PDA

View Full Version : I think I can I think I can.......

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jknowles
Thu, Oct-02-03, 08:40
I tried Atkins almost two years ago, and I did lose weight, unfortunately I gained what I lost, just by a really bad diet. I am TIRED of being FAT. I am going back home to visit my family that hasnt seen me in 3 years and I am ashamed that I look the same as I did then. I was watching the obituaries on TV this morning and 4 ladies all in their early 30's died and despite that they dont tell you how the people died, everyone of their pictures was an overweight person. I dont know if that was a wake up call or what, but I am realizing that I am just not healthy. I am coming back to Atkins because it did work when I did it before. I just really really need some support. I am scared, and I dont know why. But, I would rather start this now, lose a few pounds before my trip and get on a path to a healthier lifestyle. I am not thinking Im going to lose a ton of weight in two weeks, but I would rather go to the store and by size 20 pants than 22 which is what I am in now. I wish I knew what I was so afraid of. I dont know if it is the fear of failure, but it is overwelming.

jesslive
Thu, Oct-02-03, 08:46
I was very overwhelmed when I first started as well, but following this WOE has really impressed me. For the first time in my life the scale keeps staying the same or going down. I am not hungry, and I feel healthy.

You can get plenty of support here, and hopefully reading others posts will help reassure you that you are doing the right thing. Fear is a valid feeling, and there are plenty of people on this board who can help you through it.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your visit home! :)

Ohio Kim
Thu, Oct-02-03, 08:46
Welcom Back. Take a deep breath and smile. You have decided you are taking control. I honestly believe sometimes we go into a diet or other plan halfassed and although we want the results, we aren't willing to put forth the full effort and really give it a try. It sounds to me like you have made your mind up that you are going to take control and I believe you will succeed. Believe me, I have tried yo-yo diets before and with this WOE, I totally feel different. Now you truly understand that this is a WOE and what happens if you just go back to your old eating habbits. Good Luck. I know you will succeed.

Nettie3950
Thu, Oct-02-03, 13:09
I can totally relate to you on this one. I recently went home to see my parents last month whom I haven't seen in 3 years. At first I was ashamed for them to see me this way. Although I am some smaller than I was before I thought that they would make fun of me. When I did see them they were very supportive and congratulated me on my (small) but still successful triumph. But a few weeks before my trip I decided I was was going to make a change just like you. Thank God I found the Atkins Way Of Life !!!! I am so sure that you will do well this time. Just remember that you have people here rooting for you. This is one of the best site that I have found. Thank you all for your input it has helped me greatly.

Annette

addicted2s
Thu, Oct-02-03, 20:33
Hello and welcome to the site.

Happy Low carb wishes to you. :yay:

jknowles
Fri, Oct-03-03, 18:39
Just want to tell everyone thanks for their words of support, it felt great to log on tonight and see people actually talking to me! I am proud to say that today I have managed to get through my full second day on Atkins, and no bad headaches (yet) like last time. I am wondering if anyone found themselves grumpy while on this diet, and what do you do to counteract that. I dont have that problem now, but I did last time, and I want to have the ammo to overcome it if it happens again. Any suggestions?

LilaCotton
Fri, Oct-03-03, 19:07
I wish you great success! I'm new here, too, and this will be my first 'diet' in a long, long time. Thing is, though, this is something I know I'll be able to stick with for life, and I know that's what it's going to take.

I had to go to town today, and by the time I got home I had a headache, but I know what it was from--because I was getting pretty hungry. A healthy snack and a handful of pork rinds took care of it right away, plus gave me some extra zip. I'm still in carb withdrawal, so am feeling a little balmy, LOL.

Hmmm, grumpy? There are four of us in this household who just started Atkins a couple of days ago. One of them is really grumpy, says she keeps wanting sugar! I'm not used to eating tons of sugar anyway, so I think that's why my body's not screaming for it. Of course, the next time I go to the store and have to pass by the chocolate cake donuts, I'm going to wimper some--just glad I don't go to that store often. ;)

Best of luck to you!

addicted2s
Fri, Oct-03-03, 19:48
Hello,
I had headaches the first few days too, but nothing seemed to help me. I hope someone will have something for you on that. The hubby Andy said I was grumpy also but it past soon enough.
I've been doing the LC thing now for almost nine weeks and it is alot easier now then it was, I realized I could actually eat more food then I was eating. Just not that high carb stuff.

Have a great day Tina

LilaCotton
Sat, Oct-04-03, 00:09
Yes, I think it's important to try to get a good amount of food (the right stuff) into your body during the first couple of weeks. Since we've been on this (past couple of days) everything's been super hectic, so everyone's just kind of been grabbing what they can to get them through the day 'legally'. I took a look at everyone's carbs tonight and some of them hadn't had more than 4 all day! I could only sort of do grocery shopping the other evening and grabbed just enough stuff to see us to the end of the week. I know better now, though, just exactly what to look for so will take care of that tomorrow. I've no doubt within a few days everyone will be feeling much better. This evening I have a mild headache, but I know it will pass. Like I said, this last part of the week was super high stress, LOL.

I told the grumpy ones that now they kind of know what it's like to quit smoking--which I have attempted several times with no success for various reasons. I think now, though, after I manage to shed some weight, that will be one of the things I tackle. I do believe I could do it this time.

daisy13
Sat, Oct-04-03, 01:04
jknowles--I know how you feel about going to see your family. I moved to Australia from the US about 15 months ago. I went back in May and wanted to really impress everyone and them not recognize...didn't happen. I have family coming in a week, and it's not going to happen then either, but I figure if I stick to this WOE then hopefully by the time I go back in a year then they won't recognize me and I will impress them : )

LilaCotton--I know how the person in your household who is having sugar withdrawals feels. I think that's why i can't seem to stick with one diet b/c the sugar just takes over. I have cravings for ice cream like crazy, and I just discovered Marshmallow creme in this country and have been craving that as well. We'll get through it just have to have lots of will power. : (