PDA

View Full Version : Dry Mouth??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

shawnamawn
Tue, Oct-21-03, 06:37
Hi, I'm new to the low carb dieting, and I've been on it since Oct. 1st. I've noticed that no matter how much water I drink, my mouth stays really dry. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions on what to do about it??

saymeng
Tue, Oct-21-03, 06:44
Hi, I'm new to the low carb dieting, and I've been on it since Oct. 1st. I've noticed that no matter how much water I drink, my mouth stays really dry. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions on what to do about it??

would be help full if you can tell us:

The quantity of water you are drinking daily

The type of food you are eating

and

how you drink your water. Correct way is to spread it throughout the day and drink slowly. :agree:

MaryToU
Tue, Oct-21-03, 11:07
Also this could be a sign of ketosis.

I always thought it was funny when I didn't drink all that much water a day, I was never thirsty. BUT once you start drinking it, you seem to be thirsty all the time!

Anyway, the longer you are on the plan, the less you will notice this. Just keep chugging away at the water. Its the best thing for you.

Ohio Kim
Tue, Oct-21-03, 12:36
I too have a dry taste in my mouth most of the time. I believe it is a sign of Ketosis and I like to think of it as my body's help with getting me to drink my required water daily.

Isiar
Wed, Oct-22-03, 15:09
I too have the dry taste and I drink lots of water...I would like to know why that happen...
Isiar

BlondeGirl
Wed, Oct-22-03, 20:23
I drink 1 gallon of water per day (i buy a one gallon container of crystal geyser and drink straight from the bottle...sad, i know) and try my best to spread it throughout the day, though i tend to find that i end up trying to drink the last 1/2 gallon or so after 6pm. i just get busy and sort of "forget" to drink, even though i remain thirsty. in a perfect world i could wear my camel back at work and always have the water right where i am, but, alas, my world is not such a beautiful place. anyway, my mouth tends to remain dry and i have that cotton mouth feeling as well, though it is much more noticable toward the end of the day. i just chalk it up to my body getting used to the water consumption and challanging me to give it a bit more. now if only my body would get used to the amount and stop making me have to pee every few minutes. does anyone have any idea how long this process (acclimating oneself to a high quantity of water so as not to feel the urge to urinate all. the. time.) takes?

updown
Wed, Oct-22-03, 20:35
I've experienced the same thing. I also keep a glass of water for in the night or first thing in the morning. Although, I notice that in the first part of the day I have to sip water, but at night or late aft. I can drink glass after glass. :confused:

m1whowaits
Thu, Oct-23-03, 11:06
I wish Dr. Atkins would have expounded on this point more than the brief mention he gave it. Many people have a candida albicans overgrowth and may not have symptoms, or do and don't connect it to the candida. It is the bacteria that give women "yeast infections". Truth is it lives all over within us, men and women. And like any good yeast it loves the carbs!! When you go low carb, you starve it and it dies off. Feeling fluish when you know you don't have the flu is a sign it's dying off, so is the cotton mouth. Continuing with your diet (sorry) new WOE and takinging a supplement to aid in killing it off (they are many and a good candida thread is here too!) are the best things to do. I had a fairly nasty case and the cottonmouth was horrid. Whenever I start to get the dry mouth I drink more water and take GSE. In a day or two it's gone. Good Luck to us all!!

ellen4621
Sun, Oct-26-03, 22:53
m1....what is GSE?

I, too, have had a HUGE problem w/ dry mouth. I checked the Candida threads awhile ago, took a couple of the tests and, yup, I have a "possibility" of having a Candida overgrowth (coated tongue, anyone?!) I've (unfortunately) gotten into the habit of sucking on SF candies whenever I'm out and about (and there's no water in sight!), but I know that even the AS in them is NOT a good thing for someone w/ Candida overgrowth (but after having my DH tell me NUMEROUS times that my breath is, well, foul.......)

I've been wanting to try some probiotics but funds are short right now. That's why I'm curious about the GSE....and any other suggestions! :)

"There are no elevators to success.....you have to take the stairs!"

meows
Mon, Oct-27-03, 08:21
Wow, very interesting....today's my 7th day on Atkins, I'm drinking lots and lots of water, and if I stop to go to the store or other errands, I find my mouth is very dry and I'm thirsty too. I also wake in the middle of the night and in the morning with a completely dry/cotton mouth-it's gross! I've also been feeling sickly (like mentioned above...flu-like) and have other signs of withdrawal. I feel like a detoxing drug addict or something-I never imagined feeling like this, but I'm told it's a good sign. Hopefully my hubby can put up with my crabbiness/symptoms (on verge of my monthly on top of that, hehe). God bless him!

Thanks for the info :wiggle:

bonesigh
Tue, Feb-10-04, 10:20
I've been having a dry mouth and feeling thirsty since I've started Atkins (5 days ago). I drink at least 90oz of water throughout the day. I think I should up my water intake. Or perhaps it could be candida. I'll check around for candida threads.

Thanks!
Mike

Mystique
Tue, Feb-10-04, 10:32
If you want to spead up the process of killing the yeast, Oil of Oregano will attack it. Don't take those drops straight though... STRONG!

adukart
Tue, Feb-10-04, 11:20
The dry mouth could also be caused by medications if you are taking any.

ellen4621
Mon, Feb-23-04, 21:36
Question for Mystique....regarding the Oil of Oregano....if you don't take/use the drops directly, how DO you use/take it?? And, other than the Internet, where could I find some? Thanks for your help w/ this!

tara&sam
Wed, Feb-25-04, 16:10
Probably put the drops in water.. not sure though :).
I don't spread out my water very well.. usually about 1L during the day, 1L in the hour before bed, and .3L right when I wake up... most of the time my mouth isn't bad... in the morning it's just awful. that's why i started drinking all that water before bed.. doesn't help though, just makes me get up every night to go pee. hopefully this horrible morning feeling will go away.. it's like waking up with a hangover every day!!

ndhulst
Wed, Feb-25-04, 22:59
It will go away!! one day you will wake and think.,,hey I feel great today !lol my hubby thought I would never get through the withdrawals ( I guess i was pretty bad hehe)

Interesting about the candida strand...I just started oil of oreganol...and was so dry mouthed today thought I was coming down with sore thraot!! but now I know Im doing just what I need to do as I am also on a anti-fungal diet!! hehe so goodbye yeast!!!!!!!!!!!! Hello health!!