PDA

View Full Version : Anything to Drink besides water..?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

StephenS
Fri, Oct-24-03, 22:13
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=5][COLOR=Black]

Ive been doing atkins since summer of 2003 and Ive lost over 35 pounds,but now im starting to miss flavor....alot. starting last week Ive been drinking "Propel" flavored water and I dont know if thats ok to do,or not,and if not what other things could I possibly drink besides water, I really wanna know! :/ I also drank Crystal Light Ice Tea, because when I read the atkins book I tought it said I would have Asparteme+ or w/e that is,and I miss read it and it says I can't.so I cant have that...... any suggested drinks?

LilaCotton
Sat, Oct-25-03, 00:56
Hi there! Congratulations on your GREAT weight loss!

I drink Diet Rite. It's sweetened with Splenda (sucralose). I generally drink cola, but DR makes other flavors, too.

Also, check out the flavored waters section of your grocery store as I'm noticing more and more products being made with Splenda instead of NutraSweet. It's kind of nice, really, since Splenda doesn't generally have the same affect on losing weight that Aspartame does.

Cheers! :Party:

StephenS
Sat, Oct-25-03, 04:08
Oooo nice,but anything dark for me is usally a no no,Ive been looking for flavored waters and all of them are flavored by Aspestam or w/e,I did find one thing,Flavored Seltzer water...BUT YUCK!. anyone suggest anything else? and also what is the deal with that Aspestam,Aspartame,w/e. why is it so affective on low Carb Diets?

mb99
Sat, Oct-25-03, 05:37
If your not looking for something fizzy but just flavoured water, I would suggest herbal teas.

There are heaps of different flavours, and just great cold. I make it up with boiling water, leave for a while to get maximum flavour per tea bag, dilute with cold water, refridge overnight. And viola! Much cheaper then flavoured water too... and it has some taste.

Plagiomom
Sat, Oct-25-03, 06:04
There's also Fruit-2-O http://www.fruit20.com/flash.html - it's water flavored with fruit essence and sweetened with Splenda.

My DH and my dad, who are also on Atkin's, enjoy this drink. Here in NY, we can find it in several different grocery stores, as well as in BJ's.

Also the pre-made Crystal Light (not the powder) is made with Splenda. So you can also drink that as well.

LilaCotton
Sat, Oct-25-03, 12:02
Ooh, Stephen, sounds like maybe the caramel color? If 'dark' pops make you sick to your stomach, likely as not that's what it is. I know several people who have that problem, and it stinks, too, because all of Diet Rite's flavors have caramel coloring in them! :(

Hopefully you'll be able to find something, or even make your own Splenda-sweetened drinks. :) There's an article in the media section here about how some of the pop companies are in the testing phase of Splenda-izing some of their pops. The makers of Diet Rite are also considering switching from Nutra-Sweet to Splenda in their other pops (ie: 7-up & Dr. Pepper). I think it would be great if more of them got with the program.

M900
Sat, Oct-25-03, 12:16
Diet Hansen's soda is made with splenda and is really good tasting in many flavors

korry1977
Sat, Oct-25-03, 12:31
I enjoy drinking Fruit2-0...

good stuff...

had a cafe latte with half-and-half and sweet-n-low...

yummy! (watch out for the carb count, however)

StephenS
Sat, Oct-25-03, 13:13
Thanks guys. I tihnk ill go buy me some Fruit-2-0

Athena123
Sat, Oct-25-03, 14:38
I make my own "soda" using plain seltzer water and about an ounce of sugar free da vinci's. You can also add a splash of heavy cream to the seltzer and sf syrup to make an italian soda- yum! I also drink the diet rite soda's sometimes, but they're very sweet in my opinion. I'll usually mix 2/3 diet rite with 1/3 plain seltzer to lessen the sweetness.

mkjulian
Sat, Oct-25-03, 14:39
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] :Party: I was so happy when I found Fruit 2 0 but had to look at it twice.. at first I thought it said sucrose and freaked, but it said sucrolose lol! I drink the DR cola, its pretty tasty! I had a friend tell me to mix that with heavy cream and it tastes like a coke float

Petey
Sun, Oct-26-03, 06:03
There's a company called "Clearfruit" that has just extended there line with "Clearfruit Light" flavored waters with 0 carbs and made with sucralose. link to this website to see what it looks like:
http://www.everfreshjuice.com/clearfruit.html

Kathy54
Sun, Oct-26-03, 09:59
On a very rare occassion, I'll use the single packs of Crystal light, added to a glass of cold water, but not the whole pack just 1/3, if that, just to give a bit of a flavour.

Kathy

Swoozie
Sun, Oct-26-03, 17:28
I've been drinking Nestea instant ice tea mix...sugar free, one glass has one carb, I've been drinking it the entire time without any issues or weight loss stalls, I was never eating enough carbs (20) so I used this as a filler as well...

CindySue48
Sun, Oct-26-03, 17:51
Hi.....I just tried the Fruit2- O and thought it was pretty good. I'm getting a little tired of the plain water.....but I also have to be careful of AS or I'll get cravings and an upset belly.

My problem is hot or warm drinks. I've been drinking plain tea with a few drops of milk, but I get tired of it and want something else.

I HATE herbal teas!!!! I've tried green tea, orange, apple, earl grey (used to like that, now...ick)....you name it, I've tried it. I've bought several samplers and we have it in work (flavors vary with each delivery), and I've tried them all.

The problem is, well, actually there are 2 problems.

My office is freezing! I wear a heavy sweater, and I'm thinking of bringing in a lap blanket. And when winter hits, it's only going to get worse! I drink very little cold water when it's cold like this, and can't drink water without ice, let alone at room temp, or I'll get nausea.

The second thing is I have trouble swallowing and must have a warm drink while I eat. I get a spasm in my throat that is relaxed with a warm drink, so it helps keep things moving....esp when I'm eating something cold, like salad.

Did I mention that I really really hate herbal teas??????

:help:

FromVA
Sun, Oct-26-03, 19:17
CindySue48: Have you tried PG Tips tea? You may have to look in the imported section of the grocery store as it comes from England, and unlike Twinings, is not packaged in the US. PG Tips is just plain tea leaves. You may have to work with getting the strength right...I used to drink mine quite a bit stronger when I used a lot of skim milk. It took me awhile to get the strength just right and PG is the only brand I can drink. Do miss my Twinings Earl Grey and Breakfast Tea (had it sent from England...not at all like the American version) though. I'm like you...the Earl Grey bergamont flavor is now so strong it gives me a headache to even smell it.

CindySue48
Sun, Oct-26-03, 20:09
Thanks! We have a Southern Season near work....I bet if anyone has it, they would!

I bet they have some earl grey and english breakfast shipped in too! Any brands you can recomend?

Oh! Thanks!!!!

My favorite is English Breakfast (the good stuff) brewed "properly", with sugar (a lot) and milk....yummmmm

FromVA
Sun, Oct-26-03, 21:15
Fortum & Mason is one I can think of right off hand. Their "shop" is in London almost across the street from the Royal Acadamy of Art. Haven't had their tea for a couple of years...I seem to remember I found it too strong. Don't waste you money on Herrod's brand if you can even find it. I bought a tin when I was in London and the "tea dust" was unbelieveable. If there is a lot of "tea dust" in a tea it is a sign of inferior tea. Twinings makes an Irish Breakfast tea I like, but again, I have to have it shipped from England. Try going to the BBCAmerica web site. I know they sell a lot of English "groceries" and PG Tips can be ordered online. A few English ladies I met preferred a grocery brand called Sainsbury's, but I found it too weak. I think finding a tea you like is similar to finding a coffee brand, in that you have to try a lot of brands at different strengths before you find what you like. And there are so many varieties of tea leaves, as well. Oolong is a tea that should be had with no milk or sugar but it is somewhat expensive. There are lots of books on tea out there...how to make it, the different varieties and the flavors, which is determined by the altitude and countries they are grown in and that, in turn, determines the flavor. The most expensive are the leaves that are at the very tip of the bush at higher altitudes. It is an interesting subject if you like tea. I, too, loved hot tea with milk and sugar...a no-no on Atkins, and I miss it more than the half&half in my coffee.

CindySue48
Sun, Oct-26-03, 22:53
I do have a couple of drops of milk....not much, just a bit....maybe a tablespoon per cup?

I lost the sugar, but I can't loose both!

My ex threw out all my tea making stuff, so I have to go out and get more....but I love brewed tea....so I don't care!

I am definitly going by Southern Seasons and I'll check out the web site you mentioned....payday is Tuesday!

Thanks so much!

CindySue48
Sun, Oct-26-03, 23:02
They only have a few on the BBCAmerica site....Taylor's of Harrogate? Typhoo? Taylor's? which would you recomend? :lol:

I prefer loose tea, but tea bags will do well too!

FromVA
Mon, Oct-27-03, 05:43
CindySue48: Went to the BBCAmerica Site to check it out and I think Taylor's must be pretty good if they sell such a variety. If it didn't sell well they wouldn't post it to the site I wouldn't think. Have you ever tried Darjeeling? It is another one you don't add milk or sugar to and I think I am going to try it again now that I have given up the milk and sugar. We are getting into the "Christmas Shopping Season" now and I would recommend going to some of the speciality coffee/tea shops in malls and checking out their gift packages that have a variety. Back many, many years ago, Lipton Tea had a gourmet type of catalog that sold the really good teas and antique sliver pots and all kinds of things and I don't know if they still do. You never saw any of this tea in a store that I am aware of...it was strictly catalog sales. Check out the Darjeeling and others and when you find something you like, then order it from the BBC if you consider this a treat for yourself. Be aware that teas, like coffee, vary from brand to brand. OBTW: PG Tips and Typoo are your plain Jane, make 5 pots a day teas.

Ronatola
Tue, Oct-28-03, 07:35
I thought I could only drink decaffinated tea - is that correct? I'm in Atkins induction.
Also, someone mentioned that they use Nestea mix, but I think that it contains aspertame.

FromVA
Tue, Oct-28-03, 07:50
That's right. But to be honest, I never was able to eliminate it entirely because I was so exhausted all the time. I was a HUGE diet Coke consumer and I eliminated that but still had two cups of coffee in the morning to get myself going. I weaned myself off the half&half in the coffee, but I can't get through the day without a cup of tea...or two, in the afternoon.

Ronatola
Tue, Oct-28-03, 10:14
I have noticed carbonated flavoured water with 0 carbs while shopping and got really excited! Then I noticed it contained aspertame. Is it really that bad to drink it? Or can I guiltlessly indulge?

CindySue48
Tue, Oct-28-03, 11:04
You pretty much have to look at all the labels. Some contain Splenda, others aspartame.

I avoid both, but of the two I'd take the one with Splenda.

As for caffeine....there are studies that indicate caffeine can help increase your metabolisme....look at all the "stacker" type drugs...they all contain caffeine.
I tried toget off it because of palpitations....but found no difference, so I drink my tea as I want.