PDA

View Full Version : Atkins and Fit Day...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lissy007
Tue, Oct-21-03, 15:00
I notice a lot of people are using Fit Day to keep up with their fat, carbs etc. But Fitday counts all of your carbs not just your net carbs. So, does everyone count all their carbs or just their net carbs? If you count Net carbs only, how do you use Fidtday? I'm a totally confused newbie on day two of induction!!

TIA,
Melissa

Rosebud
Tue, Oct-21-03, 15:16
Hi Melissa, welcome! :wave:

Net carbs are all we need to count, and I believe that is what most of us do.
All you have to do is simply subtract the fibre carbs from the total and you are left with your net carbs for the day. :)

Cheers.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

AzureMoon
Tue, Oct-21-03, 15:45
Fitday lists the amounts for carbs, fiber, fat etc in a nice little table at the top of the food page. As Rosebud stated, just subtract fiber grams from carbs and there are your net carbs. The table is also useful to tell at a glance if you are getting enough fat grams in your diet. (Isn't it wonderful to be able to say that?)

Good luck, Melissa!

lissy007
Tue, Oct-21-03, 18:03
Thanks guys. Subtracting the fiber makes sense, I should have thought of it myself! I do love how Fitday keeps up with everything. End of day two and ready for day three..

Melissa

24fan
Wed, Oct-22-03, 16:31
Hey all,
I am now on Atkins for second time in 5 years.... First time in 98, I was able to lose about 40 lbs in 6 months, but working out 5 days a week. This time, my older bones don't want to let me do the work-outs.... I also have more weight to lose this time..... I started at 190 and am down to 175 right now. Hope to lose another 40 so I'm right back at my starting point from 5 years ago.... My question is regarding some new products. We didn't have all the low-carb bars and drinks and such the first time around.... I have noticed some bars called "CarbWatchers". They indicated 0g Net Impact Carbs on the front of the packaging but on the back, it lists 7 g. total carbohydrate and 0g Fiber... It also has a little "special area" that shows: total carbs: 7g, Sugar Alcohols: 7g, Fiber: 0g, NET IMPACT CARBS: 0g. What the heck does this mean???? Am I to assume that this is actually 0 grams of carbs and I would eat these things all day long with no repercussions????? Thanks for the help.

AzureMoon
Wed, Oct-22-03, 19:11
Hi and welcome, 24fan. It depends on how your body treats the sugar alcohols. They stall some folks, others they don't bother at all. But dang near everybody has the same problem if they eat too much of the sugar alcohols in one sitting: they act like a laxative if you eat too much and you can end up camped out in the john for hours.

You'd be much better off eating the real foods. Save the bars and stuff like that for emergencies (such as no time for breakfast at home or a lunch on the run.)

Congratulations on losing the first 15 pounds! You're doing great! Keep it up. :D

thin2win
Sun, Oct-26-03, 10:29
I have been using fitday and what I do Is create a custom food using the site and just enter the net carbs... sometime you have to remove the fiber value from the table. But if you are doing atkins, all you are really concerned about is the impact carbs anyway. If there is not a food listed ie.... Atkins products, just enter the information from the label. Again, you must just enter the net impact carbs, otherwise your carb count for the day will give a heart attack!! :lol:

CindySue48
Sun, Oct-26-03, 11:27
The thing I like about the custom foods is finding the hidden carbs!

May times I've entered the foods just like on the label, then Fitday tells me the calories dont' add up.....increase the carbs by the amount of fiber, and lo and behold, the numbers add up.

We really need to get manuf to specify if "carbs" includes the fiber or not!