PDA

View Full Version : Zucchini Dill Relish (not sweet relish)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LilaCotton
Mon, Oct-06-03, 14:47
Not a vegetable dish, I know, but I couldn't find anywhere more appropriate to post this.

I've always made sweet relish, but the problem is, although the kids muched it down, I don't even like the stuff! But, I do like relish with my franks and with hamburger. So, I modified a sweet relish to non-sweet and it turned out absolutely yum!

Besides, who isn't generally over-run with zucchini during the summer months? Even if they don't raise a garden, nearly everyone I know has more zucchini than they know what to do with, so without further adieu...

Zucchini Dill Relish

10 cups grated zucchini
4 medium to large green peppers, chopped
2 cups chopped onion

Mix in large bowl and add half a cup of canning salt (or any salt without iodine).
Refrigerate overnight.
Drain liquid, then put in a large kettle and add the following:

3 Cups cider vinegar (don't use the cider-flavored vinegar because this will just ruin the flavor)
1/4 cup dill seeds/weed

Bring it to a boil, and let boil for 25 minutes.

Put into sterilized jars, seal and waterbath for 10 minutes (more depending on your altitude).

One batch makes roughly 6 pints of relish.

lynchmel
Mon, Jul-17-06, 11:56
Thank you. I have been looking for a relish for my zuchinni and summer squash.