PDA

View Full Version : Extra veggies if carbs left to spare????

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ssibtain
Thu, Oct-23-03, 20:24
Hi all, still new to this!!!! During Induction, I can have up to 20 grams of carbs. If I'm at 11grams and already had a cup of broccoli (per rules of Induction), could I have another one since I'm not yet at 20 grams for the day? Also...is it a good idea to have the entire twenty grams of carbs, or is it okay if you only reached, say, 10-12 carbs for the day? Thanks!!!!!!!!!

jessieeve
Thu, Oct-23-03, 20:26
It is good to have the 20 carbs to keep from craving the dreaded refined carbs//////// Also good for fiber ( ie ruffage)

potatofree
Fri, Oct-24-03, 11:55
Yes, have the veggies. Your 20 grams of carbs per day should come from your veggies..be aware also that cheese, cream, eggs, etc. also contribute carbs to that total. And yes, it's best to get as close to the 20 as possible.

watersidhe
Sat, Oct-25-03, 22:47
An extra serving or two might be okay, but remember that on induction you want to keep your fat intake at around 70%, and you also want to keep your calories to 10-12 times your body weight. A big part of the reason veggies are controlled on induction is that you will go into starvation mode if they are over-eaten.
As long as you keeping those two things in consideration, though, it should be absolutely fine.

ssibtain
Sat, Oct-25-03, 23:15
I don't understand how that can be. I weigh 200 lbs. That would mean I should consume 2,000 calories? Aren't I trying to lose weight? Also, that would mean trying to force myself to eat more than I can. I'm not sure how that works.

LilaCotton
Sun, Oct-26-03, 00:53
You don't HAVE to consume 2,000 calories a day if you're just not hungry. When I first started Induction I was eating between 1500-1700 per day, which just felt good to me. I'm not sure if that slowed down my losing, but I've been upping my calories by a couple hundred a day the past few days to see if that will get my body back into lose mode. It may or may not work, who knows?

Anyway, if you've set up an account at http://www.fitday.com you can find out about how many calories you're burning each day. You can also add any exercise you do which will up your calorie burn by quite a bit. You might be surprised (I know I was) to see just how many calories you can actually consume. The amount of calories I burn is estimated at about 3,000 calories. My basal is 1700, so that's what I was trying to go by for my calorie intake.