PDA

View Full Version : Bean Salad

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

HippyChic
Tue, Oct-28-03, 10:39
I know I'm always looking for new side dishes and this is a good one

Kidney Bean Salad
1 can (16 ounce) light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup coarsely chopped cucumber
1/4 cup ranch salad dressing
1/4 teaspoon dill weed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 can (14 1/2 ounce) diced tomatoes, drained
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Preparation:
In a bowl, combine beans, onion, cucumber, salad dressing, dill weed, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Just before serving, stir in tomatoes; sprinkle with cheese.

Great with sandwiches!

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Chill Time: 30 minutes

Servings: 6

Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 116; Fat 6g (Saturated 1g); Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 371mg; Carbohydrate 11g (Dietary Fiber 4g); Protein 5g.

Yank_in_NC
Tue, Oct-28-03, 10:48
aren't beans high in carbs?

HippyChic
Tue, Oct-28-03, 16:02
I thought so too but the carb count in the nutritional value didn't look too bad. I haven't tried Fit Day or anything, I was just going by what this recipe source had listed.

HippyChic
Tue, Oct-28-03, 16:13
OK, I just went and looked it up on Fit Day and for canned kidney beans it has approx 40 g. and 16 g. of fiber. So I guess if you figure that the 7 net carbs for the recipe is per serving and you get 6 servings out of a batch that would be about right by the time you add in the count for the other items.