PDA

View Full Version : Entering Splenda into Fitday

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lunarsola
Tue, Oct-21-03, 14:08
Oy, this fitday is confusing! Can someone please tell me how to enter 1 tsp of Splenda into the custom foods option using Fitday? I've attempted to enter the info from my box of Splenda into Fitday, but Fitday doesn't accept what I've entered. Am I just going to have to mentally remember to add my Splenda intake to my Fitday calculations?

Thank you for your help. :confused:

bcadieux
Tue, Oct-21-03, 14:14
I've had the same problem. I hope someone knows

AzureMoon
Tue, Oct-21-03, 14:33
Did you enter Splenda as a Custom Food?

Do a search for aspartame. When it comes up, click the button on the far right for Customize this food. Change the name to Splenda and any of the other information. Click the button at the bottom "Save this ...". That should enter it into your food list and will forever be available in your custom food list (fourth droplist down).

I've found you need to set your serving size before clicking customize or you'll end up entering the data for the wrong serving size.

Hope this helps. Fitday is fairly easy (had to stop myself from saying "a piece of cake" :eek: ) once you get used to it!

Happy LC'ing!

lunarsola
Tue, Oct-21-03, 14:42
Did you enter Splenda as a Custom Food?

Do a search for aspartame. When it comes up, click the button on the far right for Customize this food. Change the name to Splenda and any of the other information. Click the button at the bottom "Save this ...". That should enter it into your food list and will forever be available in your custom food list (fourth droplist down).

AzureMoon:

Thank you for your help!

I did try entering Splenda as a custom food and I get this message: "The number of Calories in the food does not match with the amount of fat, carbs, and protein. There should be about 4 Calories. Cals = fat X 9 + (carb - fiber) X 4 + protein X 4 + alcohol X 7"

Splenda has 0 calories, 0 fat, 0 sodium, less than 1 gm carbs, 0 protein. That's it. That is all that is listed on the box.

I took your suggestion regarding aspartame. I customized it and input all the Splenda info. I got the same message from Fitday as above. Erg.

Donna (other than this Splenda SNAFU, and their odd units of measure on some things, I really do find Fitday a help)

jesdorka
Tue, Oct-21-03, 14:59
my box of splenda says, 1tsp=calories (energy) 2, protein 0, fat 0, and carbohydtate 0.5g.
i entered this in custom foods in fitday and it worked fine, then i also entered the info off the packets
1pkt=4calories,protein0,fat0 and carbohydrate 1g, this worked fine as well

hth

lunarsola
Tue, Oct-21-03, 15:04
Jesdorka: That is so weird! I have my box right here in front of me and it says 0 calories, less than 1 gm carbs. Must be a geographical thing. :) Well, what I will do is use your measurements.

Thank you for your help!

Donna

jesdorka
Tue, Oct-21-03, 15:21
donna
it is USA labelling vs Canadian labelling, i know there are differences in the way it is done in the 2 countries

jes

AzureMoon
Tue, Oct-21-03, 15:36
lunarsola, sometimes you have to monkey around with values to get fitday to accept thiings. Things that have sugar alcohols are a pain because there is no where to enter those. So I usually lump those values in with Fiber -- they both get subtracted from carbs (at least for me.)

Good luck with it.

Skamito
Tue, Oct-21-03, 23:24
1 cup of Splenda is 90 calories and 24g of carbs. Anything under 5 calories can legally be labeled as zero, that's why there is confusion. 1 teaspoon equals 1.88 calories and 0.5g carbs.

Hope that helps.