PDA

View Full Version : New Dieter with a question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

dirtyd151
Fri, Oct-03-03, 11:25
I have just been on my lc diet a week. It was instructed by my doctor. He just gave me eight things not to eat(ex. bread, potatoes, pasta, soft drinks, desserts, beef, corn, and alcohol). I have not read a lc book yet but I thought that his restrictions were very similar to what I have heard about lc dieting. I currently eat salads with grilled chicken on them with regular salad dressing. The salad dressing says 1 gram of carbs per serving. I am wondering if I should go for a fat free dressing or this one is just fine. Also, I had a question about fruit. Can you eat it or not? Sorry for the lengthy post. I have lost 5 pounds in a week so it has quickly got my attention and I am very interested in continuing the diet and losing weight.
Thank you for your time,
Doug

Ohio Kim
Fri, Oct-03-03, 11:27
dirtyd151:
If you go to www.atkins.com it will give you all sorts of advice and tell you what you can and can not eat. Also, low fat usually means High Carbs. So beware and Welcome!

Zimms
Sat, Oct-04-03, 21:33
Hi Doug and Welcome! :wave:
It sounds like your Dr. has given some good advice. It does sound like a lot of the low-carb plans (although on many of them you wouldn't have to give up beef). It is hard to give specific answers to your questions without knowing what plan you are going to follow. A good place to start is the link on the right hand side of this page titled "Which low-carb plan is right for me?".

You have had a great start and I wish you the best with this. Chris

madmike
Sat, Oct-04-03, 21:40
Hi Doug:

Welcome to the forum! I would suggest you go buy Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, sit down and read it from cover to cover. You will not only understand exactly what to do, but why it works. Good luck... Mike

LilaCotton
Sat, Oct-04-03, 22:01
I'm new to this myself, but wanted to say, 'Hi, and welcome!' I would like to add something about that fat-free stuff. Avoid it!! I noticed some years ago that they replaced the fat with either sugar or high fructose corn syrup. Not only did they ruin the taste of a lot of good dressings that way, but managed to increase the carb count as well.

I think as you read through some of the various info available on these diets you'll be absolutely surprised by what you can eat and still lose weight, and at a good pace without ever feeling hungry. :)

dirtyd151
Mon, Oct-06-03, 08:44
Thank you all for your help and making me feel welcome. It is very encouraging to know people are out there to help. I just recently ordered the Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution book and I'm sure I will get a better understanding of how it all works.

Thanks again,

Doug

CindySue48
Mon, Oct-06-03, 18:40
Doug

Check out the Atkins site too http://atkins.com/

There are so many interesting articles on there and Dr A takes you thru step by step.

It is still very important to read the book (or maybe even 2 or 3)...but the Atkins site is a great place to get info until the book arrives.

Also check out the link ( http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/index.html ) on the different plans out there. You just might find another plan that suits you better.

The important thing is to eat low carb. Initially you should have very low carbs....basically get your carbs from your veggies. Eventually you can add carbs...I just added berries this week! I LOVE my night time snack of berries and whipped cream!

Many docs advise against beef....it goes back to the saturated fat fears! But....I'd be willing to bet s/he didn't advise you against margarine! Margarine is LOADED with trans-fats, which are felt to be more dangerous than saturated fats are!

Your doc gave you good advice in recomending Low Carb....but it's obvious he's never read the book! LOL

Take his advice and stick with the LC....but do it right.

Become a label reader! When you're not sure if you should get something "lite" or "diet" check the carb count.....then check the same product in "regular". The fats will be higher, but the carbs will be MUCH lower. And it's the carbs, not the fat that causes problems with obesity, diabetes, etc.

Oh! And welcome to the forum!