PDA

View Full Version : Marathon Runners

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

EdB
Thu, Oct-02-03, 15:34
I'll be running the Chicago Marathon on Sunday Oct 12th. I've done the training, actually 5 20+ milers. Starting to taaaper aand having thoughts of pre race fare. During my long runs I used gels, 25 carbs/100 cal, every half hour and sport drinks, about 6 oz., about evry quater hour. I expcet to run about a minute faster per mile during the marathon than the training runs.

Questions:
1. Do I carb load the night before? I plan to hydrate all week and drink only a little the moring of the race. I haven't had pasta since starting low carb. I suppose without enlightenment from this forum I'll just eat a normal meal the night before, a light breakfast and a Cliff bar before the race.

2. I intend to up the gel consumption. Based more on miles than time. Any ideas on how much?

Just a point of fact; I didn't lose a pound nor an inch training for this race. I know there's a lot of factors; activity after runs, quantity of food consumed and some increase in carbs. I thought I'd lose a couple though

If any other marathoners want to lend some advice I'm ssure willing to listen.

ED

:hyper:

mmoranmic
Thu, Oct-02-03, 19:50
Hi Ed,
First of all, congratulations on your upcoming marathon! Your hard work and effort are paying off!
Before low carbing I've run 5 marathons, 6 50 milers, 4 100 milers, etc. Since low carbing (appx 100 carbs a day) I've run 1 100 mile (trail) a couple of 50 milers, a 250 mile 9 day hike and a 24 hour track run. Like you I use gels and performance food when I'm running/hiking.
RE: Carb loading I do not carbo load the night before a race. I eat light (scrambled egg whites), veggies, etc. I don't like the bloated feeling of my body trying to process the carbs.
Do you eat breakfast before your long runs? How do you feel running after eating? Before a long training run (20 miles or more) I eat a regular breakfast. Example, last Saturday I ate sausage (low fat chicken) and veggies before my run. I felt fine and instead of gels I ate raisens and PR bars.
During a race (upcoming 24 hour) I will use gels and drink Sustained Energy or Perputuem. It is recommended that you eat 200 calories an hour for runs over a few hours. That's what I do to maintain my energy although I don't eat anything for the first hour of running since I still have breakfast.
Good luck to you! Please write up a report of how well you did! It really inspires us to keep with this lifestyle!
Take Care,
Maureen

EdB
Thu, Oct-02-03, 20:18
Maureen

Thanks for the info. I really do appreciate it. I'm impressed with your running. You're inspirational! Right before I clicked over here to read your response I was on Runners World's website looking at ultra info. I see that CA has a lot. Maybe an ultra in the spring.

I see that 200 cal/hr is a common recommendation. I always think that they are referring to the typical 150 pound male runner. At 195 and a 8:50 mile I'll burn about 867 calories an hour. A couple of gels and a few glasses of Gatorade (its what they serve at the water stops) each hour will give me about 300 leaving a deficit of 567. I don’t think I could do much more than that. Maybe a Clif bar somewhere around 18 miles?

Before a long training run I too eat a light breakfast. It may seem heavy for you but its a couple of slices of low carb bread (Natural Ovens, Its really good) and a couple of eggs and of course a diet Coke. (I know the diet coke isn’t exactly kosher but it a pretty harmless vice.) Before the marathon the Marathon team I’m running with is having a pasta party. I just can't get up for pasta. Seems like I'll blow up or throw up - which ever comes first.
Thanks for the advice and the good wishes

Ed

mmoranmic
Fri, Oct-03-03, 10:05
Hi Ed,
Your breakfast sounds good to me! I see a future ultra-runner! RE: caloric intake, my research indicates that your liver can only process 200 calories an hour during exercise, that's why the 200 number. I use 100 calories per mile as an indicator of how many calories I am burning. For the marathon I would use a gel every half hour (I wear a single water belt) and I pass on the gatorade. Since I have my own bottle I only need to fill it up every few aid stations, hence avoiding the crowds. I hope that helps. I totaly agree with you on the pasta dinner, YUCK! I eat spaghetti sauce with meat over scrambled egg whites, that's one of my favorites.
Take care,
Maureen

EdB
Sat, Oct-04-03, 04:05
Maureen

Thanks for the info on the liver. Now that makes sense. As to calories burnt per mile I know of several calculators but the Runner's World website calculators. indicate that a person at 150 lbs. is burning 114 calories a mile while at 200 pounds a 152 calories per mile are burnt.

I never thought about spaghetti sauce over egg whites. I’ll try it. I have used spaghetti sauce over chicken breasts cover by mozzarella cheese. If you want something thats similar to spaghetti noodles I’ve tried spaghetti squash and have liked it.

Avoiding crowds at water stops, don't think that's possible. Our running group meet with the Chicago Marathon race director last Wednesday. Registered runners total 41,000. He expects at least 34,000 to start. Amazing fact, out of the 33,000 that started last year’s marathon all but 400 finished, a 98.8 success rate. The downside / upside is that you’re always with a crowd. They might get in the way but their energy really pulls you along.

Thanks again

Ed

millermack
Fri, Oct-10-03, 09:35
I have a half-marathon (first of my life) coming up in January, and reading these threads gives me hope that I don't have to abandon my new WOE to participate.

For my two cents, I have been running 6 miles in the early morning before breakfast 3 times per week. I have nothing but an extra-large glass of water before the runs. I have a good low-carb breakfast and coffee afterwards. I have had absolutely no problem with those distances.

Recently I ran a 5K (also the first race of my life), and the only thing I had before the race was an Atkin's Advantage LC bar and a couple cups of coffee.

I've been concerned about the half-marathon (13.1 miles), but it sounds like low-carbing isn't going to present a problem.

EdB
Fri, Oct-10-03, 09:48
millermack

Go for it. Low carbing is very compatible with long distance running despite what the professionals will tell you. Perhaps induction phase could be a problem for some but it wasn't for me. I did my first half marathon just a few weeks after starting low carbing, a week after induction. I was slow but that could have been becuase I was 50 pounds heavier. For good training programs go to halhigdon.com, runnersworld.com or just do a search for half marathon training. Just don't listen to hal's advice on nutrition.

I have no problem running 10 to 15 miles on an empty stomach but you should know I'm a late eater. I'm still working off diner on morning runs. For your half just do what worked for you on your longer training runs. You could throw in some gels or sports drinks but for a half you won't be in need of much. It not until you get beyond 2-3 hours that problems really start to develop. I'm sure you've heard about heating the wall at twenty miles into a run. That's when no more readily avaible engery sources are available.

Good luck

Ed

skibunnie
Sun, Oct-19-03, 13:06
So when you guys run long distance, how much of it do you walk? I hear some people run for 10, walk for 1, ect. Im thinking I might try to train for a race this spring, any tips?

mmoranmic
Sun, Oct-19-03, 21:26
Hi SkiBunny,
RE: How much do I run/walk. It depends on my condition, what I'm training for or what I'm doing. Right now I'm training for a 24 hour track run on Nov 8th. Yesterday I ran 30 miles on the track. I ran 4 laps at a 9:45-10:00 mile pace, then I walked one lap. It seemed to work o.k. for me. In the past I've run 10 laps then walked one or two but I did more walking later in the night.
You may wish to begin a jog/walk program and slowly build up to less walking and more running. You may consider joining a local track club as many have training groups to train for a marathon or for shorter races. Most of my running is on trails (except for the track stuff).
Regards,
Maureen

EdB
Mon, Oct-20-03, 07:03
Skibunnie

I just ran Chicago and didn’t walk. I slowed down for water but never really walked. Your question is a very good one though. Jeff Galloway believes in walking and running. Basically it depends on what your training for or trying to accomplish. His website is JeffGalloway.com. I hope this helps.

Ed

kghamilton
Mon, Oct-20-03, 14:06
Ed makes a good point...it depends on your goals. I try to run marathons all the way through, although 2 of my tougher marathons (Grandfather Mrn and Ellerbe) I had planned to walk some of the bigger hills.
I have found that psychologically, my goal is to keep running.
When I finally do that first ultra, that will be a different story and I will have a strategy with running built in.