PDA

View Full Version : Pilates

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

cupiedoll
Tue, Jul-31-01, 14:52
Well, I have decided to get on the boat and join the biggest fitness crazy of the year (at least in the UK). My introductory course starts at the end of August. Anyone tried this? I love doing callanetics, but I get tired of doing it by myself at home and really need a group to get myself motivated. I'm hoping that Pilates will be similar.

fern2340
Thu, Aug-02-01, 09:08
Hey cupiedoll!
I have never tried Pilates and I was curious to learn more about it so I found this article. Hope this gives you some more info about it!!

Catch the Pilates Buzz

BY LIZ NEPORENT

If you've been checking out the fitness scene lately, you've probably heard the buzz on Pilates. Although it sounds like one of those $5 coffee drinks they sell at Starbucks, it is in fact a highly sophisticated exercise form. Is this the sort of thing you should try?

What is it? It's an exercise technique invented for injured dancers about a century ago by ex-carpenter and gymnast Joseph Pilates. There are two ways to practice Pilates (pronounced pih-LAH-tees). You can take a group class on a mat where you'll do specialized calisthenics exercises, or you can take private lessons on a series of specially designed machines with such exotic names as the Cadillac and the Reformer. Whether you take the mat class or use the machines, all Pilates moves are designed to work your powerhouse muscles -- abs, lower back, thighs, and buttocks -- and to teach you proper alignment so you move more freely and gracefully.

Why we love it: Pilates incorporates so much of what today's exercisers need. It increases strength, flexibility and endurance and improves posture, alignment, coordination and balance -- all without building bulky muscles. Nothing is forced or repetitive; you emphasize correct form rather than going for the burn.

Drawbacks: It's expensive. Private lessons will set you back $40 to $200 a session. By comparison, mat classes are a bargain, running $12 to $25 a class, depending on the instructor or the part of the country you're in. Many gyms offer classes to members at no additional charge and private instruction at a discount. If you like to master things quickly, this may not be the workout for you. Like dance, yoga and martial arts, learning Pilates is a long-term, evolutionary process

Insider information: It doesn't have to be named Pilates to be Pilates. Because of trademark issues, many instructors have chosen to rename their workouts even though the basic elements remain the same. Two Pilates-inspired workouts we love: Jennifer Kries's the Method and IM=X.

Hot tip: Can't find a class near you? Check out The Method video series starring Jennifer Kries. It's the next best thing to having an instructor standing beside you.

Sample Move: This curl and lift move is a foundational exercise in any Pilates-inspired workout.
Lie on your back with your knees bent, legs pressed together and feet flat on the floor, hip width apart.
Pull your abs into your spine and hold your arms out straight at your sides and slightly off the floor.
Moving slowly, curl upward until your chest touches your knees: first lift your head off the floor, then your shoulder blades, then one vertebra at a time. If necessary, assist yourself by holding onto the back of your thighs.
Sit up tall at the top of the movement then round your back and lower with control.

tsalinas75
Fri, Aug-08-03, 22:01
I just started doing pilates this week and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them...I actually cant wait until I can do them again..thats how much I enjoy them..and I feel so relaxed after my workout...Its the best workout program I have ever had..Tamara

randisue
Thu, Aug-14-03, 07:38
I'm unemployed currently: what's the cheapest, but good, pilates video I can get my hands on???

hramsey76
Thu, Aug-14-03, 14:40
I work out to a Denise Austin, Pilates for Everybody, its like doing a bunch of stretches but you sure do feel it the next day. I payed 12.00 bucks for it.

colinjn
Thu, Aug-14-03, 14:47
I bought the Pilates for Dummies DVD from amazon after looking at all the reviews. I like the DVD version because I can control each segment. In the beginning it was very difficult for me to get through even a couple exercises ( CFS/ME) and this way I could pause each exercise and work up to the full routine. It is a lot easier than VHS but a bit more expensive.

Colin