PDA

View Full Version : Zone question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lady V
Tue, Oct-28-03, 16:06
just finally joined this site. it really is so good. so many questions...so little time.....
my situation basically is....
iīm not overweight by any means, nor do i have an eating disorder. i merely want to shed about 15lbs, go back to and a little below the size i WAS 7 months ago.
THEN...i tried the atkins diet (which by the way, is brilliant, just didnt work for me)...unfortunately, i got repeatadly distracted by life and came on and off the diet. until basically, iīd GAINED 10 lbs, not much, but enough to be annoying (all my fault too)
then, 2 months ago, to kick start things, i went on the Fat Fast. now, i know its dangerous to go on for people who arent metabolically resistant, but what can you do?...
the point is, i exercised SO much, and did NOT lose an inch nor a pound.

THEN, after a month on that, i began to JUST eat protein shakes...and nothing else. again, i know, i know, unhealthy.....
a month of that....and nothing...oh, the reason i cut out fat was because i was taking sida cordifolia to up my metabolism so felt i didnt need the fat. (was taking supplements)

anyway, still...no weight loss.
i know i sound annoying, as i donīt have much to lose, but it really is frustrating when you really cant lose ANYTHING. i donīt want to be anorexic....just want to be VERY toned.

anyway, so now, iīm trying my hand at the zone, and i WILL stick it out until the weight budges.

any tips? and one else in similar position? please...donīt lecture me....just advice...

thanks,
victoria*

Elihnig
Tue, Oct-28-03, 16:58
If your height is 5 feet 7 inches, you are already underweight.

You did not mention what type of exercises you are doing. You said you were exercising SO much, overexercising is very hard on the body. You need to target the amount and intensity of the exercises.

You might want to check out the General Exercise forum or the Body For Life Forum.

If you want a toned body, there's only one way to go...weight lifting.

The eating plan should be something you would feel comfortable doing for the rest of your life, not a quick, short term diet.

If you haven't done so already, pick up a Zone book to read. I read a few from the library.

Good luck,

Beth

Lady V
Wed, Oct-29-03, 11:32
i was, and still do, walk about 5 miles a day, train 4 10 mins each morning (press ups, sit ups, etc...), i do pilates about twice a week, and i do yoga. i will certainly research different forms of exercise. thanks*

ozziesgirl
Wed, Oct-29-03, 12:07
Maybe you are watching the numbers on the scale too much and not listening to your body. When you lost weight before, were you exercising? Because you are now so you are gaining muscle. And maybe combined with the protein, you muscles are taking on a different shape?? I don't know but that could be the reason why you are not losing that last 10 lbs. Plus you probably know it takes longer to lose weight when you don't have much to lose. I am 5'1" and our goal weights are the same.

forkbender
Wed, Oct-29-03, 12:19
Hi Lady V,

I have used the Zone Diet for several months a while back. I can honestly say I never felt better on any diet I've been on. I ate a just below maintenance and never had a drop in energy, slept great and plenty of stamina for heavy weight workouts.

The downside: The zone will definitely cause you to do extensive meal planning and label reading to get your ratios right. IOW it is kind of tedious, esp. if you are a busy person or not a real meticulous type. After some time on it you will get have a feel for contents of certain foods that you can use over and over. That is basically how I did it. I worked up a spreadsheet where I could plug in the food, the ratios C/P/F and total calories and kept a running percentage during the day. Many times I would resort to eating the same combinations of meals because of time constraints and lack of planning.

This diet works great for athletes and highly active people. I liked the concept of the diet and I lost significant weight while on it. Get the book if you haven't. Dr. Sears results show significant perfomance enhancement in elite (olympic/college)athletes in several studies after switching to the Zone.

Remember those last few lbs. are the hardest, your body wants to hold on for dear life. Stay active, be patient and good luck.

fb