PDA

View Full Version : low carb tortilla recipe

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

shelley
Tue, Aug-14-01, 13:19
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup wheat gluten flour
1 cup soy protein powder
3 tablespoons lard
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water

Mix all flours, protein and salt. Cut in lard with pastry cutter. Mix in water 2 tablespoons at a time. Form into a ball,cover and let rest 1/2 hour.
form into 16 balls. Roll out between 2 sheets of waxed paper.
Fry in nonstick dry skillet until browned on both sides.
Store between damp towels until finished frying all dough.
Can be frozen in ziplock bags.

Variation; I kneaded in 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 2 teaspoons oregano just before frying.

I also tried breaking into pieces and deep frying. Good with dip.

Plain tortillas 1.7 grams carbs. (a little more with garlic and oregano.)

Sharon
Tue, Aug-14-01, 14:41
So, did it work good for a tortilla??? How was the texture?

shelley
Tue, Aug-14-01, 19:59
I really liked this recipe. It was easy, inexpensive and tasty.:D

jensfun
Mon, Feb-09-04, 14:25
So, did it work good for a tortilla??? How was the texture?
seems 1 cup water is not right, these taste good but i only used 1/2 cup water and they stuck to the wax paper and fell apart. I ending up making little pieces. any suggestions? success's

Karen
Mon, Feb-09-04, 17:58
You're probably right on the water amount. :)

I've never made them but where I can see something going awry is with the wheat gluten flour and soy protein. It has to be vital wheat gluten and plain soy protein isolate. I would also knead it until if formed a really stiff, bouncy ball before letting it rest.

Karen

MargaritaL
Thu, Jul-07-05, 14:22
I do my tortillas in microwave oven, one by one. I use a dish, spray with PAM, pour some mix, microwave it for one minute, take it out, and repeat the process.

LadyArya
Thu, Jul-07-05, 14:48
Please pardon my cooking ignorance, but how do you cut in lard with a pastry cutter? :blush:

deb34
Thu, Jul-28-05, 14:19
forget about cutting it in the hard way!!!

Just freeze the amount of lard you will use and then grate on the large side of a box grater....grate right into the rest of your dry ingredients....then toss quickly together....it will be the perfect size to then mix with your wet ingredients.

this is so fast and easy compared to cutting in with a pastry cutter...

Deb

Bandito
Wed, Aug-10-05, 22:05
I have been making my own tortillas with the carbalose flour. Same stuff that is in carbquick, just not the leavening agent and other stuff. I freeze a stick of unsalted butter and grate it into the flour (carbalose flour is salty enough). I use enough to give the flour a slightly crumbly texture. I usually make huge batches and freeze, so I just dump ingredients in and go for texture. Then I slowly add enough water to make a soft dough.

Then I knead on the dough counter top and make into balls then roll out thin. Then I lightly brush one side with melted salted butter. Because of the butter in them I do not need to flour the counter top and they peel off real easy without tearing. I slap em on a piping hot cast iron griddle two at a time and wait for golden brown spots to appear, then flip.

After each one is done, I place them of a plate with a sopping wet doubled up paper towel. I have another one on top to keep the moisture in. the tortillas are stacked and stored with wet paper towels in a gallon size freezer bag. They do not become soggy, and they stay quite moist. You can eithere freeze them for later or store them in the fridge.

These are really good. My little boy and hubby love them and it is difficult to keep them in stock. They turn out like fajita style. They are less plyable when cold, but become very soft and workable when nuked for a couple seconds.

MargaritaL
Thu, Aug-11-05, 16:17
Bandito:
Excuse me, where do you get this carbalosa flour?
Margarita

Bandito
Thu, Aug-11-05, 17:02
I buy the carbalose flour from here www.netrition.com Click on the blue text on the top of the page that says low carb foods. You will get a list of featured foods. Click the link that says complest list of low carb foods button. All brands of low carb foods are in alphabetical order. Scroll down to where is says Tova industries. They have a bisquick type mix and the carbolose flour that I make the tortillas out of. It costs 7.99 for a three lb box. Shipping is only $4.95 and you get it within 5 buisness days. I usually buy several boxes at a time to save on shipping since the cost of shipping is always $4.95 (standard ground). I have used this company quite a bit and love there sevice and variety.

UrbanZero
Mon, Sep-12-05, 15:52
You use carbquick? Or you buy the flour alone?

Bandito
Sun, Sep-25-05, 11:32
Just the flour.......
You don't need the levening agents in the carbquick.

magnamater
Sun, Sep-25-05, 12:25
Bandito, how much carbalose to a stick of butter?

Bandito
Sun, Sep-25-05, 15:24
2 sticks per 3 lb bag. I yeald about 42 tortillas.

Edit: I use about 30 oz water to the mixture. Add the water slowly and mix as you go . You don't want the dough too soft or they won't hold together when you peel them off the counter. I just made another batch, and it worked out to be about two pint glasses. Just work with it and you will find the right mix.

zesty
Sun, Oct-02-05, 00:27
oh I might try this one thanks

EdwardGmys
Mon, Oct-17-05, 13:11
I hate to quote your whole post but wanted to make sure my question was directed toward your recipe. Do you think lard could be substituted for butter? I lived in Vegas for a few years and had a lot of Mexican friends and know that they used manteca or lard when they made their own tortillas.

Also, do you have any idea how many carbs per tortilla. How many cups of carbalose flour do you start out with and do you use cold, tepid or warm water? I have never made something like this before and want to try to eliminate any potential problems so as not to waste the flour.

Thanks

Ed

I have been making my own tortillas with the carbalose flour. Same stuff that is in carbquick, just not the leavening agent and other stuff. I freeze a stick of unsalted butter and grate it into the flour (carbalose flour is salty enough). I use enough to give the flour a slightly crumbly texture. I usually make huge batches and freeze, so I just dump ingredients in and go for texture. Then I slowly add enough water to make a soft dough.

Then I knead on the dough counter top and make into balls then roll out thin. Then I lightly brush one side with melted salted butter. Because of the butter in them I do not need to flour the counter top and they peel off real easy without tearing. I slap em on a piping hot cast iron griddle two at a time and wait for golden brown spots to appear, then flip.

After each one is done, I place them of a plate with a sopping wet doubled up paper towel. I have another one on top to keep the moisture in. the tortillas are stacked and stored with wet paper towels in a gallon size freezer bag. They do not become soggy, and they stay quite moist. You can eithere freeze them for later or store them in the fridge.

These are really good. My little boy and hubby love them and it is difficult to keep them in stock. They turn out like fajita style. They are less plyable when cold, but become very soft and workable when nuked for a couple seconds.

Bandito
Mon, Oct-17-05, 15:04
Yes, lard will work well in this recipe. I would use laard, but all the lard sold in local stores have trans fats added to it. For this reason, I use butter.

I use about 2 pints of tepid water and mix it in slowly a bit at a time. I use the entire bag of flour. I just freeze the surplus for later. I get about 42 not including a dud or two. They work out to be about eight carbs. When the cost of the ingredients are added up , they are less expensinve than those sold in the store, and have no soy or trans fats.

Hope this helps.

EdwardGmys
Mon, Oct-17-05, 16:18
Thanks Bandito. Looking forward to making these. I will be visiting Vegas soon and I remember they sold Tortilla presses right in the Wal-Marts there. Also many Mexican supermarkets, will have to see if I can find a transfats-free lard. Eight carbs for a tortilla that tasts like a tortilla will be well worth it. :-)