PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here :)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

RobinBeBe
Fri, Oct-24-03, 19:55
Hi all

I just started PP yesterday. This is my first time low-carbing. I have been on various programs in the past, mainly WW, and lately, Body for Life/Body Rx. This WOE is taking me a bit to get used to.....I am having a hard time mentally getting used to being able to eat more fat, and not automatically going for the low-fat version. Plus getting used to counting my carbs!!!

A couple of questions..... do you count breading on shrimp/chicken as carbs? The carb counter book I have lists all proteins with no carbs at all (it is the PP one). Yet in fitday they do. Do I count them, and why does the book not bother?

Do I really not need to worry about how many calories I eat? Yesterday, I ate 2500 calories, most of them from fat. My protein requirement is 90 a day, and I ate 125, and 34 carbs.

Thanks for your help!

Robin

LilaCotton
Fri, Oct-24-03, 22:48
Hi, Robin and welcome! :)

I don't know much about Protein Power, but what I'll say just comes from the general LCing methods.

Breading on shrimp, chicken, etc., is something you really want to watch. I have a box of that oh-so-healthy breaded Gorton's fish in my freezer (bought it the month before I started LCing) and I was absolutely appalled when I looked at the package and it had something like 24 carbs for two pieces! I don't have any idea how many carbs you're allowed, but I do know all of the LC plans try to focus on getting our carbs from whole foods (fresh veggies, salads, berries, nuts, etc.) rather than empty carbs, like vitamin-deficient breadings and things like that.

Hopefully someone with more Protein Power experience will come along and be able to answer your questions a LOT better than I can! :)

LittleAnne
Sun, Oct-26-03, 02:51
Hi Robin

I'm afraid breading on anything is a no no :nono: The breading is pure carbs.

I've read PP. Pure protein has no carbs, so eat the shrimp and chicken without any coating at all.

Eating 2,500 calories is about right for your current weight. As a guide we recommend that you eat between 10 -12 times your body weight in calories. It does not matter that they mainly come from fat as that is what you are now using for fuel.

Every success.

RobinBeBe
Sun, Oct-26-03, 09:24
Thanks for the tips!! I was very worried about my fat/calorie intake. I will try not to stress so much about that.

I record my food in fitday, and it does show carbs in shrimp, and eggs, and cheese. Do I just take them out of my carb count?

Robin

sasquatch
Sun, Oct-26-03, 16:58
As a guide we recommend that you eat between 10 -12 times your body weight in calories. It does not matter that they mainly come from fat as that is what you are now using for fuel.

OUCH!!!!!!!!! :exclm:

Is there an upper limit on that?

sasquatch
Sat, Nov-01-03, 14:16
???????

Lisa N
Sat, Nov-01-03, 14:44
Hi Rob!

That 10x your body weight in calories doesn't work for everyone. If you are very much over your ideal weight, it may be too many. What I would suggest you do is calculate your BMR and never go below that. BMR is the amount of calories you burn just sitting there breathing, digesting, keeping your heart beating, etc... and does not include any activity that you have during the day.
When you go below what your BMR is, your body will sense that it is starving and start to adjust your metabolism downwards to help you survive.
What I generally do is take 10x my goal weight at the amount of calories I shouldn't go below and 10x my current weight as the amount that I shouldn't go above and try to stay somewhere in the middle; right now that's around 1,500 calories per day for me. I know that for myself, if I go over 2,000 calories per day I don't lose but everyone is different. I've seen people report losing on as many as 3,500 calories per day.
The main thing is to make sure that you aren't eating too little.

sasquatch
Sat, Nov-01-03, 14:53
Ahhh, OK that makes ALOT more sense!!! :clap:
That IS where I usually end up :thup:
Thanks