PDA

View Full Version : To newbies - the Golden Shot

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

adkpam
Wed, Oct-29-03, 08:44
I didn't see this concept covered in the FAQ's, so I wanted to mention that when I first began cruising the web, researching low carb eating, I ran across: THE GOLDEN SHOT

This is what your first attempt at low carb eating is called. When you first begin a low carb program, most people find their body responds beautifully. They lose weight and the cravings go away.

However, this is your one and only golden shot. If you give up and revert to your old way of eating, the next time you decide to go back, it will be a little harder. If you do this multiple times, your body really resists. You don't want that.

I think this is one of the reasons I was pretty successful; I was careful and I never let one bite lead me into a carbfest. I never let things get out of hand for more than one meal, and I was careful to keep my carbs low for several days after that.

So it's just a suggestion that you commit completely and fully if this is your first time lowcarbing.

Otherwise, when you fall off the wagon, it might run you over.

meows
Wed, Oct-29-03, 08:51
Thanks for the encouragement and advice..Still in induction, but it is getting easier :)

Kathy54
Wed, Oct-29-03, 10:03
That is funny,I was just thinking about that yesterday! I do remember reading that on this forum and it really stuck to me. I know it sure helped me, to make my first shot, my best shot! and I'm I glad I did! :Party: :yay: :agree: :Party:

A very good point to remind newbies about :thup:

Cheers Kathy

Kristine
Wed, Oct-29-03, 11:13
Here's the link (http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/goldenshot.html) to the original article written by Lora of lowcarbluxury.com. :thup:

Don't take it too seriously - it's just an opinion piece. I don't think it's meant to be discouraging to those who do falter: I've seen many people at this forum who say, "I did this (x) amount of time ago, but fell off the wagon..." and they're now successful. Fellow mod Donald (http://forum.lowcarber.org/member.php?u=3272) is a great example. It's just a caution against thinking "I can go on and off the plan, it won't matter, I can just go back to induction..." It also states the reality of age and slower metabolism. Time isn't kind - if it's worth doing, it's worth doing now. :thup:

NickFender
Wed, Oct-29-03, 11:56
I agree with Kristine, don't take this as gospel. Your body is not like a dog learning tricks. It's reaction to your diet is an ongoing, dynamic process that you need to pay attention to over time.

ozziesgirl
Wed, Oct-29-03, 12:01
What if I started on sept 4th, did wonderfully until the 28th when I screwed up (hurricaine, no power, food, etc) for a few days, got back on then periodically cheated until three days ago when I ate horribly for about a week and now am back on track. Did that mess my body up a lot you think? Still kept the 9 lbs off that I lost so that makes me feel a little better!