PDA

View Full Version : bread - carb-less breads?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

iteachca
Sun, Jul-15-01, 15:38
Does anyone know anything about "carb-less" breads? There is a company called Sugar Free Paradise that sells them. I wonder if they are worth sending for and what they taste like. One of the things I am really missing is bread to make sandwiches and such and thought that might be an option. Any feedback?

Donna

tamarian
Sun, Jul-15-01, 15:56
Hi Donna,

It's highly unlikely anyone has discovered carb-less bread. The lowest I've seen is 2 grams per slice, but it was for a recipe, not a retail item. Do you have a list of the ingredients? We can dissect it for you to show where they are hiding the carbs. :)

Wa'il

NNN
Sun, Jul-15-01, 19:15
Hi Donna
Wa'il has made some good bread I hear. I have not made it myself as I hate to cook these days, but I have heard good reports. ( I think it may be in the recipe section)
Also I have heard of people in the States ordering from that company. Mayvbe Bonnie will come on as she has spent some time in Florida. I do know that one lady sent away for some sweets there and they were mouldy when she got them so they gave her credit or something like that and no doubt they had carbs.
Norma

tamarian
Sun, Jul-15-01, 19:29
Originally posted by NNN
Hi Donna
Wa'il has made some good bread I hear. I have not made it myself as I hate to cook these days, but I have heard good reports. ( I think it may be in the recipe section)
Also I have heard of people in the States ordering from that company. Mayvbe Bonnie will come on as she has spent some time in Florida. I do know that one lady sent away for some sweets there and they were mouldy when she got them so they gave her credit or something like that and no doubt they had carbs.
Norma

Hehe, yes, my recipe is in the recipes section under "Shepherd's Loaf". It's great for none bread machine baking. For bread machines, Kay's "Final Bread" is also renowned by members using bread machines.

But none of them are carb-less. They're quite low though.

Wa'il

numberonewendy
Sun, Jul-15-01, 21:33
Just my 2 cents worth. I felt the need for sandwiches and found Doreen mentioning about romain lettuce. I now enjoy romaine lettuce with egg salad/tuna rolled in it...but then I was always a lover of wraps :)

My daughter loves the lettuce wraps too :D (just in case you have no time to make bread).

NNN
Mon, Jul-16-01, 04:17
Oh yes Wendy that is right . I forgot about the wraps. I also grate a plate of cheese and nuke it and use it with the lettuce wrap. Very tasty.
Norma

numberonewendy
Mon, Jul-16-01, 05:18
Oh yum yum, on the cheese, thanks for the tip :)

Bonnie
Mon, Jul-16-01, 06:02
Mayvbe Bonnie will come on as she has spent some time in Florida.

NNN and all, I have not seen any carbless breads...however Donna my advice to you is to try some of the great low carb bread recipes available here at the recipe link...I have been making LC Carb bread for over a year with great success... all other sugestions stated here are great ie lettuce wraps etc....you can buy the mixes like Keto etc. which can be costly afterawhile so why not try to perfect a home-made bread...many of us here on the board have done so and am sure would be glad to offer any advice to help...

:) Bonnie

iteachca
Mon, Jul-16-01, 10:44
First of all, I have seen the recipes section and they are great but I unfortunately do not have much time to bake. The carb-less breads that they advertise are, of course, not completely carb-less but have very few carbs.

Here is the Nutritional Information on one of them:

CARB-LESS BREAD
FIBER RICH DIET BREAD
TWO DAYS AIR SHIPPING ONLY
THE LOWEST CARBS BREAD AVAILABLE ON THE MARKET.
EACH LOAF CONTAINS 18-22 SLICES .
SERVING SIZE= 1 Oz = 2 SLICES
AFTER FIBER SUBTRACTION , 2.5 CARBS PER 1 SLICE

NO BLEACHES - CONDITIONERS OR PRESERVATIVES .
ALL ORGANIC INGREDIENTS! !
0 FAT 0 CHOLESTEROL
0 SUGAR - LOW SODIUM

Ingredients:
whole wheat flour - rye flour - wheat bran - oat fiber - wheat -gluten - soy bran - canola oil - salt - natural rye flour - soy flour - rye malt - malted barley flour - spices - malted barley extract - ascorbic acid - enzymes - water - poppy acid .

Nutrition Facts:
Serving size: 0.8818 oz (25g) = 1 slice
Serving per loaf 16 oz = 18 - 22 slices
Amount Per Serving:
Calories (kcal) 45
Total Fat less than 1g
Saturated Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 0.0mg
Sodium 95mg
*Carbohydrate 9g
*Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugars 0.0g
Protein 2.0g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0%
Iron 4%
Thiamin 2%
Riboflavin 2%
Niacon 2%
*subtract total fiber from total carb
(9g carbs - 5g fiber = 4g of carb per slice)

To all our customers, due to the summer months many of our customers will be traveling and taking vacations. If you would like us to ship your order to a new address, please allow up to 9 days for processing. We are accomodating extra special care to our packaging including an ice chest with ice. Two days air is necessary***.

Here is the link for the company's webpage:

http://www.sugarfreeparadise.com/Merchant/index.htm

Has anyone out there tried any of their products? I would love to have more time to cook and bake but am doing all I can right now. I just thought this would be a good way to have bread once in while and keep my carbs low. I have been using lettuce wraps - had bbq hamburgers last night and my son thought it was hilarious (oh well, he's only 5)!

:rolleyes:

tamarian
Mon, Jul-16-01, 11:16
Originally posted by iteachca

*subtract total fiber from total carb
(9g carbs - 5g fiber = 4g of carb per slice)

Oops! They are misleading in their lable, I think.

It is 9 grams of carb AFTER subtracting the fiber. Otherwise the calories don't add up according to our new hidden carbs calculator :)

Wa'il

iteachca
Mon, Jul-16-01, 12:35
I guess I don't understand. Don't you take carbs and subtract fiber as they state? That would leave 4 carbs or am I missing something? Please explain.

Donna

tamarian
Mon, Jul-16-01, 12:41
Sure, you can subtract fiber, but I think the 9grams stated is after subtracting the fiber. Fiber contains no caloreis, so the caloreis they list, 45, must come from either fat, protein or carbs, and it results in 9 grams of actual carbs. So if their are 4 grams of fiber, that means you have 13 grams of carbs minus 4 fiber = 9 grams of effective carb.

I think that's how it works with labels, any declared fiber is not counted in the calories.

Corrections any one?

Wa'il

tamarian
Mon, Jul-16-01, 23:57
I've done some research, and the answer is not clear yet. It seems manufacturers have a lot of room to play with in terms of counting fiber or not, and including it in caloreis or not.

I'm still looking into it, but if anyone has the right answer, please jump in. Biochemists on board? Where's DebDaCajun when you need her? :)

Wa'il

tamarian
Thu, Jul-19-01, 13:43
I have updated our hidden carbs calculator to adjust for cases when the manufacturer is subtracting fiber from carbs.

This still doesn't solve the problem completely, since manufacturer have room to be vague on wether the fiber was subtracted from barbs but not from calories or not. Since there's no standard, you'll never know! :(

Wa'il