PDA

View Full Version : help I'm ready to quit sorry kinda long

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

hannah0422
Tue, Oct-28-03, 17:55
Good evening everyone
I am having a horrible night! I went out of ketosis and gained a huge amount of weight in the last week. Today was the WOE breaker! I weighed and measured every bite I put in my mouth.
Menu
2 eggs 1/4 C cheese
water

1/2 C cabbage shredded with helmans and splenda
2 oz cheese
water

snack 1/2 cup pork rinds
2oz cheese
water

supper
ham steak water

thats what I,ve had today
72 oz. water total
the cabbage came out to 18 carbs so I have not eaten any more carbs today
took my usual meds and suppliment Atkins basic 3 and dieters advantage.
Since I weighed last fri I have gained 91/2 pounds I am so frustrated. I thought I was doing it exactly right. Please if anyone has any ideas let me know what they are. I don't want to quit but I feel terrible and look worse. What is going on. This is my11th day on induction. I even cut my salt almost completely out this week. I do't know what else to do. I re=read atkins book last night read on the bourds today. Sor this is so long but I really need some help.
TIA
Jane

shortstuff
Tue, Oct-28-03, 18:56
Jane, I have no idea why you have gained weight. Is it getting near your TOM? Also, you say you have cut out nearly all salt, but pork rinds and ham are LOADED with salt.

If that's all you've eaten today, you're starving yourself. Your eggs could use some butter (salt free) to cook them in and some cream mixed in if you scrambled them or made an omlet. You could have had half an avacado and some black olives in that omlet.

For cheese you've had a total of 8 ounces. Dr. Atkins says 2 - 3 ounces during induction. Also, many cheeses are very high in sodium (salt).

Next, where are your veggies? You need veggies. You can have 1 to 2 cups of salad veggies per day + 1 cup of the other allowed veggies (refer to your Atkins book in the induction part - there are two distinct lists of veggies allowed during induction). I do see 1/2 cup cabbage and you say it's 18 carbs, but you didn't subtract out the fiber. Fiber is subtracted from your carbs to give you net carbs. (The avacado and olives are not counted as part of this group - they are allowed extras.) Your salad for lunch could have been a cup of so of spinach or one of the dark lettuces, a chopped egg, some broccoli, some cauliflower, lots of interesting things plus olive oil or a full fat dressing over it.

If you're willing to continue trying, please consider cutting way back on the cheese, dump the pork rinds and limit salty meats. And drink a lot of water. I mean a LOT! I drink 4 liters of water a day at the very least. Four liters = roughly 135 ounces or a little over a gallon.

If you're still having a problem gaining weight, I honestly think a visit to your doctor for a blood workup would be in order. Sometimes when we feel healthy our blood work will tell a very different story.

Jane, I know you're upset about this and I may have come on a little too strong, but I think if you make some changes this can work for you. I'm a very slow loser and it's sometimes discouraging, but I feel so much better just getting the white foods out of my body and feeding it good, healthy foods.

Hang in there lady, we're all pulling for you.

shortstuff

tofi
Tue, Oct-28-03, 19:07
Hello Jane. I know how discouraging it can seem when you try to follow things exactly and your body doesn't cooperate by dropping pounds.

Here are some things that you might consider:

I see quite a bit of cheese in today's menu. There are 4 ounces PLUS 1/4 cup today alone. This is more than the Induction limit of 2-3 ounces per day. Then it also has a lot of sodium, as does the ham steak for dinner. And that can make you retain water = pounds gained. If this is typical of what you are eating, then you may just need to cut down on the salty foods.

I know this is only one day's food, but that 1/2 C of cabbage isn't the amount of veggies that you are supposed to eat (2 cups of salad plus Induction cooked veggies, OR 3 cups of salad) These are important for their nutrients and their fiber. When you don't eat them, then the diet is rather "low residue" and there can be quite a bit of erm "digested matter" in transit in the intestines.

If you have been on a low cal or low fat diet before starting LCing, you may have been protein deficient for quite a while. Now that you are eating adequate protein, your body may be making repairs so you are gaining some muscle tissue.

I entered 1 cup of cabbage into fitday.com and found these results:
Total Carbohydrate 4.83g Since it contains Dietary Fiber 2.05g in 1 cup, and you subtract that, the Effective Carb Count is only about 2.78 gm for a whole cup. Are most of your other carbs coming from the cheese? That might be the answer.

Dr. Atkins books say that almost all medications and hormonal cycles can affect the losing. So can colds, flu and infections. If you are on any medications, they may need adjusting so do consult your own doctor. If you notice your ankles swelling or any shortness of breath, call your Dr. right away.

Hormones can make you gain 5-9 pounds before your period but if you keep drinking the water, they should go. Even in menopause, women are affected by hormone fluctuations.

Those are my initial thoughts - I hope they may help. I am sure others will be along to give you more ideas. Do try to follow the Induction rules as strictly as possible for the first 2 weeks.

hannah0422
Tue, Oct-28-03, 20:21
You guys rock! I feel much better thanks to you all. I was so busy counting carbs I forgot about the salt in the meat and pork rinds. I really screwed up on the cheese. I am having so much trouble with sugar cravings I haven't been using my God given brain and thinking rationally. I have been having alot of trouble getting veggies down so i ate the cabbage for something different i must not have figured it right on the fit day site. I will try the darg greens in a salad cause I can't eat an other bite of broccoli. As for hormones, you are rite about that, even though I am in menopause My hormones still rage 1 wk per month. You all have been a great support for me and I really thank you bunches. Good luck to you both and thank you. I hope to talk to you soon.
Jane

PurpleStix
Tue, Oct-28-03, 22:04
1. took my usual meds
Some medications affect weight loss :(

2. If you had a low protein low calcium diet before, your bones could be filling up :)

3. You have an imbalance of fat sources. Too much long chain saturated fat from the pork, not enough short chain SF for fuel (butter is great), monounsaturates(virgin olive oil is best), omega-3 (unrefined flax oil, oily fish), omega-6(unrefined seed and nut oils). You can put the healthy oils on the salads you should be having. Fish, birds and game are generally healthier sources of protein than farm raised red meat or processed meats and sausages, because of the types of fats they contain.

4. IMHO veggies are the most varied food group. Check out the produce section at the supermarket.

LilaCotton
Wed, Oct-29-03, 02:42
Hi, Jane! I hope you're feeling much better, and that this works for you! I'm coming along kind of slowly myself--seems like my scales are just really stubborn and don't want to take that dive! LOL

Anyway, I thought I'd post my salad shopping list and let you take a look at it. We eat salad at least twice a day, and I can guarantee you we never eat the 'same' salad even once during the week. ;)

Romaine lettuce
Kale
Mustard Greens
Spinach
Alfalfa sprouts
Celery
Parsley
Cabbage
Radishes
Green onions (sparingly)
Mushrooms
Tomatoes (sparingly)
Cucumbers
Green, red, whatever color peppers
Zucchini (yes, it's great grated on salad!)

And when we just want a real taste treat we sometimes add some of the following:
ahalf-dozen green olives, a half-ounce of cheese, two or three SMALL pork rinds broken into pieces, boiled eggs, tuna, chicken, so on and so forth!

I just love salads because the possibilities are endless! :D

gilibel
Wed, Oct-29-03, 07:12
I, personally, believe that cabbage/kale etc are some of the best veggies there are for this WOE. They are way more nutrient dense than most lettuces/cukes etc (which mostly contains water - go for dark leaf lettuce if anything, spinach, endive etc and fling out the meaningless iceberg...) and the fiber count is awsome! So much filler for such few netcarbs!

There is even a PR feature somewhere at www.atkinscenter.com about these "ugly veggies". So eat your cabbage and smile! (My favourite is pe-tsai/chinese cabbage, used both as sallad, fried in wok's and boiled with melted butter on top. Yum!)

:)

Best of luck!

/gil

hannah0422
Wed, Oct-29-03, 07:13
Thanks again

I realy appreciate al of the suggestions. I am going to use all of them today and try to quick being so uptight! I do have one moe question. I went over the induction part of atkins book again last night. In one part he said to eat one med. sald per day period. In another part he said to eat either 3 small salads or 2 small salads and 1/2 cup of one of the other salads. (I will use the list above,today) Do I devide the med. salad into 3 small salads or what?
I can't wait until I comletely understand this, I know it is not that complicated! I asume I am either having a major blond moment or my brain has a big old coat on. :) Anyway thank you all again.
Have a great day
Jane

hannah0422
Wed, Oct-29-03, 07:32
BTW
I eally do know how to spell, I just can't type
Jane

shortstuff
Wed, Oct-29-03, 07:39
Hi Jane, me again.

You need to get an updated copy of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. His instructions changed as he modified his diet through the years to give us the optimum benefit.

You're allowed 2-3 cups of salad per day but only 2 cups if you have one cup of veggies from the other list. You can also have up to I think it's 10 olives or 1/2 an avacado per day. I personally opt for spinach salads, I just love spinach, it has almost no carbs and wonderful phytonutrients and fiber.

(Don't worry about the brain fog - we all get it sooner or later and usually when we're the most stressed about something and you sound like you've been really stressed about this.)

Keep going, we're all here and cheering you on!

shortstuff

hannah0422
Wed, Oct-29-03, 07:49
thanks shortstuff
I bought some of the dark green salad fixings last night. I am going to make a salad as soon as I am off the puter. My book is old. My dh was put on this after a quadruple bipass in 1995. He started back on this after he failed at weightwatchers. Anyhow I will get an updated version of the book. I already have his book of recipes it is very good, too,
thanks again and have a great day.
Jane

blueflyer
Wed, Oct-29-03, 16:12
DON'T YOU DARE GIVE UP!! WE'RE HERE FOR YOU!
BUT, YOU'VE GOT TO GET YOUR FOOD INTAKE CORRECTED.

Enough others have already answered you in what Induction Diet is.

Did you do blood work BEFORE STARTING?

Look at me, I've started this diet June 2, 2003. I did it out of fustration with my blood work results and look now! As of Tuesday, Oct 28, I've lost 14 lbs and my blood tests are GREAT!!!!
Even, my Doctor couldn't believe how good my numbers were!

EDUCATION YOURSELF! Go to atkins.com and read and read and read, Get his books. Study them. Read things on this WONDEFUL BOARD!

BUT, DON'T GIVE UP!