PDA

View Full Version : Need breakfast ideas

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

CeeTee
Wed, Oct-29-03, 17:41
Day one is almost over and I must say I ate quite well!! Its been a long time since I've consumed that much meat as I am usually following low fat diets. I went grocery shopping this morning and I'm all stocked up for three or four more days.
I have a week-long vacation at Disney World coming up in about 2 weeks and hopefully by then I'll feel comfortable enough with this WOE to work around it. The lunchs and dinners in restaurants aren't worrying me as much as the breakfasts that we'll probably be eating in out room, as we have an efficiency unit with a microwave & refrigerator. And as far as I'm concerned microwaved eggs suck! Any other ideas that I can whip up for breakfast?

LilaCotton
Wed, Oct-29-03, 22:41
You'll be off Induction by your vacation I'm thinking.

How about going to a store the night before and buying a roasted chicken. You could eat that for dinner AND have leftovers for breakfast! You may also be able to find a few berries (raspberries or strawberries) to have with it. Throw in a little whipped cream, and you'd have a pretty well-rounded breakfast!

Just an idea! I find this WOE sometimes takes some real creativity. My daughter just loves low-carb bread made into French toast topped with berries and cream, but I can't see that in a microwave. ;)

PurpleStix
Thu, Oct-30-03, 02:10
I have no trouble boiling eggs in the microwave. It might also work for poaching.

Heat a mug of water, as if you are reheating a cup of coffee. Then add the egg to the piping hot water. Cook it at about 40% power for 5 minutes. Douse it with cold water to make the shell easy to peel. Chop it and drop it on a bowl of greens and any other veggies you have around. Add unrefined extra virgin olive oil and pepper. Enjoy.

tampa_girl
Thu, Oct-30-03, 05:56
Why not try the microwaveable bacon....it only takes 5 seconds per slice and doesn't need refrigeration. There's microwaveable sausage too.

marks
Thu, Oct-30-03, 16:02
CeeTee-

When I travel, I sometimes eat some mild-tasting cheese
like string cheese for breakfast.

If you're out of induction by then, and feel comfortable
with either of the following, you could also try:

Cream cheese or Low-Sugar Peanut butter on celery.

Carbsense hot cereal (has microwave directions)-
needs cream & splenda to jazz it up.

I've eaten leftover chicken, or even a salad, for
breakfast, if there's nothing else available.

Good Luck,

Mark

CeeTee
Fri, Oct-31-03, 19:02
Everyone, thanks for the great ideas...
"Marks" suggested something called Carbsense hot cereal. Haven't seen that yet. Is it in the regular grocery stores or specialty/health stores? Is Carbsense the manufacturer? How many carbs does it have per serving? My husband's been following this WOE along with me but he's having trouble with the eggs in the morning. Thanks again!

jaykay
Sat, Nov-01-03, 03:46
Once you're out of induction, here's what we have for breakfast - cos its quick and easy.

100g greek yoghurt - 4 carbs
3 strawberries - 3 carbs (or a small spoon of frozen berries)
1 raw egg

mix these together in a blender and drink - yum. I add water to make mine a bit runnier, DH adds heavy cream and water (!) cos he can afford the extra calories.

Jay

Firmbeauty
Sat, Nov-01-03, 05:07
Boy I have alot of ideas for breakfast. :)

I hold meetings regarding low carb every month and breakfast was a topic.

There is so much you can have besides bacon and eggs and yes even on induction.

Atkins Morning Start bars are a great start.
Atkins Morning Start cereal. You can find a low carb milk at super walmart called carb countdown by hood. Only 3 grams per cup

Granola by flax o meal
Flax o meal has a hot cereal in about 4 flavors
Keto hot cereal
Folding pancakes
French Toast
O so Lo makes sweet rolls in Cinnomon Raisen and Banana Walnut, toast add butter and cream cheese.

I've made cinnmon rolls from the Keto Cinnomon raisen bread mix

Muffins by atkins and carbsense, the apple cinnomon are awesome.

For those of you who are past induction. Atkins Bagels are awesome they are between 7 - 9 grams for a whole bagel.

Blue bunny lite 85 yogurt comes in about 4 grams per cub, you can find that iinfo on www.lowcarbluxary.com.

Keto Flakes

Well :p that's all i can think of this early in the morning. I hope this help.

I'd also like to let you know that I've been on a low carb plan for 7 years and so far not any problems. Also just turned 40 yesterday :Party:

Have a great day
Marie

Lisa N
Sat, Nov-01-03, 07:35
Where to get the CarbSense hot cereal? The only place I've found it yet is the health food store. There are also a couple of other low carb hot cereals on the market (also only found at my health food store so far) like Keto Oatmeal or Low Carb Success hot cereals. Be forewarned...they're a bit on the expensive side..$6.00 and up for a box or bag, but they usually contain 6-9 servings each. They're high in fiber, taste pretty good and will keep you filled up for quite a while, especially if you top them with butter and heavy cream.
Keto and Atkins also both make low carb cold cereals that you can have with heavy cream (I mix mine with half water) or low carb soy milk.
If you can't find them in your local health food stores, they can also be ordered over the internet; just do a web search for whatever product you're looking for.

Here are some other options:

-Make chicken salad and have it on low carb bread; lots of stores are now carrying breads with a very low carb count, shop around.
-Eat leftovers from dinner the night before
-Have some sugar-free peanut butter on low carb toast
-get some ham or roast beef, spread it with soft cream cheese and roll it up
-hard boil some eggs before you go, take them along in a cooler and heat them up in a cup of hot water in your room.
-in a pinch, you could have an Atkins shake, although I personally don't like drinking my breakfast. If you have a blender available in your room, you could also add some berries and blend it for a breakfast smoothie
-bring some whey protein powder (your choice of flavor as long as it's sugar-free) and make a protein shake with berries and cream.

Hope you enjoy your vacation! :)

Firmbeauty
Sat, Nov-01-03, 11:23
:) Most of the low carb stuff I'm able to find at a health food store, I have noticed that bigger grocer chains are carrying more products.

For use in the Cold cereals and hot cereals as well, not sure if you caught it in my last post.

Super Walmart carries a low carb milk, comes in whole, 2% and skim also choc. It's 3 grams per cup. It's made by hood and its called Carb Countdown. It taste really good. I give it to my kids for breakfast w/ their cereal and they didn't even notice the difference. :lol:

Also for some of the Carbsense stuff you can log onto www.vitaglo.com they carry a variety of stuff and I find it cheaper. If you don't see it on the web page don't hesitate to call. As the low carb is becoming more popular updating the computers is taking a little more time.

Have a great low carb day.

Marie

CeeTee
Sat, Nov-01-03, 13:18
WOW!! Thanks again for all the new info. I went to my local Vitamin store today and found Keto oatmeal. We'll give it a try tomorrow morning. I hesitated to get the cold cereal because I didn't realize that they even made a LC milk product. I'll look for that next. I also bought a few LC bars that stated "2 or 3 Net Carbs" on the front of the wrappers. When I got home (put my glasses on)and read the small nutritional info on the back I was surprised that the actual Carb counts were in the 20's and the fiber (which I figured they merely subtracted out to get the net number) was only 4 or 5 grams. One bar stated, "Only the NET CARB COUNT of 3 g of carbs should be counted toward your daily carbo intake. The remaining 20 g of NON-IMPACT CARBS come from glycerine, malitol and fiber, all of which have a minimal impact on blood sugar levels." Should I be eating these?

Firmbeauty
Mon, Nov-03-03, 09:52
CeeTee

In reply to eating the LC bars, yes it is ok to eat them. You can subtract the fiber and sugar alcohols as the sugar alcohols have a minimal impact on your blood sugar levels.

But be cautious. Sugar Alochols can cause cramping, bloating and diarhea. Some people are a little more sensitive to SA. The bigges culprit is Malitol. I'm not sure how much bars you are eating, but I find 2 a day is fine, but keep in mind if you eat the bars plus your little chocolate fix it may hamper your results. Just be sure to include these in your counts. Also careful of the calories, some of those bars are 200 plus calories.

How was the oatmeal? I found that I have to adjust the water so it isn't so sticky. Other than that it's not that bad. Hope this helps.

Have a good day.

marie

CeeTee
Tue, Nov-04-03, 09:04
Firmbeauty-
The oatmeal was a very strange consistency...I, also adjusted the water because it was too runny. I put a bit of cream in it, but no sweetener was necessary because it was kinda sweet on its own. I couldn't eat it every day...geez, I couldn't afford to!
As for the bars, I might have one in the evening for a snack or for an on-the-go lunch if I was in a pinch. Actually half of one is fine for me.
According to your stats it looks like you';ve done really well. Did you loose all of your weight over the past year? How did induction go for you? I typically loose very slowly and I was hoping that I'd see a good drop this first week...but so far it's only 2 pounds and I've been very, very good!!

Firmbeauty
Tue, Nov-04-03, 09:20
Cee tee

I agree w/ the oatmeal consistancy. It is kind of weird but not too bad, I don't eat it everyday, but have to adjust it according to my taste, sometimes I add a little sweetner. I really like the Hot Cereal by Flax o meal, that is better tasting than the keto stuff.

I've been Low carbing for 7 years, when I first started it took me about 9 months to loose the weight I wanted. I usually loose fast. So if you are a slow looser with other diets, then more likely you will be a slow looser, but that's ok you don't want to loose to fast, and this diet is a healhty way to do it. Everybody's carb intake is different, that's what I think is neat.

Congrats on you weight loss, two pounds isn't bad and remember most of the weight you loose in the first two weeks is generally water weight and I know I retained alot of water before starting this diet. Now I drink lots of water. Are you exercising regularly also? That makes a difference in the number game we play. Also depending on that TOM can throw us off.

Well, if you need more breakfast ideas let me know. So depending on your carb intake we can go from there. I generally eat more carbs in the morning as I do most of my exercising and training in the morning hours.

Have a great low carb day

marie

Firmbeauty
Tue, Nov-04-03, 09:21
Hey Cee tee

I noticied you live in upstate NY. Was wondering where abouts as I live in the CNY region. It would be cool if we could get together.

Take Care

Marie :)

4beans4me
Tue, Nov-04-03, 11:00
I make a super breakfast *bread* in the microwave. It makes 2 servings, so you have enough to easily reheat for the next day.

Mix together in a bowl:

2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 Tbs SF vanilla syrup
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Pour into a microwave safe dish (spray with non stick spray) and cook on high for about 3 minutes.

Cut *bread* in half and serve with butter and SF maple syrup or spread with cream cheese.

2.5 net carbs per serving, plus toppings.

Firmbeauty
Tue, Nov-04-03, 11:31
MMMM that bread sounds yummy. I've never attempting cooking in the microwave. Always use it to make popcorn, heat something up or defrost, I may have to give this one a try as it looks real simple.

Thanks.

Marie

tampa_girl
Tue, Nov-04-03, 12:33
Can't wait to try the bread...it does sound yummy!

CeeTee
Wed, Nov-05-03, 13:21
Firmbeauty-Yeah, I noticed that you live in Central New York...My main residence is actually just outside of Rochester (Webster, NY) and we spend the summers way upstate (Cape Vincent, NY). How about you?

That breakfast bread does sound yummy!!! But where do you get almond flour? I'm like you, hardly ever cook or bake in the microwave...just make popcorn (boy do I miss popcorn!) and warm coffee and leftovers. That's why this little vacation with an efficiency room is going to be such a challenge.
I'm a bit discouraged today as this morning my two pounds loss was down to one pound. And yesterday was such a good day, too...go figure!
I haven't exercised this first week except yesterday took a 30 minute walk. I've felt pretty weak and tired. I thought I'd wait till I was through Induction and maybe I'd have a bit more energy. Whaddya think?
I'm drinkin' tons of water, almost a gallon a day! And I'm taking vitamins and extra potassium. I am on my last day of my TOM, but that doesn't usually effect my weight significantly.
Well, I'm in it for the long haul, so we'll see what happens! Just curious, how many carbs are you eating per day on maintenance?

4beans4me
Wed, Nov-05-03, 13:36
I order my flour online or as an alternative you can finely grind almonds up in a coffee grinder to make your own.

The bread is best warm with lots of butter and SF syrup. You can also use the batter to make pancakes! This morning I toasted the leftover bread from yesterday, spread it with butter and sprinkled it with splenda and cinnamon.

Firmbeauty
Wed, Nov-05-03, 14:29
I find my almond flour/meal in the health food store. Or like 4beans4me suggested you can grind them up yourself, but I always seem to have bigger chunks.

CeeTee - I live about 15 miles outside of Syracuse, going East. Rochester is about 1 1/2 hours from me. I only live about 3 miles from the thruway. I have a nephew who lives in Henrietta and he always comes here for everything. In fact he may be here this weekend as we may go to Kareoke. If you r ever in this area, let me know and we can possibly meet for lunch or something.

I wouldn't worry too much on the 1 pound, our TOM does have something to do with it sometimes, the extra water we retain. I'm sure in a couple days you should be fine. Also you may of gotten into some extra sodium somewhere. Right now I'm dealing w/ that as I had m B-day party over the past weekend and all the cheese and dips etc. It finally caught up to me .

I'm in lifetime and I consume anywhere from 30 - 60 or more carbs a day. I exercise 5 - 6 days a week. I also take a multi vit and minerals w/ extra b's. Calcium/mag/zinc. Extra Iron for TOM.

I'm glad you arent' getting to discouraged, now I know why I stay away from that metal monster.

And I'm going to definately try that bread this weekend.

Take Care Everyone

Marie

4beans4me
Wed, Nov-05-03, 20:59
I made a mistake when posting the recipe above for the breakfast bread... Sorry everyone!! :blush:

I forgot the butter!!!!!!!! Here is the REAL recipe!

Mix together in a bowl:

2 beaten eggs
2 Tbs melted butter
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 Tbs SF vanilla syrup
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Pour into a microwave safe dish (spray with non stick spray) and cook on high for about 3 minutes.

Cut *bread* in half and serve with butter and SF maple syrup or spread with cream cheese.

2.5 net carbs per serving , plus toppings.

CeeTee
Thu, Nov-06-03, 09:11
Firmbeauty-Our neighbors "up North" live in North Syracuse (Their name is Galvin)and when I was in college I dated a guy who went to LeMoyne...but other than going to the State Fair each year, I don't go to Syracuse for anything. Maybe after that BIG mall is completed I might...
Let me know how your breakfast bread comes out.

A few questions for "4beans" regarding the bread recipe: You mentioned that you could grind almonds to make the "flour". Thinking about that, it would take quite a few almonds to make 1/2 of the flour...it seems that the carb count would be much higher than it is. Also, the SF vanilla syrup...is that also found in specialty or health food stores? I've gotta find a health food store around here. I depend too much on Wegmans!! (our super super market in this part of the world). Can I use vanilla extract?

4beans4me
Thu, Nov-06-03, 09:36
The nutrient list on my flour reads:

Serving size: 1/4 cup
Calories: 140
Total fat: 15
Total carb: 5
Fiber: 4
Net carb: 1
Protein: 7

The recipe breaks down as follows:

2 beaten eggs (2 carb)
2 Tbs melted butter (0 carb)
1/2 cup almond flour (2 carb)
1/2 tsp baking powder (.5 carb)
2 Tbs SF vanilla syrup (0 carb)
1/2 tsp cinnamon (.5 carb)

5 carbs total (2.5 carbs per serving)

I find my SF vanilla syrup in the coffee aisle at my local market. I wouldn't use extract as a replacement as there is no sweetener in it. You can sub 2 packets of Splenda with a dash of extract, just be sure to add 2 extra carbs to the recipe.

Good luck and let me know if you make and like it! :)

CeeTee
Fri, Nov-14-03, 09:12
4beans4me-
Yummmmmmmmmy! I tried the breakfast bread this morning and it was great. What a nice change from eggs. It took me a while to find the almond flour and the SF vanilla syrup, but I finally did. Mine wasn't quite done after 3 minutes on high but that could have been due to using jumbo eggs and/or the pan I used...so I stuck it in for another minute and it was fine. I tried half of my portion with cream cheese and the other half with SF maple syrup. I liked both. Can't wait to try toasting it tomorrow morning. Thanks so much for the recipe...keep them coming (if you have any more good ones). I just bought an LC cookbook with 500 recipes. Once I test any of them and they are good, I'll pass them along.

4beans4me
Fri, Nov-14-03, 09:17
I'm so glad you liked it CeeTee! It's wonderful with a tsp of SF jam on it too!

You can also make it like french toast. Just dip the *bread* in egg and fry it up in butter. :)

cave_girl
Sun, Nov-16-03, 10:46
buy a package of smoked salmon and place it over a bed of nuked frozen greens, mushrooms, and spinach or broccoli spears. chop it up well and season with some lemon and pepper mrs. dash....mmm this is very good

Ursula
Mon, Nov-17-03, 19:47
To me everything cooked in a microwave sucks.

How about this (it's one of my favorites):

Take with you several bags of Baken-ets (or any other brand of fried pork skins--I like the ones that are "hot" with cayenne) and several packets of cream cheese (Philly is fine--make sure it's the real thing and not fat-reduced).

With a knife, fill the pork skins with globs of cream cheese. The samll skins you can sandwich together with the cream cheese. That's it. I love it; it's what kept me on the induction diet because I'd never be able to eat this on any other diet.