PDA

View Full Version : Eating Pasta

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

StephenS
Mon, Oct-27-03, 22:34
I Ate a Cup Of Pasta Today,is that like terribly gona jinx the diet?.....I feel so ashamed.....please tell me sumthing I wanna hear!

stella j
Tue, Oct-28-03, 00:04
Hi Stephen. First of all, your stats say you're doing greaT! Is this the first time you've cheated? I havent cheated yet, but honey I am NOT looking forward to it. From looking around here it seems that people fall into a trap and continuously eat more carbs because carbs are so addicting.

But on the bright side, you can do it! Look how far you have come. Man, I can only WAIT to be in your shoes! Don't eat anymore. How did it feel? Was it great? Or did you feel like dirt? How did it make you feel? Was it worth it? Let me know.

Hope to talk to you soon.

Lesle
Tue, Oct-28-03, 04:46
Hi Stephen,
Pasta isn't part of Atkins, no. But, hey, don't be so hard on yourself.
I don't like to even use the word "cheat". It has the conontation that we've been "bad"...or done something wrong. I just prefer to think of it as hitting a little bump in the road. You just keep going...keep your carbs a bit lower the next day to help your body "catch up"...and get right back on track. :thup:
You're doing so well! Don't let this discouage you in the least!
Have a great day,

Lesle

stellaj - Hi neightbor, I live a litle south of Lake City.

fisk
Tue, Oct-28-03, 06:04
I have a question on the sort of same subject. Does anyone here do some kind of "controled cheat"? What I mean is, do you have a certain time that you consider perfectly ok to indulge (within reason) just to keep your sanity.

I'm currently on my 8th day and doing just fine so far. But the thought of going the rest of my life without a couple of pieces of pizza or a cheeseburger when I go out with friends is not very appealing.

Any comments?

fisk

Ps. sorry to hijack this thread, it just seemed to fit here

MaryToU
Tue, Oct-28-03, 06:48
Fisk, as time goes by it will be more and more the norm not to want that pizza or cheeseburger. I know, its hard to believe right now. But you are still new to the lifestlye.

As for the pasta, life will go on. I would just pick up from that point and carry on. Odds are very good that you knocked yourself out of ketosis. So it will take about three days to get back into it. That is just the price you have to pay. And sadly sometimes the price is worth it.

ian559
Tue, Oct-28-03, 06:50
Why cheat at all Fisk? You are loosing. You are doing great. Why take a chance of a controlled cheat and end up on a huge binge. Why nothave pizza? Make low carb pizza we do it once a week. Why not have a hamburger? We do that one night a week also. Thereare many low carb "buns" out there that are very tasty. When you go out choose other things and make your low carb comfort food at home.
I think planning to cheat is wrong.

StephenS
Tue, Oct-28-03, 16:12
Stella,I just felt horrible today knowing that I still ate that cup of creamy pasta! but now I know,and you just are making me avoid,100% this time. Im not gona take another Pasta Bite,THANKS!

stella j
Tue, Oct-28-03, 23:52
LOL Stephen! Right on. Thats the idea. My friend came in tonight and I had a french vanilla candle going and she started SCREAMING, YOU CHEATED YOU CHEATED, I SMELL CAKE.. i said.. no way lady. thats a candle. thats the extend of my sweetz. :-) Im proud of you!

stella j
Tue, Oct-28-03, 23:53
oh and you know what i keep saying to myself.. "food isnt for fun.. its to put gas in your tank to keep you moving" not to gorge and obsessive over.. think little to get the bigger picture! :-) sweet dreamz

PurdieGirl
Wed, Oct-29-03, 00:22
Have any of you tried low carb pasta? I'm thinking about ordering some and wanted to know if they taste good? Thanks.

LilaCotton
Wed, Oct-29-03, 02:19
I haven't tried LC pasta--yet. BUT, I found a recipe in the Recipes section that I can use with my pasta machine and I'm definitely going to try it. I also bought a spaghetti squash this evening (I don't care much for it, but the hubby loves it!) to have on hand.

hpah1
Wed, Oct-29-03, 08:15
I bought Keto pasta shells and they were HORRIBLE. I would not waste your money on them. My husband, who will eat ANYTHING, took one bite and threw the rest down the drain. I would rather never eat pasta again then eat those things! But, hey, just our opinion, you may love them! ha ha

TAK
Wed, Oct-29-03, 09:01
Thank you so much, Lesle. Even though I'm new, I feel that everyone is responsible for choices. Rather than assume that life is over if you eat the carbs, the best thing you can do for yourself is get right back on the program. Maybe the carbs cause cravings, if it causes us to eat a dozen doughnuts for the next six months, maybe there is more going on than meets the eye.

WendyLynn
Wed, Oct-29-03, 09:25
PurdieGirl, I wouldn't waste the carbs on LC pasta if I were you. The texture is like sawdust and doesn't satisfy the taste for pasta at all. It may be hard at first but my recommendation is to wait until you are at a higher carb allowance (like toward maintainance) and then have a small portion of the real thing(mixed with all kinds of veggies or protein) very occasionally.

Kathy54
Wed, Oct-29-03, 09:50
Yep, just get back strict on track :thup:
I've been eating this way for 10 months now, reached my goal in August. Although I have re-introduced many grains, potatoes, fruits, all in controlled servings, "Pasta" is the one thing, I cannot ever seeing myself eat again, unless they develope a real good alternative, lol.
What stops me from eating pasta? ( which by the way my family still has 1-2x's a week), the fact that when I think about having some, I also think about what's in it, as I do most foods, and because to me it would be like diggin out a cup of white flour and dumping it on my plate, cause that's all it is, held together with a bit of water and a egg in some cases.

Try some spegetti squash, if your out of induction, I like mine roasted well, I use it with spegetti sauce or just with butter and fresh ground pepper.

Cheers Kathy :)

PurdieGirl
Wed, Oct-29-03, 14:09
Thank you so much everybody. I will get 1 bag and try it out for myself. I think I will go and find a spaghetti squash at the market tonight. Butter and fresh ground pepper sounds so delicious!

minicooper
Sat, Nov-01-03, 13:26
I bought Keto pasta shells and they were HORRIBLE.

Hi,
I've got to agree! The Keto shells have a disturbing texture and an unpleasant taste. No sauce can cover up either one!

potatofree
Sat, Nov-01-03, 14:35
I've tried Keto, darielle, and one other (can't remember WHAt the heck it was called...threw it away after one serving..<bleh>)

They have a weird, gritty texture, and a distinct soy taste... a small serving of whole wheat pasta when you reach maintenance, IMO would be MUCH more satisfying.

rosamarie
Tue, Nov-04-03, 12:06
I tried the Atkins pasta and it is horrible. Want waste my money on that one again.

Swirl825
Tue, Nov-04-03, 12:13
Hi all! Here's some advice: I started my low carb diet this July... not Atkins, just low carb. I decided to stay at 100 carbs or below a day. I've done that since July. I knew that if I did the Atkins... I would fail. I've lost 43 pounds since July! I made sure I ate pizza once a week because pizza was my weakness. I eat at fast food places 3-4 times a week... just check out their nutrition facts before you eat and avoid the fries! You don't have to not eat what you want to loose weight. I buy whole wheat pasta to make spaghetti, and it actually has a better taste! I even eat a piece of chocolate every day! It can be done... I am proof! :)