind and how much fat/sodium is in it. all natural foods are good.

don't eat too much cheese. you have to have a strong will to do this diet. don't cheat until 2 weeks have passed, then take a weekend to eat good food...try tortillas, cheese, cream cheese, etc. this will allow you to "binge," but at the same time realize that if you over eat, you may gain back a few pounds that you worked so hard to lose! it all comes down to this control.