PDA

View Full Version : Over 50

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ccook1
Mon, Oct-27-03, 18:31
Hi! My name is Carolyn and I'm 52 I had a back operation that because of complications from it I was in really bad shape for almost 2 years, and because of blood clots in my legs and lungs, I wasn't allowed up so I gained allot of weight that I have found very hard to lose. I have just started on the Healthy for Life program, and I have gone from 230 to 215 in a little over 3 weeks. I have no hunger or cravings now and it is wonderful. I have to start exercising, and I need more than a push. Be cause of the back operation ( fusion) and not getting to do the walking that I should have done around a month after, my back is no better if now worse than it was before :cry: I'm trying to take it slow doing walking, I all so have a Nordic track that I am going to start using.
Wish me luck. I am 5ft 2 and my weight makes it hard to do the things I want to do. I am a mother to 7 and a step mother to 2 and I have 6 grandchildren.

Carolyn :)

Chris Rob
Tue, Oct-28-03, 09:36
Carolyn

Welcome to the best support for the 'over fifties' you can possibly receive. Well done it a spectacular weight :yay: :yay: I would think with all those children and grandchildren, you would prob. be fairly busy. I am a mother of three, G.mother of three. I have found that for me, joining a fitness center or club is the best motivation. hate to spend the money and not use the facilities. They have some really good machines. most of which, are really low mpact and easy on us older gals. You might even consider a personal trainer, a really good one will help tone etc. and teach you to work around and strengthen, despite disabilities. Anyway, good luck and keep us all posted as to how you are doing.

sassy57
Wed, Nov-05-03, 05:50
Hi Carolyn. I will be 58 Thursday and I can relate to the back. I have bad hips,but I have to now find time with work and all to get some sort of exercise in.

sassy57
Sat, Nov-08-03, 06:07
Hi! My name is Carolyn and I'm 52 I had a back operation that because of complications from it I was in really bad shape for almost 2 years, and because of blood clots in my legs and lungs, I wasn't allowed up so I gained allot of weight that I have found very hard to lose. I have just started on the Healthy for Life program, and I have gone from 230 to 215 in a little over 3 weeks. I have no hunger or cravings now and it is wonderful. I have to start exercising, and I need more than a push. Be cause of the back operation ( fusion) and not getting to do the walking that I should have done around a month after, my back is no better if now worse than it was before :cry: I'm trying to take it slow doing walking, I all so have a Nordic track that I am going to start using.
Wish me luck. I am 5ft 2 and my weight makes it hard to do the things I want to do. I am a mother to 7 and a step mother to 2 and I have 6 grandchildren.

Carolyn :)
Carolyn, Have you tried the walking tapes? They are called Walking away the pounds. I got mine on Ebay and then found them in Target stores. They are really great for us with back and hip problems. You don't even feel like you have given any strain either.

Chloesue
Sun, Nov-09-03, 21:00
Carolyn,
I would like to invite you to our exercising thread in this forum that I started.It's titled:Looking For Ladies in Their 50's to Exercise.
Today we started a challenge to exercise for at least 30 minutes a day from now to the end of the year.
You have done really well with your weight loss so far.I've lost 30 pounds since I started the Atkins WOE back in January.I still have lots to lose but decided back in July to add some exercise to also help me in my healthier lifestyle.

Nancy

ALEKA
Tue, Nov-11-03, 16:26
Hi Carolyn--Welcome to the BEST supportive Group you will find anywhere. The people on this site are the best you can find.

I understand about back trouble. I have had back trouble since I fractured a vertebrae turning a patient over twenty years ago. I also have bad osteoporosis which is causing my vertebrae to crumble. When one goes on me--I wait until the severe pain is gone and then restart my exercises. Start slow and gradually build up what ever exercise you choose to do. Some go to gyms others buy tapes and follow them. What ever you choose to do--get something that makes you move--even if a little. I started with Greer Childers Body Flex. You can do that sitting in a chair. It is mainly a breathing technique coupled with a band to stress your muscles. Now I am doing also what the girls on TOFFS are doing--Walk Away The Pounds tapes by Leslie Sansone. Hope that you join us!

Good luck on your weight loss and congratulations on what you have already lost.

By the way--I am 63 years old--soon to be 64! Alice

sassy57
Wed, Nov-12-03, 06:15
Hi Carolyn.and everyone.
I find having support groups really help.

ophallon
Sat, Nov-15-03, 11:10
Hi all, I am back after a sabbatical of several months. I am a "young" 52 and determined to do this this time. I am on day 2 of induction. Worked out this morning for over an hour.

Will stay and in touch and avail myself of the support this board offers.