PDA

View Full Version : Cheese

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

hpah1
Wed, Oct-29-03, 11:31
Can someone please give me some insight on cheese? I know that the book says about 3 ounces of cheese per day should be the limit. Has anyone eaten more cheese then that and still lost weight? I love cheese and I have a hard time only eating 3 ounces! Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

NickFender
Wed, Oct-29-03, 11:52
I've eaten more that the 3-4 ounces per day that Atkins recommends for Induction and still lost weight but I think you need to be cautious at the start and see how things go before you increase the amount because cheese does inhibit weight loss in some people. Good luck.

lasert
Wed, Oct-29-03, 14:23
Aspartame.....it has different effects on different folks.
When I started back in April, I ate lots and lots of cheese because I was so happy to be able to eat it again.............having given it up pretty much after having 4 stents implanted a few years ago. I pigged out on cheddar, my favorite, and still lost weight - perhaps not as much as I might have, but enough.
I still eat at least 4 oz a day most days what with a 4-egg cheese omelette most mornings, some snacks, some swiss in a salad oftentimes, and a piece of karen's delicious cheesecake when my total carbs/calories for a day are not too bad.
My weight keeps coming off a bit at a time which is fine with me. It might be nice to have a whoosh......but not at the cost of having to look at that much more loose skin flopping under my arms etc. I'll stick to the slow progress I'm making these days.
It seems to be one of the most satisfying things I eat, that along with bacon. I'm quickly becoming a baconholic if such an animal exists. I now buy 3 lb. packages of Gwaltney thick sliced hickory smoked (sugar-free) and have loaded the freezer with 18 packages of 3 lb. bacon recently.

hpah1
Wed, Oct-29-03, 14:28
Thanks for the input Lasert and Nickfender. I guess I will just have to see how it affects me. I hope that it does not stall my weightloss because I love it as a snack and also in my salads!

TerryLynne
Fri, Nov-21-03, 07:08
I don't measure my cheese intake, but would guess it's often more than 3oz a day. It hasn't affected my weight loss either. I guess it's another one of those YMMV foods...

TerryLynne
Fri, Nov-21-03, 11:14
If you like cheese, You all HAVE to try this recipe!!! I made it for dinner last night and it is so good!!!! Beware!!! You will love it!! All my kids even loved it. crust sounds weird, but it comes out wonderful! I only had Monteray Jack cheese so that's what I used. It was great, have made it with mozerella before but like the Monteray Jack better :yum:

Recipe: LowCarb Pizza

Ingredients:
---------------------------------------
4-oz cream cheese
3 eggs
1/3 cup cream
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
2 cups mixed italian cheese
1/2 cup low carb pizza sauce
1 cup of mozzarella cheese

pizza toppings of your choice:

pepperoni
ham
onion
green pepper
mushrooms
bacon
browned sausage or seasoned ground beef
additional parmasan cheese for topping

How To Prepare:
---------------------------------------
Beat together cream cheese and eggs til smooth. Add
cream, parm cheese,and spices and mix again.
Spray 9x13 casserole dish with PAM. Sprinkle 2 cups italian cheeses into dish and pour egg mixture over it. Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Spread on pizza sauce, sprinkle 1 cup of mozarella cheese and pile with your favorite toppings. Then sprinkle with more parm cheese. Return to oven and bake til bubbly and browning.Allow to stand 10 minutes before cutting.
For a crispier crust, bake at 400 for 20 min then broil it for about another 3-4 min. Then add the cheese and toppings, cooked again at 400 for about 15 min, then put it under the broiler again for another 4 min to crisp up the pepperoni and veggies...

=======================================
This recipe was found at:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/cgi-bin/recipe/recipe.cgi (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/cgi-bin/recipe/recipe.cgi)

Laters
Fri, Nov-21-03, 16:14
I say stick with the recommended cheese count at least for the first two weeks, then experiment.

lkonzelman
Fri, Nov-21-03, 17:39
It stalls some people (dairy actually) also, can cause constipation.

If you are staying near the right serving size daily and taking a SF fiber suppliment you "probably" will be ok.

If you are losing and enjoying eating... I say go for it. :)