PDA

View Full Version : Up 2 lbs, not panicking yet....

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

potatofree
Fri, Oct-03-03, 19:26
I understand it's normal when switching from Atkins to CAD to put on a little water weight, isn't it? I decided not to panic until Monday. (A totally random amount of time to give my body time to adjust..)

My SON is trying to adjust to the change.. since he's become accustomed to me not eating anything with sugar, he gets confused seeing me eat it now....<sigh> Luckily, instead of having to explain, I just distract him with another subject he can go off on..(He usually asks approx. 700 questions a day...)

Even if I do end up going back on Atkins, I've at least learned I really CAN have a treat now and then without worrying about it so much. A MAJOR help in breaking the food=guilt trap.

wendy858
Fri, Oct-03-03, 19:34
Hey Potatofree - I made the switch from Atkins to CAD about 3 weeks ago and I love it! I gained 3 pounds in the first week or so and I have only lost 2 of them, but this WOE is sooo worth it! Check my journal if you like and see my ups and downs.

Hang in there!

newcarbgir
Sat, Oct-04-03, 05:17
Same here. I put three pounds on when I came off Atkins three weeks ago, and am only just now getting back to where I was. But it's sooooooo worth it :yum: :lol:

Some of us are finding that drinking lots of water is getting those few water pounds back off again - have a look at my or Jacquie's journal for the outbreak of water frenzy :lol:

Welcome to this woe - I'm sure you're going to love it, especially when those couple of pounds disappear again and you're still eating all those great treats once a day :wiggle:

Vel
Sat, Oct-04-03, 08:10
Hi Potatofree!

I don't have much in the way of helpful advice, since I have never been through the switch, but I wanted to welcome you to CAD. I have seen quite a lot of folks switch and end up really loving CAD once they get the inital week or two out of the way. It is such an easy program to live with.

Good luck,
Tracy

tassierose
Sat, Oct-04-03, 08:39
Hi Potatofree,

Im six days in now, I have been dieting with this plan and that plan for months now, seems I change from week to week, as a matter of fact, I said to my hubby last week that I give up , the more I diet, the more I think about food, and the more I eat!!

Ive lost 2 pound in this 6 days, and thats wonderful because I dont feel like I am missing out on a thing. Even if I lose it slowly .. as long as I dont see my average weight going up I will be content, I can live like this fore a lifetime. Ive never felt like that before.

Oh, and my daughter is 20 and she STILL asks 700 questions a day :roll:

potatofree
Sat, Oct-04-03, 09:46
The book by Dr Phil is really helping me get the urge to eat when not physically hungry under control, so no matter which plan I'm on, I feel equipped to do better.

Unfortunately for me, the rm seems to make me want to lose control on the carbs... I've been pretty diligent in balancing the RM with veggies/salad, protein and to make most of my carbs "healthy" carbs, along with the occasional splurge, just because I CAN..lol.. but about an hour later, although I'm still bloated and stuffed-feeling, I get a strong urge to go after more sweets... this is a feeling I rarely had on Atkins. I think sugary treats are too much of a trigger for me.

I'm thinking that completely low-carb might be the best for me, but throwing in a "real" RM once in a while will be a nice addition.

IthinkIcan
Sat, Oct-04-03, 09:54
Lessee if I can put my stats on here correctly. I had to buy a new set of scales in the middle of all this, which #'s lost remain the same but gets confusing from the change over.

Atkins for 3 weeks - lost 17 lbs
4th week Atkins, gained 5 - 12lbs total loss
Went off everything 2 days gained 2 - total pre-cad loss 10lbs
Cad for 2 1/2 weeks - 12.5
Total so far is 22.5 all together

I figured at first I'd probably gain ...and expected it, prepared for it. But wonder if carbin out those 2 days made a difference before starting CAD? I am not sure if this makes a difference either for me compared to many, but I don't get a tom. So I don't have a water weight gain that I can pin down at least.

I'm looking to slow down any day now and actually since the start of week 3, I've yet to have another drop that has stuck ..yet.
I think it all....as they say comes out in the wash :)

The kids ... yea, its taken them a while to adjust to what I eat. I was feeling paranoid but now I just eat it and don't do any explaining.

IthinkIcan
Sat, Oct-04-03, 13:10
Grrrrr dh. After posting that ...wouldn't you know something happen to damper me a tiny bit. Dh was watching me pick out what to wear tonight (and I might add my skirt is almost too big and my top wouldn't have fit me a month ago), anyway ..he says, so how's the weight loss goin? How much total? I tell him, he said ...ohhhh ..so not much lost more yet? I'm like...umm yea that's plenty. He said, but I thought you were about that a week ago. I said, yes ...but I lost a chunk right off my first day on the 3rd week. He just nodded almost like ... mmmhmm ... when will they EVER learn?!?!! lol

yvonne326
Mon, Oct-06-03, 08:44
I also switched from modified Atkins to CAD and am up 2 lbs but I heard this is normal so I am not letting it get to me. I know its water weight plus the fact that I am exercising again and have had a very strenuous weekend (painting, shampooing rugs, housework). So give it a week or two and you should see weight start to drop.

Valkyrie
Mon, Oct-06-03, 09:57
I switched over from Atkins to CALP about five weeks ago and I didn't gain any weight at all. In fact, after being stuck on a plateau for months and months on Atkins I am absolutely delighted to report that I have now lost 10lbs which for me, considering I have been struggling to lose any weight for years, is astounding. I was very afraid of including carbs in my RM's but have tried to do so gradually. I will have a low carb dessert or some low carb pasta or something and it hasn't stopped the weight loss or raised my blood glucose levels (I am a diabetic). I started exercising this morning with a long walk in the early morning (got nearly blown over in the gales and also got soaked in two downpours - that'll teach me to start exercise regimes in the summer). Anyway that should assist with the weight loss I hope. CAD/CALP is fantastic!

Divina99
Mon, Oct-06-03, 10:26
WOW what terrific News Val! :yay:

I also try to keep my RM's LC when possible (weekends with the in-laws makes it hard). I think this works best for me. As potatofree, sugar seems to be my trigger. I can eat a well balanced LC RM and feel comfortably full but, once I include something sweet for dessert...I feel like I can keep going for 2nds, 3rds and so on. I know that with CAD if you do want seconds you have to start with protein and veggies. I just want to keep eating dessert! :lol:

Congratulations on your weight loss...you are on a roll!! :roll: