PDA

View Full Version : is cheese bad?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

oohjo
Thu, Oct-23-03, 20:33
:nono:

So my husband keeps telling me that processed cheese is bad for the atkins diet, but in the back of the book it says that 1 slice american cheese is only .3 digestable carbs. does that go for kraft american cheese slices or is that different because it's processed? do i have to buy the 'real' thing?

LilaCotton
Thu, Oct-23-03, 23:59
I'm always careful with processed cheeses, because you never know just what's in them. Check the ingredients. If you see a bunch of partially hydrogenated oils and such, don't buy them. It's always best, whenever possible to stick with the real deal. :)

NickFender
Fri, Oct-24-03, 10:37
Atkins is pretty clear that processed cheese is not allowed. Stick to real cheese to avoid those nasty trans fats.

potatofree
Fri, Oct-24-03, 11:47
The real thing.."processed cheese food" is stuffed full of things you don't want, including sugars and/or starces in some brands, trans fats....given a choice, the least-processed option is always better.

rozezone
Fri, Oct-24-03, 12:59
You can still get american cheese that's unprocessed! Check out the deli counter, it's often onsale too! Land o lakes makes it, I think that's a safe bet.

Ronatola
Fri, Oct-24-03, 13:13
What about 'STRING' cheese?

Ohio Kim
Fri, Oct-24-03, 13:43
I'm not sure about string cheese. But I love it and eat it all the time and it doesn't seem to be hurting a thing.

rozezone
Fri, Oct-24-03, 14:11
I eat string cheese almost every day :) I think it's just fine.

NickFender
Fri, Oct-24-03, 14:27
The ingredient list on my string cheese is OK; no sugar, no trans fats, just the usual cheese stuff.