PDA

View Full Version : Negative Carb Counts/Hidden Carb Calc

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pebbs
Wed, Aug-01-01, 08:13
Help - For some reason I don't get this! When using the hidden carb calculator I get negative carb counts - I see there is note in regard to this - but alas....I still don't get it. I think this would be a great tool - but I need to understand. I am dense or what???

tamarian
Wed, Aug-01-01, 08:40
Hi Pebbs,

Let me know what products/label did you try, and the information listed, and I will see if there's a good explanation. Did the manufacturer subtract fiber from carbs or from calories, or both?

We'll figure it out eventually :)

Wa'il

Pebbs
Wed, Aug-01-01, 08:51
Thanks for helping me!! Here are the two labels I tried out... Both ended up with negative carb counts (Exactly What Does that Mean? Free Food?? Ha Ha)....

Oscar Mayer Cheese Dogs

Calories: 140
Fat: 13g
Protein: 6g
Carbo: 1g
Fiber: 0g

Does not say anything on label in regard to subtracting calories/fiber.

Maries Blue Chunky Blue Cheese Salad Dressing

Calories: 170
Fat: 19g
Protein: 1g
Carbo: 0g

Does not say anything on label in regard to subtracting calories/fiber.

tamarian
Wed, Aug-01-01, 09:16
Pebbs,

I tried them out, under sauseges, and sauces and they do come out negative, but within the rounding range. To adjust the rounding and see values maching, you may add or subtract up to 0.49 g or each fat, protein or carb, since the manufacturers round these figures, and we don't know the exact count to 10th or 100th units.

iteachca
Wed, Aug-01-01, 09:17
Wow - I can't wait to hear the answer to this one. Free food - now that would be nice!
Donna

Pebbs
Wed, Aug-01-01, 09:25
I guess I still don't get it - could explain exactly how to use this calculator?

tamarian
Wed, Aug-01-01, 09:51
Pebbs, no worries, you did it right.

Take the first one you used:

Oscar Mayer Cheese Dogs

Calories: 140
Fat: 13g
Protein: 6g
Carbo: 1g

How much fat is there? It says 13 grams, but this can any where 12.51 to 13.49 grams, since they are rounded to 13.

If you plug that information into the calculator, and get negative results, this is because of this type of rounding on the manufacturers part. So getting -1, or +1 is possible, the calculator is intended to catch false lables, when the difference in carbs can 4-10 grams!

Wa'il