PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if im doing everything right for Induction on Atkins.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Aristotle
Fri, Oct-17-03, 00:32
Im a soph in High School and was wondering if what im doing is correct considering im in Induction for Atkins...

Breakfast:
1 or 2 eggs and either bacon or sausage

Luch:
Precooked Chicken from Costco. Or hamburgers with cheese, and sometimes bacon hotdogs.

Dinner:
Steak, Salmon, Chicken...etc

To me that is more or less cut and dry. What worries me is what I eat on the side...

Pork Rinds, not sure if these are good or bad for atkins.

Low Carb Bars, usually around 3 net carbs per.

Soda: Sugarless, Caffeineless. No sodium. The label reads identicle to water.

Misc Questions:
1. How early before bed should we stop eating?
2. Is this diet worthless if you eat less then 20 carbs but more then your fill?

Thats all I can think of. Thanks for your help!

Tashi
Fri, Oct-17-03, 01:15
Good for you Aristotle for taking control, stick with it and just imagine how you will look and feel when you graduate.

...But you have to make sure you eat enough and get the proper balance.

So here is my review:

Breakfast: Is good but, eat 2 eggs instead of just one,I just think it is a good idea, because your still young and your days are very full in school.---Also, you should grab 1 or 2 snacks for school because eating more small meals throughout the day is better for you and will help to increase your metabolism. (digestion is a very high energy activity)

Snack Ideas: String Cheese, celery sticks, (macademia nuts, almonds, walnuts, after induction), and occasionally pork rinds- they are ok as far as eating on atkins, but in some people it does trigger the appetite, it has alot of sodium, so drink lots of water. -- And any other legal food that suits you. Also, low carb bars on occasion- don't get addicted, they do tend to stall some people and it is also a big no no on induction.

Lunch: Lunch is fine, but add some veggies- maybe a salad.

Dinner: Same here, its good, but you have to add vegetables, just don't do strictly protein, you must add fat and try to get most of your carbs from veggies. To get the fat, add butter or olive oil with your veggies or eggs or salads. You can saute most any vegetable with it and it will turn out delicious every time.

Water! Water! Water!- All day

On your questions- At least a couple of hours- you at least have to digest, not good to go to sleep right after eating.
And yes you should try to get at least 20 carbs, but this is easily done if you just add those veggies.

You will get the hang of it in no time, and once you do, it will seem pretty easy.

Good Luck and Best Wishes,

Tashi :wiggle:

.........I had some time on my hands and wanted to be helpful...hope I was.

Kristine
Fri, Oct-17-03, 08:31
Hiya! Welcome. :wave:

Did you notice that we have a Students and Teens (
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=120) forum? Pop on in!

Tashi is right on. Have a gander at The Rules of Induction (http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-325810.html) as a refresher. The 3 cups of vegetables are non-negotiable. :exclm: You need the fiber, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. If there's nothing available at school, bug your parents to buy you some celery, salad, or whatever veggies you like. There are lots of veggie ideas in the Veggies and Side Dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44) forum.

Low carb bars are junk food and should be avoided at least during induction (if not forever. :rolleyes: ) You also need more water. Your teachers shouldn't mind if you have a water bottle with you during class. :thup: Just keep sipping at it and refilling it.

You're off to a good start! Keep up the good work! :thup:

Aristotle
Fri, Oct-17-03, 15:59
Thanks guys, your help is greatly appreciated!

StephenS
Sun, Oct-26-03, 23:05
I have to get for school at about 5:50am im a Junior in Highschool and I usally cant cook some eggs or something for breakfast right in the morning because im so tired...and its so dark outside early on that it feels like im gona head back to sleep,I usally sometimes just leave with a bottle of water and drink it on the way to school,and at school,all they serve for breakfast is nasty FATTY Bagels,and thous UGLY Donuts,also Cereal Bars! Yuck!. is their like a quick get up and go breakfast with low carbs I can do (during Induction,Ive been in Induction for over 4 months,lol I just love Induction) or like,do I even need to eat breakfast? is it alright if I just take my vitamins in the morning as my "breakfast" please help me out here :/

twinkles10
Sun, Oct-26-03, 23:47
I'm going to tell you something you are not going to want to hear - you NEED YOUR BREAKFAST!!! You should keep lots of boiled eggs in the fridge; just grab two or three and eat and enjoy.

You could also have leftover meats (hamburger patties, pork chops, anything really). One of my journal friends has often had CHILI for breakfast - that's pretty hardcore, but if you could do that.....

I know LOTS of people who like leftover pizza for breakfast - you could make yourself a pseudo pizza with sliced mozzarella or provolone, add a dab of sugar free pizza sauce and top with pepperoni, canadian bacon, whatever meat you like. Nuke it (on a plate!) in the microwave until the cheese is how you like it (bubbly or whatever) and enjoy (I have to eat this with a spoon, but it is seriously yummy).

You could make ham roll-ups (thin sliced deli ham with cream cheese spread on it, then roll it up). You could make these the night before and grab...

Need more ideas??

LilaCotton
Mon, Oct-27-03, 00:09
Yes, Stephen, you need that breakfast! I'm a real big breakfast avoider and so is my hubby. He usually grabs a small snack before work, then has something else he can eat around 10 a.m., when his stomach is ready for food.

I have a bit harder time. I wake up and I'm ravenous before my stomach's ready to eat! LOL So now I've got to eat, whether I want to or not. Ugh! ;)

StephenS
Mon, Oct-27-03, 16:57
ok now I need to eat breakfast,I know that. so thanks guys,Ill just stack some hard boiled eggs in the fridge the night before so I grab some in the morning

thanks again.