PDA

View Full Version : IBS and fibre

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sharon
Tue, Oct-07-03, 16:01
I'm wondering for those who have IBS what's their best means of adding fibre to their diet. There are many ways, but I'm finding lowcarb ways harder. I'm really having a problem with salads.

Dasa
Tue, Oct-07-03, 16:06
I do not have IBS but also want to add extra fiber. I have been using sugar free Metamucsil. I found that this was approved on the Atkins website.

http://atkins.com/helpatkins/faqs/faqfiber/

Rosebud
Tue, Oct-07-03, 16:35
Psyllium! Psyllium is the main ingredient in Metamucil, too, but I figure why spend extra carbs. ;)

I technically don't have IBS. My doctors and I thought so, but I was diagnosed earlier this year with diverticulosis. :( However my partner does have IBS, and we both find that eating wheat in any form makes us worse. So wheat bran is out. :thdown:

I've actually found that I do best when I keep my fibre levels at about 10 to 15g daily. Too much more and I'll have problems. I know doctors always tell us to take more fibre for these type of problems, but I've come to realise that I am the person who knows best what to do for my bowel. :)

HTH!

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

Sharon
Tue, Oct-07-03, 19:31
Thanks for the advice....I am and have used an extra fibre supplement (LiFiber from Enrich).

For me, I feel best when I do keep my fibre grams up. I get severe pain when I don't. I think it all depends on each individual, like you said. I hate to add any extra carbs, that's why I was asking what others do. I know Atkins is a good way of eating with IBS, it's just the fibre factor that's a problem.

Thanks...appreciate any advice.