PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

rhonda_kay
Mon, Jul-30-01, 19:25
Hi All,

I'm new to this board and have been on Atkins for 4 weeks now. I've lost about 15 pounds and want to lose another 23. :)

I've been participating on another low-carb forum and met someone who really needs help.

Does anyone know where there might be a listing of doctors that support low-carbing? This poor woman went to the doctor. She weighs 300 pounds and then got a dressing down from the doctor and the dietician about eating low-fat and crap.

She says she only eats about 1000 calories a day but when she tried to tell them that, they just looked at her like she was lying to them. She came out of the doctor's office crying.

Anyway, she came to our board asking for help. Anybody know how to find low-carb supportive doctors?

tamarian
Mon, Jul-30-01, 19:43
Hi Rhonda,

Welcome aboard. I don't think there is such a list :(

However, tell us which location or region she's in. Someone might know of good doctors in that region.

Wa'il

rhonda_kay
Mon, Jul-30-01, 21:47
Unfortunately, I don't know where this woman lives. She posted one time and I didn't feel I should ask that on a board, but I may go back and email her privately and see if she'll at least give me a general idea.

From her post, I gather she has to use the free clinics, which makes it harder. I don't know her insurance situation, but for something like this, I'd like to at least be able to point her in the right direction.

I'll see if I can find out more info.

debbiedobson
Tue, Jul-31-01, 12:34
hi rhonda and welcome aboard!:D congratulations on losing 15lb! that's terrific! i can't really help your friend, but i wish her success in finding a supportive doctor.

rhonda_kay
Tue, Jul-31-01, 16:10
Thank you very much. I hope the other lady doesn't give up. She just seemed so sad when she posted the other day.

NancyC
Tue, Jul-31-01, 17:33
I admire your empathy and willingness to help someone who is having such a rough time.

I'm certain the Atkins Institute could provide a list of practitioners.

There are doctors out there who do support LC... In fact, my family doctor was the one who suggested it to me after she diagnosed me with fibromylagia (the diagnosis is tentative... cut out refined sugar and flour and if my symptoms persist... well, they're all but gone). I can't wait to see her next month to show her my results so far!

rhonda_kay
Wed, Aug-01-01, 07:36
I did send an email to the Atkins Center, but they haven't written back yet. I really hope somebody there does write back.

I am even thinking of looking for a new doctor myself. My doc didn't come right out and say he was against low-carb, but he saw me reading the Atkins book and said, "I'm not sure that's the right diet for you since you really don't have that much to lose"

My thought (which I kept to myself) was that it wouldn't matter if I wanted to lose 1 pound or 100 pounds, this way of eating is just healthier.

I am sugar-free for the first time in my LIFE. I am no longer trying every diet pill and formula that comes across my desk. I am no longer taking any prescription drugs to suppress my appetite or block fat or whatever.

There is a list of doctors that attended a conference on low-carb on the Atkins Center website. It's sad how few of them there were.

Good Luck on your tests next month!!!